Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Going from Digital to Analog

I was thinking about it for some time.

To me it has the same attraction as going from CD to vinyl, it's less practical, less easy, less performing, but it add a charm to the shots and a process of taking pictures that attracts me a lot.

So when I saw the offer from sholtzma, I took the plunge and bought a ME Super (with some flash units and lenses, thanks sholrzma to accept to sell in Europe).

Received it yesterday, and bought film rolls for the first time of my life today (some Illford Detla 100 & 400, some Fuji Superia 200 & 400) And seeing that little beauty, I couldn't resist, I put my favorite lense on it :

I love Pentax ! Can't wait and see what will be the results (probably not that good, film as a learning curve as well)

Regards,
Guillaume

02-07-2009, 03:50 PM   #2

Welcome to fun-filled world of analog photography! You'll love it here, I can tell My journey into analog photography started in the summer of 2007, with my dad's K1000 (I took photo class that year at school). I've enjoyed it thoroughly ever since, and my camera collection has grown to three vintage SLR bodies...

I hate to be a niggler, but that's actually a Super Program and not an ME Super. Don't get me wrong, both are fabulous little cameras and both have a place on my wish list.

I can't wait to see your shots! Film really is something else, and your comparison to records (and high-quality cassette and reel-to-reel tape, for that matter) is exactly right. Vintage audio happens to be one of my other interests.

There's just something about analog that's innately beautiful to me. Analog will never die.
02-07-2009, 04:41 PM   #3
mer

If I had enough money to shoot only film , I would . The quality is much better ( not resolution-wise , but the black and white and colour is much much better ) . Since I shot some Fuji Velvia slide film , I hardly want to shoot with my K100D or any digital hehe . Also I feel my old good lenses ( take 50mm F/1.4 ) are almost being wasted on the K100D , I suspect you feel the same with your 31mm LTD ... Film rules !!! Have fun !
02-07-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

join the club, after using some film on a trip, i've tried to move all of my stuff to film. i just like the look better. there's still things that are easier for dslr machine gunning (tele / flash stuff), but i don't even like that type of photography anyways.

i object to your "less performing" statement. some looks from film are quite difficult to achieve on digital pp, and slow slide film can probably still hold up to digital. and digital black and white doesn't look the same either. of course higher iso stuff is a bit grainy, but the grain looks way better than digital noise. esp if you like the look of film, why spend time on the computer making your digital look like film rather than shoot film?

digital breeds machine gunning, chimping, pixel peeping, the never ending quest for sharpness and noise reduction, extensive post processing; stuff that after a while i really want to get away from.

and the fa limiteds are awesome on full frame

Last edited by k100d; 02-07-2009 at 09:08 PM.
02-07-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

When I first got into photography, I jumped right into digital and bypassed film. Now I am going from Digital to Analog.

I am taking a film photography class and will finally learn how to develop film, black and white of course. Today was the first day that I shot film seriously. When I mean seriously, I mean it. I had the whole day to myself and shot only 5 shots. I was being conservative and was waiting for the right shot, everything had to be perfect before I took the shot. I never put this much concentration when I was using digital.

In a way, I like it like that. It makes me think harder before I shoot.
02-07-2009, 10:12 PM   #6

I learned how to do B&W film in my photo class. We make and develop our own prints too. Good stuff. Will your course do prints, or just the negatives?
02-08-2009, 12:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm also going to shoot my first roll soon. I bought a lot with 6 lenses and two bodies mainly because of the lenses. But holding the Spotmatic in my hands made me want to shoot film.

I used my dads Cosina Hi-Lite 202 a little 15-20 years ago, and if I remember right it was quite much like a Spotmatic.

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
To me it has the same attraction as going from CD to vinyl
And I also like listening to vinyls on my Technics SL1200 mkII much more than cds...

02-08-2009, 03:52 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is not an ME Super, but a Super Program/Super A
Great camera, and a beautiful lens!
02-08-2009, 05:31 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was thinking about it for some time.

To me it has the same attraction as going from CD to vinyl, it's less practical, less easy, less performing, but it add a charm to the shots and a process of taking pictures that attracts me a lot.Guillaume

Many similarities: LP's sounds better than CD and film looks better than digital. CD and Digital images (even from MF backs!) have the same problem; lack of texture. Oh they might be crystal clear and great for outlining shapes, but the surfaces are lacking in structure and texture. Needless to say, after I have upgraded to a Nottingham Spacedeck with Lyra Argo "i" pick-up, I've sold CD's for $3000, and my LP collection is growing.
Equally needless to say, my 645NII system is still my main photographic tool....
02-08-2009, 07:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, ultimately, I want to buy a Pentax 6x7 system next year.

