Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's alive!!!!

Welp I finished developing my first roll of B&W film (Tmax 400) about 2:30 hours ago and they are looking good. I can see the images on the negatives. So now I'm going to go and play with my Epson 4490 scanner so when the negs are dry I can start scanning them and upload for you all to see how they came out. After I got through the anxiety of doing this, it was really a piece of cake to me. Thank you all for helping me do this, I really appreciate it.

Jim

01-31-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can't wait for you to post some samples. I have a soft spot for genuine black & white photography.
01-31-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, I am working on flatting out the negatives right now. I have placed them in a book, so hopefully soon I can show what I did.

Thanks
Jim
01-31-2009, 06:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

1.Go outside and dig up a couple of boulders.
2.Place boulders over books.
3.???
4.PROFIT!

01-31-2009, 11:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well here are a few that came out looking good. So for the new folks who are thinking about giving this a shot. It isn't all that hard. Oh and these were with the Kodak T-Max 400 film

Jim
02-01-2009, 04:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

How did you develop those?
time - temp -agitation?
D76 stock or 1+1
02-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
How did you develop those?
time - temp -agitation?
D76 stock or 1+1
Hi, this is how I did this batch.

Kodak d-76 developer (mixed with 1 gallon water)(this came in powder)
Kodak Professional Fixer (mixed with 1 gallon water)(this came in powder)
Kodak Photo-flo 200

First
400ml of developer full strength for 8 mins at 69 degrees, I agitated for the first minute, then for 5 seconds each of the remaining minutes.

Rinsed in full developer tank of water (temp was about room temp) for 30 seconds agitating the entire time.

400ml Fixer full strength for 10 minutes agitating for the first 30 seconds then at 30 second intervals

Rinsed under running water for 30 seconds (temp was same as above)

Then filled and emptied tank with water 10 times. (temp was same as above)

Take off lid and I added a cap full of Photo flo 200 and filled up the tank with water for 30 seconds and agitated it for the first 5 seconds (temp was same as above)

Then ran water on the film and got some suds off of it, squeegeed the film between my fingers and then hung them up to dry. (At this point I could see images on my films (I was very happy)) It took about 3 hours for my film to dry, this was in the bathroom that has heated floors and I kept the door closed and lights on so maybe that extra heat helped speed up the drying process.

So that's what my process was. I did notice last night there are some water spots on a few negatives but nothing major. I will have to check to see what I might have done that would have created those.

So does anyone have any suggestions on this process? Maybe something I did wrong.

Thanks
Jim
02-01-2009, 05:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I may be out of line, but isn't there a stop bath missing between the developer and fixer?

02-01-2009, 06:03 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Alex from what I have heard is you can skip the stop bath if you increase your rinse. And this is what I chose to do and it seems like it worked fine.

Thanks
Jim
02-02-2009, 04:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Rinse twice between developer and fixer and you'll be fine.
Do not fill the tnak to the brim to rinse, but add the same amount of water you used for developer

Or you can just dump the fixer after developer but do not reuse fixer

Now if you are compelled to use stop bath buy some citric acid and dilute (5%), or some white distilled vinegar (1+3) diluted in water

Last edited by titrisol; 02-02-2009 at 06:16 AM.
02-02-2009, 05:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nachodog Quote
I may be out of line, but isn't there a stop bath missing between the developer and fixer?
I've had to forgo stop bath because B&H won't ship it. The problem with living in the boonies, I guess.
02-02-2009, 07:10 AM   #12
Pentaxian

there used to be a requirement to bump/tap the developing can on the counter, to shake off any bubbles that are on the film after filling?

Did you notice anything related to bubbles?

Also, with respect to heat dry in the bathroom, not necessairly the most "dust free" environment. Lint from towels ect. Dust is your biggest enemy.

I would be curious to see a close up of the negative scan, as I was never happy with my flatbed scanner, compared to my Minolta Dimage II
02-02-2009, 09:11 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies everyone.
Lowell the only bubbles I noticed was when I had put in the Photoflo at the end. There were lots of bubbles/suds that came off.

As far as the images straight from the scanner. I will post a couple tonight when I get home. I was using the Epson Perfection 4490 with the VueScan software. The resolution was on auto. I might play with that a little bit more tonight to.

Thanks
Jim