Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

film storage question

I have a question should you buy more than a roll or two of film at a time how do you store them? I have heard of storing in a freezer but what do you store it in ? just curious

02-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

For several years I made one or two film purchases each year and stored them in the refrigerator. Mail-order suppliers had the film I wanted at about half the price of the same film in local stores so I saved a good amount of money. As it is, I need to order more film now.

I've used zip lock gallon-sized bags to store my film in the crisper drawer. I try to follow the advice of letting the film warm up to ambient temperature before loading but I'm often in a hurry.
02-16-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No big deal, it's probably better kept in your freezer than wherever you bought it from. Just keep a roll of reserve in the fridge and backstock in the freezer: on any given day, by the time you get through whatever's in your camera, bag, and the fridge, your freezer stock'll be warm enough.

Film in the freezer doesn't actually freeze, it's just colder. Your worries are basically just about any condensation or static that may occur if the films warm up too quickly in outside air. The cans it comes in are fine to protect against this till they warm up.

Of course, some of you gents might have to account for 'the lady of the house.' I, however, *am* the lady of the house and keep my film where I darn well please.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 02-16-2009 at 07:19 PM.
02-16-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

i freeze the stash i won't use, and the ones i might use i stick in the fridge.
if you go to kodak / fuji's websites, they have a spec file for each film with storage recommendations.

02-16-2009, 08:04 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Stick it in the freezer and try to remember to keep a few in the fridge door.
02-17-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is the freezer only if you are not going to use the film for a long time? I bought a few rolls of film for my class, I expect to shoot all of them by the end of the semester(about 4 months). Should I still keep the films in the freezer?
02-17-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I keep one of the vegetable bins in our refrigerator filled with film, but I never freeze it.

Chris
02-17-2009, 06:38 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I don't freeze but do keep all film - exposed and unexposed - in a sealed plastic tub in the fridge.

02-18-2009, 11:00 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SuperAkuma Quote
Is the freezer only if you are not going to use the film for a long time? I bought a few rolls of film for my class, I expect to shoot all of them by the end of the semester(about 4 months). Should I still keep the films in the freezer?
Won't matter, for that duration. Freezers are really mostly for if you're given to lay in a whole lot of film at a time.
02-19-2009, 05:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have about 20 rolls on a shelf in the refrigerator and a bunch more on the door in what normal people would consider the butter shelf.
02-19-2009, 06:29 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I have about 20 rolls on a shelf in the refrigerator and a bunch more on the door in what normal people would consider the butter shelf.
Butter's bad for your health anyway.