Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2009, 06:26 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Who owns a chrome Pentax ES...

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

...and what version is it (Asahi Pentax or Honeywell Pentax) and what is the serial number?

I'm asking this because the chrome ES seems to be very, very rare (the chrome ES II is a lot more common). I had a discussion with another collector the other night, and he told me that it was his impression that the chrome ES was intended for the US market only.

By the way: yes I do have a chrome Honeywell Pentax ES. Bought several years ago on eBay.

02-03-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

While I admit I do not own any Pentax M42 bodies, I have this question to ask:

Is the output of a chrome body better than a black one?
02-03-2009, 07:16 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
While I admit I do not own any Pentax M42 bodies, I have this question to ask:

Is the output of a chrome body better than a black one?
I don't think so, do you think that a black 31mm Limited delivers better results than a chrome one?

But you're clearly not a collector, just an "ordinary" user (nofi)
02-03-2009, 07:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The chrome cameras take much better photos than black ones: the silver is a better heat sink, and adds in effect a reflector to even out facial illumination. Also, when you drop your camera into a lake silver is easier to find. Oh, and if you are marooned, the silver/black bodies with a hook attached make better fish lures. Finally, the silver halide in film has a 'mommy' response to a silver camera, and thus images better, being more secure.

My brother in law remembered the chrome ES / ES II's are more rare than the black ones. He looked the ES II up in his blue book and reported the chrome went for about a 50% premium over the black. I'd guess the ES difference would be even greater.

02-03-2009, 08:12 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I don't think so, do you think that a black 31mm Limited delivers better results than a chrome one?

Anyone know if the Spotmatic F was the last Pentax to bear the "Honeywell" name? Got mine in 1973 and wish I'd kept it.

Barry
02-03-2009, 08:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Die Cast Pro - Pentax Cameras

But perhaps this isn't entirely comprehensive as they don't show a chrome ES, nor your Honeywell SPF
02-03-2009, 08:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have a black Asahi Pentax ES 11, which was bought in Alberta in 1974. The ones I looked at, both in Manitoba and Alberta, both Western Canadian provinces....seemed to be chrome...but I wanted a black body, as I already had a chrome body Pentax S1a. So I got a black body, which wasn't common up here.

Back in those days (late '60's/early '70's) , in North America anyway, chrome proliferated, unlike today where ...as Henry Ford the first said....you can have any colour you want, as long as it's black.

The Canadian market were Asahi Pentax, the US Market were Honeywell Pentax. In Canada McQueen sales was the distributor for Pentax back in those days.

02-03-2009, 08:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The SP1000 my daughter stole is a Honeywell, which was contemporary to the SPF.

The ES II was the last screw mount camera, and here's a picture of a Honeywell version
Honeywell Pentax ES II

So looks like Honeywell was associated with every model till the K cameras.
02-03-2009, 08:50 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
What we're talking about. The chrome ES (from the AOHC website).
This may not look all that special to you, but try to find one in chrome... I just did a search on eBay and nothing came up.

02-03-2009, 09:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote

That I am. Collections are for museums. (clearly IMO.)
02-03-2009, 10:11 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
The SP1000 my daughter stole is a Honeywell, which was contemporary to the SPF.

The ES II was the last screw mount camera, and here's a picture of a Honeywell version
Honeywell Pentax ES II

So looks like Honeywell was associated with every model till the K cameras.
Thanks for providing that link to the ES 11....looks exactly like mine, except I have the Asahi version.

It was/is a very good camera and I almost didn't buy mine. At the time there was a Nikon Photomic for sale at a camera shop in Alberta....for a price not too different. I checked out the Photomic and I was really torn...should I get the this beautiful Nikon or the equally beautiful ES 11.

I had a Pentax S1a and just a couple of lens that I wasn't happy with...Bushnell's...a 90-230 and a 35 mm...theS1a...was great.

I finally made the decision based on the fact that getting the ES 11 would give me two Pentax bodies and that the ES 11 had features that few other cameras, including the Photomic had at the time.

I didn't regret my decision, but I just wish that 35 years ago, I had enough money to buy both a ES 11 and that Nikon Photomic.
07-16-2009, 01:14 PM   #12

Honeywell Pentax ES

I just bought a near mint, working chrome ES on *Bay for a grand total of 37.00 with shipping,. It had a perfect Super-Takumar 28/3.5 lens on it with a Tiffen IA filter on it, spotless.

I do collect them, but only ones that I can use also. I take a different one out each weekend.
07-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rcmacmillan Quote
I just bought a near mint, working chrome ES on *Bay for a grand total of 37.00 with shipping,. It had a perfect Super-Takumar 28/3.5 lens on it with a Tiffen IA filter on it, spotless.

I do collect them, but only ones that I can use also. I take a different one out each weekend.
That was a helluva deal.
07-28-2009, 08:10 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Asahiflex, I semi-track screw mount and K series bodies and concur with you assessment that chrome (silver) ES and ES II are rare. The ration on the Spot F is almost the opposite but there are more black Spot F than chrome ES or ES II. I guess since the were the "bling" cameras of the day, Pentax guessed that the black versions would be in more demand.

Here a link to pics of the ES II chrome at White metal. Die Cast Pro - Asahi Pentax ES II Chrome Index

Edit: I saw a chrome ES II and Spot F sell on ebay by Henry's for around $24 for both but neither worked but were in good physical condition.

This one is active:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Pentax-ESII-ES-II-Camera-28MM-55MM-135MM-Lens_W0...d=p3286.c0.m14

Last edited by Blue; 07-28-2009 at 12:10 PM.
08-22-2009, 01:40 PM   #15

I remember reading about the ES11 when I was about 14 years old, it was an old camera even then (ME Super days), I was trawling e-bay yesterday looking for a manual film slr for my son who's starting a photography course, when I came across a silver ES11 body, had to give it a try so eagerly waiting for delivery now...........