Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Reala and Ektar

I just got a roll of the new Kodak Ektar 100 as well as a roll of Fujicolor Reala 100 and I can't wait to shoot them! See, I've never actually used any "good" colour film before, mostly just Kodak Gold and Superia 400 and whatnot, so I thought I would try these two out and see what I have been missing out on.

I was also fairly flabbergasted at the nice colours of Ektar from samples I've seen on this forum and flickr and decided that any new film emulsion released in 2008 must be good enough to try.

So anyway guys, which is your favourite of these two very comparable (as far as I know) films? What characteristics separate them?

02-03-2009, 11:04 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I tend to post the following to show why I like Reala. Not a great picture but the blues are magnificent...

02-03-2009, 12:54 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
I tend to post the following to show why I like Reala. Not a great picture but the blues are magnificent...
Aren't they, though?

I should stop frequenting the Film SLR section (really, all of Pentaxforums for that matter)... it's making me want to just go out and photograph everything, particularly on really nice film! Surely my wallet would thank me if I just forgot about photography.

Fat chance of that though!

Actually, I got my dad (a Pentaxian from 1975 to circa 1992, who put down the cameras and took down the darkroom with the arrival of my brother and me, and a move) a bunch of film for Christmas, including several rolls of Ektar. I can't wait to see what he does with it!
02-03-2009, 09:50 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I'm looking forward to some samples, as I'm trying to settle on a colour film. Superia 200 is cheap and.... not bad. But I want something rich and sharp. Ran some Fuji 160C and Kodak 400 UC through my little olympus XA, and of the two, the 160C had much better colour rendition. I've been unable to find Reala 100 in stores, just the Pro 160 and Portra stuff.

02-04-2009, 02:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CSoars Quote
I'm looking forward to some samples, as I'm trying to settle on a colour film.
I'll post some as soon as possible!

So has anyone tried both Ektar and Reala?
02-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
I'll post some as soon as possible!

I have not got round to Ektar. This is in part due to having a case of Reala 100 in the freezer... in 12 exposure rolls... just too easy to grab, shoot, develop.

I've tried the Fuji 160 and agree that is a superior film. Ektar is on my calendar. I'll post when I finally get there. Looking very much forward to seeing your stuff.

Seaain
02-04-2009, 11:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I've tried both and am still undecided, although I think the Ektar shows great
promise (it's my photographic skill that's in question):

and one Reala:

Bill

02-04-2009, 06:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Id love to try some Ektar 100 myself ... looks like it's the type of film to take to gardens and the like ... just for that vibrant colour it produces.
02-05-2009, 01:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I kind of feel like, living in northern Sweden, I bought these films at the wrong time of year. There's pretty much no colour outside unless your idea of colour is white, white, more white and, well, grey skies. Will have to try and find a nice sunset or something.
02-14-2009, 05:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I got the roll of Ektar back and I'm disappointed, not with the film which is EXTREMELY sharp with super tight grain... Just with my photography. Most of the pictures were pretty bad. At the same time I developed a roll of Superia 400 which had 15 keepers out of 24... I'll be hard pressed to find five I really like from this 36 of Ektar. Oh well, them's the breaks. I just thought I'd show how good this film is...

(Great Grey Owl!)

This is a 100% crop of a 6mp scan of the above with no processing:

Now to try the roll of Reala and hope I learn how to take decent photos before it's time to develop that!

(Psst... Don't ask about the camera because it wasn't a Pentax I still haven't found a decently priced Super Program. I hope you're not going to excommunicate me for this, I just wanna discuss the film )
02-14-2009, 06:14 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Ricohflex VIIM TLR
Fuji Reala Ace 100

Yashica D TLR
Fuji Reala Ace 100

Agfa Ansco Shur-Shot (box camera)
Fuji Reala Ace 100

Mamiya Six Model V (folding rangefinder)
Fuji Reala Ace 100

The "Ace" portion of the name seems to be nothing more than a regional naming peculiarity, as best I can tell. Fuji doesn't market a plain "Reala" in Japan, so I assume the "Reala Ace" is the same thing. I've never tried the Ektar.
02-14-2009, 06:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
It must be a decade already the last time I shot the Ektar 100. Based on the 2800dpi scans that I have done myself, Ektar 100 reveals much more details than Reala. I would choose Ektar for scenery, and Reala for people (how it was marketed when it first came out).
02-14-2009, 07:30 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
It must be a decade already the last time I shot the Ektar 100. Based on the 2800dpi scans that I have done myself, Ektar 100 reveals much more details than Reala. I would choose Ektar for scenery, and Reala for people (how it was marketed when it first came out).
wlachan, you bring up a very good point. I was surprised EK named their new film Ektar because I remembered the Ektar product from the late-1980s which itself was odd since Ektar is EK's name for their 1930s vintage Tessar lenses. I never tried the first version of Ektar but did shoot many rolls of its replacement, Royal Gold, and liked it quite a bit. It was just about the time I became comfortable with Royal Gold they discontinued it. If the pattern holds, I guess they'll reintroduce Royal Gold in 2014.

I've never been that fond of the Velvia/Photoshopped way overly-saturated look. I'm looking forward to shooting the new Ektar I purchased though. If its colors are similar to Reala I'll give it a go.