Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2009, 05:00 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I'm going to try out the Superia 200, and I think maybe this Fuji PRO 400H that's at B&H.

I guess I'll just start ordering stuff online, because the local camera store seems to be a bit of a rip-off...

02-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Woo! Keep the movement rolling along guys! It's nice to see people trying out film, too. Maybe we could at least keep enough people using film to make it a solid niche.
02-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I'm going to try out the Superia 200, and I think maybe this Fuji PRO 400H that's at B&H.

I guess I'll just start ordering stuff online, because the local camera store seems to be a bit of a rip-off...
I have dealt with Freestyle Photographic Supplies. They have a good variety of film and are personable and helpful, too. Also, they are in your neighborhood - sort of.
02-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #19
Forum Member

Around here Walmart has Fuji Superia 200 print film for like $7/5 rolls. It's fine film. Freestyle sells its Arista Premium 400 film for $2/roll of 36, and all sources online claim it is rebranded Kodak Tri-X.

02-08-2009, 09:42 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
I've also found myself wandering into the world of film, with a cheap little ME that I picked up a while back.

I was f'ing SHOCKED that my first roll of film cost $7.00+ just for the film itself (without developing), but I've had so much fun shooting this old camera, that I think I want to keep it up...

What's a good roll of film that I can use without breaking the bank though? I guess it's not a big deal, but over time, that cost adds up... what should I shoot?

Most of my K10D shots are at ISO 100 or 200, so I'd like to stay around there, and I want color definitely... any recommendations?
$7!!!

I shoot Ektar 100 (excellent stuff) at about $4.39 per 36 exposure roll (Adorama) and get the same processed and scanned for $4.95 at Costco.

Steve

(See the results from my first roll here...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-08-2009 at 09:59 PM.
02-08-2009, 09:57 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love my dSLR, but the siren call of film keeps beckoning. I have started using my 25 year-old Ricoh XR7 again, bought a Ricoh XR-2s as a back-up and am looking for a Pentax KX in excellent condition to eventually replace both the Ricohs. (Don't get me wrong...I love the Ricoh's, but when they die, they are not repairable. I also feel a little guilty posting here with a non-Pentax body and non-Pentax lenses.)

What I shoot on film simply looks better. The comment above regarding texture is 100% spot on. In addition, my FF (made for 35mm) lenses perform much better on the larger format. No SR?...big deal...the need is much less when the medium is larger!

Steve
02-09-2009, 03:47 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I'm a newbie to film as well ... will be finishing off my first rool this week .... when i get a chance after nightshift ... I haven't had the chance to get outside the last few days as it has been 45 deg C ++++ outside.

02-09-2009, 05:02 AM   #23
Veteran Member

On Sunday I played tour guide for a friend of mine who is an exchange student here. Took him around all through the mountains around town, saw four waterfalls, an old mountain temple, a couple of shrines, and such as that.

I used my ESII for most of my shots that day, not taking many because I had already shot most of the places and was mostly just enjoying the company. At some point he mentioned something (I forget what) about what I was doing to get around some limitation and I mentioned that I had my K20D in the car and could have easily gotten the shot if I had brought it instead of the ESII. He expressed wonderment that I had chosen the "hard" way of getting the shot on film when it would have been so much easier on digital.

I actually enjoy going through the extra effort of setting up the tripod and monkeying about with other stuff when I could more easily get the shot by cranking up the ISO on the K20D instead. Sometimes it is good to slow down.
02-09-2009, 06:55 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I'm staying with digital for most of my stuff but today I went out with only ISO 100 film and a 50/1.8. Always great fun.

It's so true that the way using manual equipment and having a limited amount of film makes you slow down is a very positive thing. Having to think about what I'm doing feels healthy. Old analog cameras also make people smile. An older guy who was walking past as I was taking a photo today was all like "hey, is that a proper old-fashioned film camera?" - "Yeah" - "Nice!" Another thing -- I don't really take pictures OF people but I think strangers are more likely to pose relaxedly for you if you walk around with a Spotmatic than if you threw a 1D with half a meter of intimidating L lens in their faces.

There's just something.
02-09-2009, 07:46 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
I'm staying with digital for most of my stuff but today I went out with only ISO 100 film and a 50/1.8. Always great fun.
Did that last weekend with my first roll of film, Kodak Ektar 100 in my ME with the M50 1.7. I had more fun wandering around town with that combination than I usually do with my K200D... I may be hooked.
02-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #26

Add me to the list as well. I picked up a MX in near mint condition, some Ektar 100, Fuji Pro 400 and 800. I've never shot film before, only my *ist DS and K20D. I've had too much fun shooting with my MX, and I'm anxiously awaiting my results from MPIX.

Best $50 I ever spent.
02-09-2009, 10:02 AM   #27

I recently shot the Chinese New Years Parade in China Town, NYC with my MX. You should have seen some of the looks I got carring a camera about 5 years older than I am.

I felt that I thoroughly enjoyed the parade, taking my time with shots I thought were interesting and I found myself more selective than typical. I watched as others with their $3000+ setups, giant lenses and camera bags in sling, literally attaching everything in site almost wrecklessly. I usually try to be selective when I am shooting with my K20D, but digital in essense is an enabler. It enables you to forgoe some discrection and loose sight of what really appeals to you. Film has been an utter refreshment for me, and it just seems to appeal to me on a much more primitive and aestetic level than digital.

Photography is entirely a hobby, and a passion for me. I do not, or plan to, make any money as a photographer. I try not to let it interfere with my enjoyment of a situation, or adventure. Hence I try not to burden myself with giant camera bodies or bags of lenses. I've found my perfect mate in my $100 collection of an MX, 50/1.4 and 35/2.0.
02-09-2009, 12:05 PM   #28
Veteran Member

your mx, 50/1.4 and 35/2 were a steal if you got that for $100
02-09-2009, 12:59 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
your mx, 50/1.4 and 35/2 were a steal if you got that for $100
Here is what I got for $100.

Mint Pentax MX
Auto-Winder
2 Focusing Screens - Split Prism. Grid
Leather Case
2x Vivitar Teleconverter
Pentax-M 50/1.7
Pentax-M 35/2.0
Vivitar 70-150mm F3.8 Close-Focus
5 Filters

Originally I was going for the camera for $50, but the package deal was $100. To say the least, I was excited.
02-09-2009, 01:25 PM   #30
Veteran Member

One thing that I hate about film is waiting for it to be developed!

I just did my first assignment for class today and shot a rolls of film. I got a few really good shots and I can't wait to see them. The lab for the class is on next Monday and here in the US, next Monday is President's day so school will be closed. So I will have to wait for another week before I can see my photos when I develop it.

I wish I had my own darkroom!