Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which bodies to keep

I realized last night that I am perhaps over-stocked in film bodies, given that I shoot 95% digital and maybe only go through 1-2 rolls of film a month. A while back, after years of lust, I bought an MZ-S, and it is a fantastic camera that does everything I could want and way more. (Well, barring body control of aperture... almost everything!) But I find myself nevertheless spreading my rolls around, using my MX, my XR-7, a Super Program I just picked up, even a Spotmatic I found at a garage sale. True, my results with the MZ-S are consistently better, but maybe I am as much a camera enthusiast/putterer as an amateur photographer. Still, it seems a shame to have such a great body and use it only a few rolls a year. So I am considering a few options, and while I know it is a personal decision and you can't know what is right for me nevertheless I wonder what you would do in my shoes:

1) Sell all but the MZS (and my old K1000), and use it for any and all film shooting.

2) Sell the MZS; continue to putter around with the Super Program, MX, XR-7, K1000 etc.

or 3) Just sit tight. Work with what I have until the answer becomes clear.

The only downside to #3 is that of course any sales profits from 1 and 2 could be "re-invested" in lenses....

Thanks in advance! Nick

01-29-2009, 09:56 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Every so often I see a MZS for sale and buy fever sets in. I've always let it pass and I'm always glad I did. When I putter with film, as you say, I have more fun with the manual cameras, even if I might get better results with something more advanced. Plus the fact that you're older bodies will bring in little money, I vote for selling the MZS.
Ryan
01-29-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I would sell the K1000. I have used them but never really liked them. I could have bought one new but I chose something else. The K1000 has a high resale value compared to its utility, and its utility is duplicated by any other camera you might own.

I would keep the MX and MZ-S because these are cameras that Pentax put some extra effort into. Example: the pentaprism in the MX is plated in silver, not aluminum. They might be the kind of camera you sell, then a year later have to buy again.

So far I have resisted the urge to own a screwmount body, but I can see the attraction so I wouldn't dump the Spotmatic right away either. It might tempt you to own a complete set of Takumars but is that really bad?

The Super Program can do TTL flash, which attracts me because I use a TTL flash with my DS. But that would probably work better with the MZ-S. I can't come up with an excuse for keeping the XR-7 because I don't know much about it. Maybe sell those two.

If it was me, I would consider acquisition costs. If I got something useful for free, like a body for the price of its lens, why not keep it? The cameras I propose selling are not going to generate huge profits anyway.
01-29-2009, 11:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If just keeping one film camera, I'd keep the Super Program and sell the rest (that's what I might be doing anyway ). That camera is a perfect combination of Auto and Manual imo.

If keeping two, I'd keep the MX (full manual) and the MZS. I don't think you can get much money back by selling all these film cameras anyway, just sell those you don't really need, and keep what you need, so you won't have problem deciding which camera to bring when you go out shooting film

01-30-2009, 01:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Do you REALLY need to get rid of them?
I would keep all, take the batteries out of the ones you will not use

Anyways, take each camera with you for a month and shoot only with it
then decide which one you like the least and get rid of it.

From a $$ point of view, see in which bodies you can make a good profit (The k-1000 probably) and which lenses do you want

If you decide to get rid of the MX let me know, that is one I have never had but would love to.

Last edited by titrisol; 01-30-2009 at 01:20 AM.
01-30-2009, 01:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I agreed with ryno, sell the MZ-S. Puttering with film SLRs will be more satisfactory with a full manual camera.
01-30-2009, 08:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'll vote for keeping the MZ-S and the MX. That way, you can putter about with manual, but still have a capable AF body when you need it. The K1000 you can let go of - it really is more of a cult camera nowadays than anything else, with other bodies able to do more than what the K1000 can do for cheaper than the price of a K1000 today.

Unless you find an interest in collecting like I do (though I still take them out for a spin regularly), you'd be better served by getting lenses instead.
01-30-2009, 09:39 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unless you really want AF, I would keep the XR7 and the MX and pick up junker bodies for both to use for parts. The Super Program is a nice camera, but I like the handling and features of the XR7 better. Neither the XR7 nor the Super Program are worth beans at market unless they are in extraordinary condition.

Steve

01-30-2009, 10:50 AM   #9
Pentaxian

it depends on the objective.

I have 3 film bodies KX Ricoh XR2s and PZ-1, and if I were to sell one ti would be the XR2s.

