Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2009, 09:37 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
PX625 replacements .... where?

I am looking for guidance as where I can purchase replacement batteries for the outlawed PX625. I have seen 'Weincell MRB625" cells for $10 each at a certain Canadian camera store; are there cheaper places and prices? I think I bought some from 'FreeStyle' in the US a while back but they don't seem to sell them anymore. I have seen the 1.55v alkaline replacement but I prefer the 1.35v zinc/air type.

If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be very appreciative.

(I started the thread here as I think the Spotmatic uses this battery.)

02-01-2009, 10:52 AM   #2
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use these adapters and hearing aid batteries:

Nikon F meter batteries

I use these in several different cameras and light meters with great success. Just be aware the batteries only last a few months, not years like the mercury cells.

Last edited by WJW; 02-01-2009 at 10:58 AM.
02-01-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Amazon.com: Wein Cell PX625/PX13 Battery 1.35 Volts: Electronics

Mercury batteries are nio longer available to the best of my knowledge. The Wein Zinc Air batteries will work, but they have a very short useful life (Like about a week).

Here's some more links you might like:
Cheap Easy Mercury Battery Replacement

and
Favorite Classics / Mercury Battery

which indicates you might still be able to find real mercury batteries if you know where to look.
02-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by WJW Quote
I use these adapters and hearing aid batteries:

Nikon F meter batteries

I use these in several different cameras and light meters with great success. Just be aware the batteries only last a few months, not years like the mercury cells.
I use adapters with silver oxide cells. This is by far the least expensive adapter I have seen to date. I think I'll give this a try for my Photomic Nikon. Very nice.

Seaain

02-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it is for a Spottie, my experience show that any Silver battery will work
I think 392 is the best size, just remeber to put the + in the right place.
02-01-2009, 01:51 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies folks. The batteries are for a couple of old Yashica's, a Canonet and a Konica Auto S2. I made reference to the Spottie F as it uses the dreaded PX625.

As fate would have it I have several boxes of hearing aid batteries left to me when my father in law passed away. I have tried the insulated wire hoop trick but with limited success. If it isn't a perfect fit they can be giggled out and the meter stops working. The Weincell's are bloody expensive and don't last more than a few weeks.

I'll try some of the alternatives offered here; thanks again.
02-01-2009, 04:56 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Just tossed one out today. It was in an envelope and had been used in my Yashicamat 2 /1/4 , many years ago. I tested it, it was DOA. I'll read this thread to check out replacement options.

02-01-2009, 05:47 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
If it is for a Spottie, my experience show that any Silver battery will work
I think 392 is the best size, just remeber to put the + in the right place.
This is correct. The higher voltage with the silver cells does not affect the Spotmatic. It has a compensating "bridge" circuit that drives the meter.

Steve
02-01-2009, 07:16 PM   #9
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Thanks for all the replies folks. The batteries are for a couple of old Yashica's, a Canonet and a Konica Auto S2. I made reference to the Spottie F as it uses the dreaded PX625.

As fate would have it I have several boxes of hearing aid batteries left to me when my father in law passed away. I have tried the insulated wire hoop trick but with limited success. If it isn't a perfect fit they can be giggled out and the meter stops working. The Weincell's are bloody expensive and don't last more than a few weeks.

I'll try some of the alternatives offered here; thanks again.
I've used the adapters in a Yashica-Mat 124 and in a Canonet G-III. I did have to add a small copper shim in the Canonet sine the battery is not as thick as the original and there is no spring.

Jeff
02-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

FYI, though, Adorama has the Wein cells for about 4.50 (I keep em on my shopping list. For some reason, they seem to live quite a while in my FTb, but I still kind of don't trust them.

I'd still like to make up some silver cell adapters for my older Canons, what model batteries are you guys using?
02-01-2009, 09:39 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Amazon.com: Wein Cell PX625/PX13 Battery 1.35 Volts: Electronics

Mercury batteries are nio longer available to the best of my knowledge. The Wein Zinc Air batteries will work, but they have a very short useful life (Like about a week).

Here's some more links you might like:
Cheap Easy Mercury Battery Replacement

and
Favorite Classics / Mercury Battery

which indicates you might still be able to find real mercury batteries if you know where to look.
I'm using zinc-air batteries as well (for my Yashica 124G TLR ), battery life can be longer if you seal both + and - side with tape everytime after using it (especially the two small holes). Mine had been lasted for about 9 months but the contacts start turning black ... thus I'd replaced a new one.
02-02-2009, 02:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I use zinc-air 625's in my OM-1. They work well enough and are cheap.
02-02-2009, 04:42 AM   #13
Pentaxian

FWIW I have a yashica Electro and decided to try Silver batteries into it.
I used some electricican's tape to put 4 together and an old flashlight spring to make the thing fit in the ompartment. The exposure was within 1/2 stop from a Nikon FE meter at beginnign, and after 3 rolls, so I assume it is good enough.
02-03-2009, 09:52 PM   #14

i just recently purchased a Leica CL and had this same issue. i ended-up getting an adapter for 1.55v silver-oxide batteries. the guy who wrote this article (pdf) sells his own, or a kit so you can make it yourself. i bought two from him. sent fast, nice guy, packaged nicely. and they seem to work!

his contact info is in the article, after all of the really great technical info and whatnot.
02-03-2009, 10:15 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You might try here - 2pk @ $9

Alkaline replacements for PX625 - $4
Silver Oxide replacements (Scroll down in the table)
http://www.photobattery.com/#Btable

Zinc-Air (not as easy as Alkaline)
Zinc-Air Mercury Replacements at PhotoBattery.com

I beleive the Spotmatic has a crossover built in that allows the 1.5V battery to work and meter correctly.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-03-2009 at 10:24 PM.