Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

So I just got a BNIB MZ-M...

I do really want to play with film but i don't know if I really need a brand new camera to do so. I'm wondering if perhaps I can sell this as a BNIB item and get a used ME super or Spotmatic ES II instead with the funds. So to put it simply, is it worth it to keep the *new* MZ-M or just sell it and use a cheapo body? How much does this MZ-M go for if it's BNIB?

Last edited by Andi Lo; 02-01-2009 at 09:34 PM.
02-01-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

sorry to burst your buble but MZ-M's are bottom of the barrel cameras, i doubt you'll get more than $50 for it. might as well keep it and have some fun.
02-01-2009, 10:33 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I'd not say bottom of the barrel, it's an odd one in the fact that it was the only 'new' manual focus body introduced well into the 3rd generation of autofocus pentax bodies. Has most the conveniences of the MZ series (Auto, Av, Tv and Manual Exposure, built in winder, DOF preview, electronic vertical shutter, etc). With the KA2 mount, you can use lenses with or without an aperture ring.

No pop up flash, plastic 90's build quality, but at least you get some analog dials. I'd just use it than worry about sourcing an older AE body that may be in need of a good CLA, costing you extra $$$. Plus, the MZ-M has auto exposure for up to 30 seconds, something I'm not sure the older bodies do. (Barring the LX and it's IDM meter, which can meter into the minutes).
02-02-2009, 04:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Keep it and use it
it has lots of features so it should be fun to use, plus you can use the A-ring less lenses....

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I do really want to play with film but i don't know if I really need a brand new camera to do so. I'm wondering if perhaps I can sell this as a BNIB item and get a used ME super or Spotmatic ES II instead with the funds. So to put it simply, is it worth it to keep the *new* MZ-M or just sell it and use a cheapo body? How much does this MZ-M go for if it's BNIB?

02-02-2009, 08:48 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Definitely keep it and use it, it's a great little camera.

None of the MZ series fetch much on the open market (except the venerated MZ-S). Better to have a nice user camera.

I really like the viewfinder in the MZ-M. The metering display is great, the split-prism is great.
02-02-2009, 09:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess I'll keep it and just have fun
02-02-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, you save the cost of a CLA with a new camera. It should be worth more to sell, but remember not many people are looking to buy a new film camera. It's a fairly useful film body, with a lot of features. It's just a bit bigger than an MX but something like a third lighter, so it's very portable. The batteries are a drawback, and it's not going to last forever. I have one on loan to my dad.

02-03-2009, 01:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, if I can further the argument a little bit, I'd advise buying a MZ-6 (as cheap as everything film nowadays), and swap the focus screens between your mz-m and mz-6...

This way, you'll have a manual focus oriented body, but with TTL/PTTL flash (wireless and HS!) and AF capabilities (focus confirm and trap focus are really nice features to have, believe me!), going all the way to 1/4000.

I even bought a mz7 to have two different films loaded at the same time (100 & 400 iso, mainly).