Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2009, 02:02 PM   #61
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
wow that's way too much. can't you get it scanned at time of processing for cheaper?
Well, I'm processing my own black and white, so they charge full pop. Colour's cheaper, but I prefer doing it myself.

03-13-2009, 05:09 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
One phenomenon that seems to happen is the limitations of the older medium - when it was the only choice - chafed. Now these are a choice. The qualities we've grown up with are familiar and carry a nostalgic fondness. Not to mention, analog signals don't have the hard cut-offs that digital ones do, and thus theoretically one can resolve further into noise.
Good points. Digital learns me a lot, and I’m happy for the ‘free’ lessons.
But this makes me particularly choose film for when I want that effect, and learn more about grain and B&W film.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Plus the pleasure of NOT doing post processing. "Get it correct in-camera" is something I try to do with both film and digital shooting. That way I can focus on photography not graphic design (which is what post processing is).
I have little PP skills, and I prefer to get it right the first time. Don’t wanna spend hours trying to save a shot; which I should have gotten right in the first place

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Many similarities: LP's sounds better than CD and film looks better than digital. CD and Digital images (even from MF backs!) have the same problem; lack of texture. Oh they might be crystal clear and great for outlining shapes, but the surfaces are lacking in structure and texture.
I wonder if some of the differences could be levelled with even weaker AA-filters.

The Pro Sean Reid prefer to spot correct moire (locally) than to give up visual information across the frame in all his pictures. He would prefer that Canon and Nikon decided to offer non-AA-filtered versions of their higher-end DSLRs.

He feels that what holds both the D700 and the 5D back, for now, are their anti-aliasing filters. As he says; in order to reduce the likelihood of moiré appearing in some areas of some digital pictures, both companies essentially use a mild blur filter to reduce fine detail in all areas of all pictures.

He finds that it is primarily the lack of AA filtering that makes files from Leica DMR and M8, appear crispier and (to some eyes) less “digital” than those from the Canon or Nikon DSLRs.

http://www.reidreviews.com
03-13-2009, 06:53 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That, my friend, is a steal.

QuoteOriginally posted by deanm3 Quote
Here is what I got for $100.

Mint Pentax MX
Auto-Winder
2 Focusing Screens - Split Prism. Grid
Leather Case
2x Vivitar Teleconverter
Pentax-M 50/1.7
Pentax-M 35/2.0
Vivitar 70-150mm F3.8 Close-Focus
5 Filters

Originally I was going for the camera for $50, but the package deal was $100. To say the least, I was excited.
03-13-2009, 08:11 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CSoars Quote
I did look at the coolscan, but had no one to split the cost with.
There are much cheaper options. I have a Konica Minolta Dimage ScanDual IV (long name). The results aren't far short of the Nikon: 3200 dpi, 16-bit, 16x overscan. It doesn't have digitalICE, which may be a factor for you (I use the Healing brush in PS). Some colour correction is usually warranted (it has a tendency to lean towards magenta), but that's true of any scanner, I believe. Also, it comes with pretty decent software that gives much nicer results than using Vuescan, in my limited experience.

I have compared the scans with those from my Canon 8600F, and there really is no comparison. Film grain is clear and beautiful, whereas it's just not there in the Canonscans. This scanner comes pretty cheap on eBay. I guess a lot of people scan their slides then sell it on.

Last edited by artobest; 04-12-2009 at 09:01 AM.