Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2009, 11:36 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Part of the MZ-S value is likely its rarity. It came out on the cusp of the digital revolution and only stayed on the market for a couple years (I think), so there aren't a bizzillion of 'em out there. In fact, you don't see many on the used market at all. As arguably Pentax's most professional film camera since the LX, it has value as a collector's item for any Pentax lover, plus it's fairly rare or at least scarce. Thus, the price has held.

For my hands, it is by far the most ergonomic camera Pentax has ever produced. Not all grip surfaces are rounded, some even seem somewhat angular or edgy, but those edges make it easier to hang on to--the angles fit the crease of your knuckles--I never use a strap, so security in hand is quite noticeable to me. Yes, I'm a fanboy and have continued to find reasons not to sell mine. Best grip ever btw, small and excellently contoured, easy to install or remove with one lever, AA batteries for convenience out in the field, way better vertical release placement than current digi grips...enough already...
Ron, you know that if you ever sell your MZ-S you are so going to regret it, and you'll end up buying it back. Just load it with slide film and enjoy, that's what photography is all about. I have simply never handled any camera body that's better than this, and I also own the PZ-1P, LX, MZ-6/7. The MZ-S can fetch a higher price than used Nikon F5's, which is a real world testimony to this camera.

Plus I'm taking my kids to Spice Kitchen this weekend for lunch. Which has nothing to do with cameras.

02-10-2009, 09:48 PM   #17
Site Supporter

How fun...not the camera...Spice Kitchen. Hope your children like strongly seasoned food (there are a few mild dishes). The onion cakes are quite nice as a side dish...

Yes, my MZ-S really should stay "in-house", but I'm in a thinning mode as you know. I still have 2 PZ1p's, 2 67II's, the MZ-S and a Hasselblad XPanII for film bodies. Plus a few digital bodies as well...In the current economic state of my house--I'm a wholesale boat rep, ouch!--it's necessary that I pair down to a more "sane" kit. I don't get to control which order they sell in, and once a couple sell, the others are likely to stay...btw, one of the 67II's and the Hassy are not for sale. Neither are the digital bodies.
02-14-2009, 01:53 PM   #18

I have an MZ-S and I don't like it. It's two most serious liabilities, aside from the extravagent price, is construction --- compared to other serious amateur cameras like the K10/20 and F100, it's cheap & flimsy --- and ergonomics. Although it's very nice to hold and shoot in automatic, and is just the cutest little thing to look at, in manual mode the camera immediately runs out of space and is impossible to operate deftly.

Try the MZ-S to before you buy it. And consider that for less money you can get an LX instead, which really is the bomb.
02-15-2009, 08:28 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Consider the ZX5/ZX5n/MZ5/MZ5n

The ZX5/ZX5n/MZ5/MZ5n cameras have three things going in their favor:
1. KAF2. Along with the MZ-S, these were the last of the KAF2 mount film cameras Pentax made.
2. Size. MZ-S is quite a bit bigger than the ZX5/etc. series. More times than not I have found the small size to be an advantage.
3. Cost. You can get 4 or 5 of these ZX5/etc. series bodies for the price of 1 MZ-S. It's not too crazy to think of taking the difference in price between an MZ-S and a ZX-5n, say, and using that money to upgrade either the film or the lens.

02-15-2009, 08:35 AM   #20
Veteran Member

in terms of the MZ-S construction, i don't have any complaints. i think the primary criticism on the build quality was the use of the plastic film door. the rest of the body feels pretty solid to me, you can feel the magnesium body underneath. in terms of ergonomics, that's a personal thing, i think a lot more people like it than dislike it. not sure what's so hard about the manual mode, you set the aperture and turn the dial like an old school camera w/ "digital" match needle metering.

in terms of the size, the MZ-S is not much bigger. it's only a tad taller, and negligibly longer and depper. it looks bigger because of the "broad shoulders" around the prism hump
02-15-2009, 09:23 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Of course no Pentax AF camera is as solid, sturdy and as easy to use as your K1000.
ZX-5(n)/MZ-5(n) bodies are the most similar in layout to a Pentax manual focus SLR.

Chris