Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
Pentaxian
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,530
critique please

Here are a couple of recent ones. I took these yesterday. ME SUPER with Tokina 28 F/2.8 and T-MAX 400

I tried some editing which I normally do not due. Let me know if I over cooked them.
I was going for a more Artsy look.






02-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Venturi's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tulsa, OK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,639
There's heavy JPEG artifacting going on in those copies which makes it hard to judge accurately. It's really apparent in the jagged lines of the white grout of the dark tiles in #1 & #3 and the arms of the guy in #3.

Having said that, I much prefer natural film grain to induced varieties and to me it doesn't seem right for TMAX shots with a mottled look. Does that make sense?

And having said that, I rather like the contrasting moods between 1 & 3. Together they make an effective commentary on life is what you make of it.

Last edited by Venturi; 02-03-2009 at 09:32 PM. Reason: added comments on the actual photos :)
02-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
Inactive Account




Join Date: May 2008
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 322
They do look pretty mottled for T-max, also just a bit odd, like some of the hyper-processed digital shots.

I dig the little details, in shot 3, is that a racoon on a leash? And a hookah/bong?
02-04-2009, 08:13 AM   #4
Forum Member
Sasquatch's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 69
QuoteOriginally posted by CSoars Quote
I dig the little details, in shot 3, is that a racoon on a leash? And a hookah/bong?
To me it looks more like a cat on a leash, and some type of street water-spicket thing. Could be wrong though...

02-04-2009, 08:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,915
looks kinda overcooked and grainy to me :/
02-04-2009, 08:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Umeň, Sweden
Posts: 755
I gotta be honest here... Too much sharpening, too harsh contrast. The poster in #2 looks hideous and there are unsharp mask halos around a lot of things, such as the guy's dark clothing against the bright building in the first picture, which otherwise has a nice feel to it. Looks to me more like digital, heavily Photoshopped pictures than actual black and white film. I doubt that's what you wanted to achieve Could you post original unprocessed scans for comparison?
02-04-2009, 09:44 AM   #7
Senior Member
HouseOfHorla's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Teddington, Middx - UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 185
2nd one's definately overcooked , but if you were trying to get an old newspaper effect I think they kind of work. All depends on your intent really, but I'd trying knocking the effects back a little.
02-04-2009, 09:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member
ftpaddict's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Yurp
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,669
Personally I think all of them have obvious post-processing in them. I think sharpening was the culprit this time, and harsh contrast. Mellow those down and you've got yourself 3 winners.

02-04-2009, 09:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member
Gooshin's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, the one in Canada.
Posts: 5,611
if you look at pic #1

you will see the halo outline around the drummer, i used to post process heavily and get that all the time

over time i started to dislike it

so my personal opinion is if you start to see said halos, back off
02-04-2009, 10:29 AM   #10
Pentaxian
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,530
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
There's heavy JPEG artifacting going on in those copies which makes it hard to judge accurately. It's really apparent in the jagged lines of the white grout of the dark tiles in #1 & #3 and the arms of the guy in #3.
Thanks for pointing that out. I had not noticed.
QuoteQuote:
Having said that, I much prefer natural film grain to induced varieties and to me it doesn't seem right for TMAX shots with a mottled look. Does that make sense?
Thanks again. I did infact introduce more grain to the the image. The mistake was that I discovered the Grain filter in CS3. Fake grain does not seem to blend in with real grain was my thought. Hence the critique request.
QuoteQuote:
And having said that, I rather like the contrasting moods between 1 & 3. Together they make an effective commentary on life is what you make of it.
Thank you for that. I to like those two images. As for the second, it was more of trying to salvage a badly exposed image.
02-04-2009, 10:31 AM   #11
Pentaxian
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,530
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CSoars Quote
They do look pretty mottled for T-max, also just a bit odd, like some of the hyper-processed digital shots.

I dig the little details, in shot 3, is that a racoon on a leash? And a hookah/bong?
Thank for the comments. That is actually a cat. Even up close it does look like a coon. As for the mottled, I unfortunately also discovered the burn tool. Will need to put that one away.
02-04-2009, 10:33 AM   #12
Pentaxian
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,530
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
looks kinda overcooked and grainy to me :/
Thank you for the comments. I thought so too. This was why I put them up for c.c. Since I am new to this type of PP work, it is hard for me to judge in my own excitement of when I have burned the beans...
02-04-2009, 10:35 AM   #13
Pentaxian
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,530
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
I gotta be honest here... Too much sharpening, too harsh contrast. The poster in #2 looks hideous and there are unsharp mask halos around a lot of things, such as the guy's dark clothing against the bright building in the first picture, which otherwise has a nice feel to it. Looks to me more like digital, heavily Photoshopped pictures than actual black and white film. I doubt that's what you wanted to achieve Could you post original unprocessed scans for comparison?
Erik, This is exactly the kind of Critique I was after. I can take the C.C. no problem. I will post up the originals in a minute. Thank you!
02-04-2009, 10:36 AM   #14
Pentaxian
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,530
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HouseOfHorla Quote
2nd one's definately overcooked , but if you were trying to get an old newspaper effect I think they kind of work. All depends on your intent really, but I'd trying knocking the effects back a little.
Actually, I was after an old nostalgic look, but obviously failed. That's ok, I will try again. Thank you
02-04-2009, 10:37 AM   #15
Pentaxian
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,530
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Personally I think all of them have obvious post-processing in them. I think sharpening was the culprit this time, and harsh contrast. Mellow those down and you've got yourself 3 winners.
Thanks a bunch. The one thing I did not do was any sharpening, although adding grain had the same effect. I will post up the originals in a minute.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A little critique FunkyMonk Photographic Technique 3 06-30-2009 04:36 PM
Another critique please sealonsf Photo Critique 7 05-28-2009 11:31 AM
Critique please Bactman Photo Critique 2 05-26-2009 10:59 AM
Would appreciate any critique claskowski Photo Critique 6 12-10-2008 06:02 PM
Please help/critique slowpez Post Your Photos! 5 02-24-2008 11:49 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:42 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top