Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2006, 07:09 PM   #1

How many here have been using the MX?

I've been a photographer by trade for 35 years, and for most of that time I used a couple of MX's with winders for my 35mm work. Never needed anything fancier, and they have been through a lot of hard times, and they still work.

My theory is that if it ain't there, it won't break! So far it's proved true.

Now that everything has gone digital I've got the *st D .

Pentax finaly came out with a pro digital. My K10D is on order.

11-09-2006, 05:42 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I used the ME for some 20 years. The ME is also pretty basic although electronically controlled. Never broke, still works. I just had the foam replaced because I want to preserve it in working order.
11-21-2006, 09:48 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
MX

I have an old broken MX, a working ME and have had a number of various pentax mount cameras. Now use a istD and still use my ME.
11-25-2006, 03:16 PM   #4
Forum Member

I'll be using an MX in February next year when I go to India and take photos of leprosy sufferers. I'm also taking my LX, and my guess is that they'll both be more than up for the job!

The MX is a mini-tank of a camera - I really like its silky smooth actions.

Duncan.

11-26-2006, 08:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dana G Quote
I've been a photographer by trade for 35 years, and for most of that time I used a couple of MX's with winders for my 35mm work. Never needed anything fancier, and they have been through a lot of hard times, and they still work.

My theory is that if it ain't there, it won't break! So far it's proved true.

Now that everything has gone digital I've got the *st D .

Pentax finaly came out with a pro digital. My K10D is on order.
Hi Dana, I use an MX frequently, it's my favorite Pentax SLR and my favorite SLR ever, be it digital or not, it's just perfect (so long as you're not shooting sports all the time where good AF helps a lot). I use Ilford B&W film in it and take it with me when I go out to take some shots for myself.

Am thinking about getting a second MX, especially since they seem to be vanishing off the face of the planet.

Cheers!
-Asad
11-28-2006, 12:54 AM   #6

I've used, and still use, an MX since - uh - I can remember. Whenever I pick it up it is like getting together with an old love again.
11-28-2006, 11:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Still use and LOVE my MX. I had a winder till it died last year. Been looking for a motordrive for a long time now. Still intrested even though my DSLR's for the first time outnmber my 35mm cameras
12-28-2006, 04:10 PM   #8

I still use a pair of MX's. A chrome one and a black one. Kim Coxon Gallery 1

Kim

01-08-2007, 08:46 AM   #9
Inactive Account

MX

I have owned my MX since 1980 and it still preforms like a champ. Don't have to worry about batteries either.
01-09-2007, 11:14 PM   #10

Mine starts acting up. Once in awhile, the mirror won't flip up. Sigh...

If I have to retire it, I'll miss it a lot.

-Pasvorn
01-23-2007, 12:59 PM   #11
Forum Member

I started my photography hobby with a Canon DSLR. I didn't like it as I found everything about digital photography overcomplicated. It was stolen on a trip. I turned to all-manual, all-mechanical rangefinder cameras as these were the first cameras I've ever used as a child. This change really made me love photography even more. I bought a Voigtlander Bessa-T and later I moved up to a Leica MP keeping the Bessa-T as a back-up. A few months ago a friend of mine decided to go all-digital and offered me his Pentax MX kit. I was hesitant as I became a bit entrenched in rangefinder photography but I decided to take him up on his offer since the Pentax MX was as compact as a rangefinder and it was an all-manual and all-mechanical camera. The camera was a bit rough but it was CLA'd and its worked as good as new. I'm now glad that I took him up on his offer. The MX is the perfect companion for my rangefinders. I use the Pentax mainly for macro/close-focusing and telephoto since rangefinders aren't capable of doing that but its a great all-around camera. I only wish that it was quieter. I don't think I would ever be as happy with another SLR except for the LX perhaps.

Last edited by Nando; 03-13-2007 at 03:40 PM.
01-23-2007, 08:55 PM   #12

Two brace of MX's and an odd assortment of Pental SMC lenses. Practically all on their last legs but I'd hate to try to calculate the number of miles of film that have passed through them.
03-13-2007, 02:19 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I bought a MX a year or two ago for $20. It's black, looks great, and I love using it. I had the *ist D at the time and I have a K10 now so I don't use the MX all the time but I DO use it and I LIKE using it.
CW
03-23-2007, 10:21 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Toughest camera I ever owned

I still have my almost 30 year old MX and wouldn't trade her for anything. She's been with me in blizzards on Pike's Peak, in caves all over the southeast US, in a couple of hurricanes, been strapped on the handlebars of my motorcycle and was even dragged a quarter of a mile in the Smokies by a kleptomaniac raccoon (I was chasing him the whole time). I never missed a shot that I could blame on this camera.

I do hate to admit it but circumstances over the past 5-6 years have left me too busy to do any photography (beyond simple P&S stuff). When I got a K110D for Christmas I started pulling out lenses and such and when I picked up the MX I had to play with her a little. Well, I ran some basic checks and I darn near cried when I noticed the shutter curtain was hanging up intermittently. Shame on me for neglecting my trusty friend. Rest assured a trip to the repair shop is in her future.

I do love my new K110 but in a situation where I have to be 200% sure that the camera is up to the conditions (tropical heat, freezing temps, dusty, muddy, rainy, whatever) I'll pull out the MX!

Just wish Pentax (or someone) would develop a digital back for her!