Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax P3 - sell or donate

Recently while cleaning out things around the house I came upon my old P3 and several lenses. Not knowing much about this camera or lenses (way under used and have moved on to digital), I would not know the first thing about selling the camera.
Would it be best to break up the set or leave it as a set?
Or is there some place to donate it - like a school or something?
Located in San Diego if that helps.

Thanks for your help

02-12-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Though perfectly good cameras, the P series bodies aren't worth much in resale. I'm trying to sell one myself.
Any Pentax -A lenses you have may be worth more; they are compatible with current Pentax digital cameras.

Chris
02-12-2009, 06:29 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply
02-12-2009, 09:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you list the lenses you've got somebody here can probably give you a rough idea of how much they would bring in. Depending on what you have they may be worth more separately.

I'm sure it depends on the individual school but I know that my high school was transitioning to digital for its communications courses around the time I graduated in 2002. Never hurts to ask though, somebody at a local school may be interested.

02-13-2009, 03:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes for the lenses - depending on what these are, there may be eager buyers.

Around here I see cameras being sold at donated home goods stores, and of course Goodwill. Of course donating to a charity that will sell the stuff isn't the same as donating it where someone will use it.
02-13-2009, 05:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

We sometimes have teenagers on the forum who express an interest in trying a film camera but who may lack the funds to get one. How about holding onto the camera until the next one wanders by and make a present of it to some kid who'll get some use (and some learning) out of it?
02-13-2009, 06:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

i second Mike's suggestion, unless you're totally strapped for funds, maybe would be nice to give it away to a budding photographer
02-13-2009, 07:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
We sometimes have teenagers on the forum who express an interest in trying a film camera but who may lack the funds to get one. How about holding onto the camera until the next one wanders by and make a present of it to some kid who'll get some use (and some learning) out of it?
Great suggestion Mike. +1 to your idea. It would be nice if we can get one more new soul to try out film.

02-13-2009, 08:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

P3 are perfectly good bodies but they are very common and since film gear has depreciated so much, I'd guess they're probably not worth more than $20. The lenses can be worth considerably more though, so it really depends what you've got. I suggest looking at KEH.com and completed e-bay auctions as sort of a 'blue book' for lenses. KEH prices will tend to be on the high side but they are more stable compared to e-bay auction closes which can be all over the map. But if you think somebody might want to try it, that's probably a better use--perhaps save the body and at least one lens.
02-13-2009, 08:59 AM   #10
Site Supporter

I had a P30t that I liked very much, but ended up giving free to someone who was interested in getting into film. In my opinion the P3* series is among the best Pentax designs. I'm not sure why they have so little resale value.

Probably they just live in a little no man's land between the newer lighter weight (but less durable) bodies, and the older, more nostalgia-inspiring ones. Too new and too old at the same time.
02-13-2009, 05:31 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks all for the replies.

Some great ideas. I am more than willing to donate to a student.

The camera has a P3 body with a Pentax 50 mm lense.
Takamar zoom 70-120 mm
Sigma super wide 24 mm
Tiffen 52 mm haze filter
Pentax AF160sa flash
carrying bag
neck strap (attached to camera)
manuals
02-13-2009, 10:43 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkDuerst Quote
Thanks all for the replies.

Some great ideas. I am more than willing to donate to a student.

The camera has a P3 body with a Pentax 50 mm lense.
Takamar zoom 70-120 mm
Sigma super wide 24 mm
Tiffen 52 mm haze filter
Pentax AF160sa flash
carrying bag
neck strap (attached to camera)
manuals
The Sigma is worth something, say $80 or more, and a very useful lens. Here's a review page:

PentaxForums.com Third-Party Pentax Lens Review Database - 24mm f2.8 Super Wide II

The 50mm lens value depends on what's written around the front of the lens. It's likely to say "SMC PENTAX-A 1:2 50mm" like this one:

Pentax Lens Review Database - 50mm F2

but it could say PENTAX-M or 1:1.4 or something really exciting. Its value could range from $30 to $500.

More details are also needed on the Takumar zoom but it's not likely to be worth more than $50.
02-14-2009, 12:20 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Depending on which 50mm lens it is, you might want to consider keeping it to donate with the camera. A good solid film body with manual capabilities and a decent 50mm lens is just the right combo for someone to learn on. Throw the strap and relevant manual in with it and sell the rest.
02-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks again for the help.

I think what I will do is sell the Sigma and Takamar lenses and keep the rest together to give to someone.
02-18-2009, 06:08 AM   #15

can I have it! Ahahaha..