Given the price of film, I thought of getting into 35mm before. And this super program looks damn good.

I loaded my first film : Illford Delta 400. I'm looking forward the results.

Regards,
Guillaume
02-08-2009, 08:04 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, ultimately, I want to buy a Pentax 6x7 system next year.

Given the price of film, I thought of getting into 35mm before. And this super program looks damn good.

I loaded my first film : Illford Delta 400. I'm looking forward the results.

Regards,
Guillaume
You are like me pretty much. Started with digital but going more and more towards film. I have a Pentax 6x7 system already and in a few weeks I'll be shooting some Fuji Velvia with it. Too bad I haven't got a film scanner to really share the results.
02-08-2009, 02:10 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've also found myself wandering into the world of film, with a cheap little ME that I picked up a while back.

I was f'ing SHOCKED that my first roll of film cost $7.00+ just for the film itself (without developing), but I've had so much fun shooting this old camera, that I think I want to keep it up...

What's a good roll of film that I can use without breaking the bank though? I guess it's not a big deal, but over time, that cost adds up... what should I shoot?

Most of my K10D shots are at ISO 100 or 200, so I'd like to stay around there, and I want color definitely... any recommendations?
02-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #13

$7 for ONE ROLL!? Jeez! At places like Walgreens and Rite Aid and Target you can get a five pack for like $10!

I've heard really good things about Fuji 100 and 200, and especially Reala 100 (I've only ever seen that at a Ritz Camera). I haven't shot enough Kodak Gold to tell you for certain.

Also, when I finally get the darkroom up and running, I def. want to move up to medium format
02-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Welcome!

It's great to see people moving back to film, it's where I started and after 2 DSLR's (k100 & k10), I'm back to using an LX, MX, and a couple of compact rangefinders. I, and some other people thought I was nuts to do so.

But all the stuff about chimping, flat images, pixel peeping and complaining about chromatic aberrations is true. And the year-long life before the 'next best thing'. And I love the tactile feel of shooting a mechanical camera, and winding the lever.

Film can be pricey, I shoot quite a bit of Ilford B&W and develop & scan it myself. For colour, the Fuji Reala 100 and Superia 200 are pretty good, the latter found easily and cheaply in most pharmacies and camera shops (you can get a 3 pack of 24 exp for $10 CAD). I've taken a shine to the Fuji Pro 160C, it gives me a little bit of extra speed, scans well, and has accurate colour and fine grain. Pricey at about $9 a roll, though, but I don't shoot colour too often. I find 100 speed films hard to use because of the slow speed, my propensity to handhold most everything, and my northern latitude.

I'd like to try shooting some slide film, but like B&W, there's no where left in my province that processes it, so it has to be mailed out. I find it easy enough to develop my own B&W, but E6.... it'd have to be some special shots to warrant the effort, cost, and wait.

Plus I like the greater dynamic range that negative print film has over slides and digital; for me that's a huge benefit to shooting analog, as I more often than not find myself in high contrast situations.

I concede digital has 2 glaring advantages: Auto ISO, and high ISO colour (ever see 800 & 1600 colour film? )

So have fun, and post results!

Last edited by CSoars; 02-08-2009 at 03:26 PM.
02-08-2009, 04:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
I was f'ing SHOCKED that my first roll of film cost $7.00+ just for the film itself (without developing), but I've had so much fun shooting this old camera, that I think I want to keep it up...

What's a good roll of film that I can use without breaking the bank though? I guess it's not a big deal, but over time, that cost adds up... what should I shoot?

Most of my K10D shots are at ISO 100 or 200, so I'd like to stay around there, and I want color definitely... any recommendations?
you live in America, the land of the cheapest film around. you're not looking hard enough if your film is $7 a roll. B&H, Adorama, Freestyle has a huge selection of film.

at ISO 100, you might want to try either Fuji Reala 100 or Ektar 100. or Superia 100 or 200 is a really nice general purpose film that's cheap. i really like Fuji PRO 400H if you're into higher speed natural films, B&H has that for $4 a roll.