Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2007, 04:21 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Randy,

Dap has the right idea. Keep it simple stupid.. (KISS)
I have lenses that I have used for more than 50 years and the glass is still pristine. I have never damaged a lens.
The key word is "GENTLY"
First I blow gently to remove any hint of grit. Then, just to be sure, I gently use a soft sable brush that is never touched by my fingers. Occasionaly the brush is vacuumed. Then, if necessary, I breath gently on the lens to deposit a miniscule amount of moisture and wipe gently with a soft, lint free cloth. Old cloth diapers were the best but I can't find them any more so old, worn T shirts work well. I have recently converted to microfibre cloths which seem to be very good, indeed.
Regardless of what detractors may say, skylight or haze or UV filters have saved many a lens from the scrap heap.
The fact that I don't like garlic might be one reason my lenses are in such good condition despite my occasional exhalations.

Mickey

05-25-2007, 07:45 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I have very little to add to this except that the conventional wisdom always was never to use a liquid directly on the lens.
05-25-2007, 01:07 PM   #18

I've been using a Lenspen on my camera lenses and telescope eypeices for years. Works great for me, and never had a problem with scratches, scum, or scraps.