Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #1
Forum Member

Is the ME super focusing screen removeable?

I just bought a used one and the focusing screen is pretty ugly. I might want to just replace it. Is this easy to do or do I have to take the camera all apart?

02-08-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The camera has to be taken apart.
02-08-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
By ugly, do you mean that it has all sorts of black gunky-looking stuff on the screen? If so, the stuff is probably the remains of the mirror bumper material. With age the stuff deteriorates into something similar to tar. If the camera has been stored for any period of time, the gunk gets flung onto the screen the first time the shutter is depressed.

The good news is that a good technician can often do a reasonable job of cleaning the stuff off and will usually include the task as part of the fee for replacing the light seals (also probably toast).

Steve
02-08-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have both ME Super and Super Program. I've changed focusing screen on the Super Program w/o any problem, actually it's pretty easy, just unscrew the two screws above the mirror bumper (foam), and you'd be able to access the screen. It can of course be cleaned too just like other focusing screens.

But I don't see any similar screws on the ME Super. Probably you have to take off the top part to reach the screen. And probably you'll need another similar camera (ME, ME Super) w/ a good focus screen to replace with.

02-08-2009, 07:25 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
There is a bit of gunk on the mirror way down at the bottom, but besides that, it's covered with what I think are scratches. It's pretty ugly to look through, but the scratches don't seem to block light so it's usable. Unless I'm crazy, the ME Super seems to have a brighter and clearer viewfinder than my Program Plus.

I already refoamed the camera and replaced the mirror bumper foam and cleaned the focusing screen as well as I dare with a q-tip and lighter fluid. I think it's in usable condition now but we'll have to run a roll through it to be sure.
02-08-2009, 08:13 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by BetterSense Quote
I already refoamed the camera and replaced the mirror bumper foam and cleaned the focusing screen as well as I dare with a q-tip and lighter fluid. I think it's in usable condition now but we'll have to run a roll through it to be sure.
According to some using a solvent like lighter fluid to clean the focusing screen could irreparably harm it. Here is a snippet from Jon Goodman's instruction manual for replacing the light seals and mirror foam on a Pentax ME.

I don't know what to say. You may have ruined your focusing screen.

The entire article can be found here.
02-08-2009, 08:26 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, I had heard that you should never touch a focusing screen or use solvents, but I reasoned that the focusing screen was ALREADY irreparably damaged. It doesn't seem to have exploded, but of course the scratches also didn't go away.

02-09-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

uhhhhhh.... soapy water works just fine.
02-09-2009, 05:33 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well I really dig this camera, mostly because of the size and weight (even smaller and lighter than my Program Plus) and because I like the viewfinder, both for its optical qualities and because I like the LEDs. I've found instructions online for disassembling the ME Super, but they don't deal specifically with removing the focusing screen. Plus, I would need a focusing screen to replace it with, and I don't know where to get one other than another ME Super, and it would probably be better to just use that camera. Is the Pentax LX a similar size and weight, with a similar viewfinder, to the ME Super?
02-09-2009, 06:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BetterSense Quote
Well I really dig this camera, mostly because of the size and weight (even smaller and lighter than my Program Plus) and because I like the viewfinder, both for its optical qualities and because I like the LEDs. I've found instructions online for disassembling the ME Super, but they don't deal specifically with removing the focusing screen. Plus, I would need a focusing screen to replace it with, and I don't know where to get one other than another ME Super, and it would probably be better to just use that camera. Is the Pentax LX a similar size and weight, with a similar viewfinder, to the ME Super?
I think the wise decision is to use it as is. Don't worth it got buy another camera just for its focusing screen (assume you know how to change it).

LX is slightly bigger and heavier than the ME Super. If you like small size and light weight, I think you'd better stick w/ M/A series (MX, ME, SuperA and etc.). The viewfinder on LX is gorgeous, brighter and bigger than the one in ME, it's the best from Pentax.
02-09-2009, 08:52 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Cool. I think you are right, I'll just use it...I just put a roll of Tri-x in it so it can be my B&W camera. It's not pretty to look through but I just got the test roll back from Target and it seems to be working fine otherwise.