My logic is the PZ-1 is a very nice back up to the *istD and K10D, and the KX only needs batteries to meter, and I have an external meter if those fail.

at the end of the day, while I like the XR2s and its viewfinder and focusing screen, it is just another film camera, it needs batteries to work on all but X.

since you shoot mostly digital keep the body that works best with the bulk of the lenses you own, plus one that needs no batteries. I forget if the MX is mechanical or electronic shutter.
01-30-2009, 05:23 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Rarely seen used, the MZ-S still seems to sell for a relatively high price.
The other bodies you have are worth but a fraction in today's market.

Chris
01-30-2009, 09:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I forget if the MX is mechanical or electronic shutter.
It's mechanical. I really think Nick ought to keep that MX. I feel it's the all-mechanical (save for the light meter) sibling to the LX.
01-31-2009, 05:51 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! Further input is still welcome, too. There are a lot of good ideas here, different things to consider. I am well aware that selling the older bodies won't bring in much cash, but really it would be all about reducing clutter, physical and mental. I acquired most of them at discount rates in one circumstance or another, so it isn't like I would be taking a huge loss. I recently came across the Super Program, so I may just play with that for a while to see if it could/should replace the MZ-S as my AE body. Still, every time I hold the latter camera it blows me away. And unfortunately my K1000 is pretty beat up, I used it alone for many years before this acquisition addiction got out of hand. So it is unclear if it retains any actual value to outweigh the sentimental attachment I have to it.

Vinzer, maybe you are right and I should start thinking of it as a collection rather than just a hobby that has gotten out of hand. Although that may open a door better shut... there are many more bodies to collect.
01-31-2009, 07:30 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I won't advise; it's hard to guess what you will enjoy most in the long run. Shooting a variety of film bodies is an indulgence most of us can afford now if we couldn't have afforded it 20 years ago. There's really nothing wrong with it.

But I will say that as I go through my cameras in their more or less equitable rotation, whenever I put a roll through the K1000, I find myself awash in calm and harmony. Always surprises me. And I get good pictures. I could probably dispose of all my other 35mm bodies one way or another -- yes, including the fine LX -- use only the K1000 and be happy.
01-31-2009, 08:14 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Thanks everyone! Further input is still welcome, too. There are a lot of good ideas here, different things to consider. I am well aware that selling the older bodies won't bring in much cash, but really it would be all about reducing clutter, physical and mental. I acquired most of them at discount rates in one circumstance or another, so it isn't like I would be taking a huge loss. I recently came across the Super Program, so I may just play with that for a while to see if it could/should replace the MZ-S as my AE body. Still, every time I hold the latter camera it blows me away. And unfortunately my K1000 is pretty beat up, I used it alone for many years before this acquisition addiction got out of hand. So it is unclear if it retains any actual value to outweigh the sentimental attachment I have to it.

Vinzer, maybe you are right and I should start thinking of it as a collection rather than just a hobby that has gotten out of hand. Although that may open a door better shut... there are many more bodies to collect.
Oh man, you tell me. I've been going to the used stores week in and week out, looking for new bodies to add to the collection. I used to go there to find lenses, but that has turned into camera-hunting. It's really not practical, as lenses would definitely be the better investment, but I feel that I'm already covered by the few lenses I already have, covering a 28-150 range (just about covers 99% of my shooting needs) with decent speed to boot.

So while I'm still on the lookout for used, specific lenses that would help my kit's versatility (>200mm focal length, <20mm length, and a 1:1 macro lens - these are hard to find used in my neck of the woods), more often than not, what's available are film bodies and the usual lenses (predominantly fast fifties), so I figured I'd eke out a side hobby of collecting cameras.

I'm not even complete with the K-series, and there's still the M-series, Spotmatics, P-series, MZ-series, and the Super Programs. Between that and the other K-mount cameras and M42 cameras, this side hobby's still got quite a future for it. The challenge for me is acquiring cameras for a decent price, not go overboard and overpay for it.

I just wish I lived in the US or Canada, though. It's easier to source used stuff there without having to be charged the price of a full used camera everytime you have something shipped to your home.
01-31-2009, 08:22 AM   #15

I'd keep the MZ-S and the K1000.

But you should really get rid of that MX... crappy little thing. I tell you what, send it to me and I'll dispose of it. I know, my kindness will be the end of me.