Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2009, 06:11 PM   #1

flash for k2?

Hi everyone. I have a Pentax K2 and was wondering what flashes are compatible and recommended for this camera. In the manual it says it accepts x and fp flashes. What is the difference in these types?

Any recommendations for a reasonably priced flash for a K2 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ted

02-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flash for K2

QuoteOriginally posted by thesaxman547 Quote
Hi everyone. I have a Pentax K2 and was wondering what flashes are compatible and recommended for this camera. In the manual it says it accepts x and fp flashes. What is the difference in these types?

Any recommendations for a reasonably priced flash for a K2 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ted
You can download a free K2 manual that explains the flash options at Pentax Manuals .com here Pentax Manuals The password is always Pentax.

The X terminal is for electronic flashes - still a fairly new replacement for flashbulbs at the time the K bodies were introduced. The hot shoe on top of the prism also has an X contact, synchronized at 1/125.

The FP terminal is for flashbulb devices that were often mounted on a frame - whether on the frame or on the shoe, the flashbulb device was connected to the camera with a short cord.

I use a Vivitar 285 HV flash with mine. They can be had in the Marketplace here from time to time for a few dollars and sometimes you can find a new one (made in China) for less than $75. They're built like tanks, last forever (except for the plastic foot - there are metal replacements for those) and do a very nice job with K2's and KX's.

You may want to read up on flashes in general and the HV in particular at the Strobist, here Strobist: The Return of a Classic

Last edited by monochrome; 02-15-2009 at 08:10 AM.
02-15-2009, 06:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Lots of high quality, low cost shoe mount flashes out there on the used market, in part because those with a higher sync voltage aren't necessarily compatible with digital cameras.

I currently use a Vivitar 285 HV that I bought used. Other flashes like the Vivitar 283 and Sunpak 383 are also good choices for powerful manual flashes with a range of auto and manual power settings. In the US all 3 should be available used for well under $100.

If you want something smaller and cheaper (as in potentially under $20 used) I had a Vivitar 2800 for years on my K1000. Not as powerful as the other flashes listed above but it's small enough to fit in a pocket comfortably, has 2 auto modes plus manual full power and also has a bounce head.
02-15-2009, 08:06 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you both. I had a couple Amazon.com gift cards so I just bought a new 285HV.
-Ted

02-15-2009, 07:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Make sure you read the manual and play with the built in mechanical flash calculator a bit to learn how it works when the flash comes in. Once you understand how it works the mechanical calculator is very handy for calculating exposure values and it is quite accurate.
02-18-2009, 04:05 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
Lots of high quality, low cost shoe mount flashes out there on the used market, in part because those with a higher sync voltage aren't necessarily compatible with digital cameras.

I currently use a Vivitar 285 HV that I bought used. Other flashes like the Vivitar 283 and Sunpak 383 are also good choices for powerful manual flashes with a range of auto and manual power settings. In the US all 3 should be available used for well under $100.

If you want something smaller and cheaper (as in potentially under $20 used) I had a Vivitar 2800 for years on my K1000. Not as powerful as the other flashes listed above but it's small enough to fit in a pocket comfortably, has 2 auto modes plus manual full power and also has a bounce head.
I still have my Vivitar 285 HV...too much VOLTAGE for my K10D, but better than my new Pentax 360 flash, IMO.

Last edited by lesmore49; 02-18-2009 at 04:15 PM.