Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2009, 01:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Got a nice package locally

On Craigslist, there was a Pentax package posted for a very sweet price even though I told myself to not buy any more film bodies since I have 3 partial rolls going and loaded some fresh HP5+ the other day in the MX. But I've always wanted to try the ME Super to contrast the full-manual MX.

Well...no pics as of yet since the lot needs some cleaning and the camera needs new seals and mirror bumper. Hopefully later today

The kit contains (from the original owner, mind you! )

ME Super (7.5/10 condition)
SMC M 28mm f/2.8
SMC M 50mm f/1.7
SMC M 85~200 f/4.5
Soligor 2x TC
Auto winder ME II

All the lenses are like-new. Original caps, sleeping bags for the 28mm and zooms and never-ready for the ME-S...

In the ME-S manual, I found an invoice from a local repair shop (BDC) from 3-20-92 for a sync socket replacement and CLA. $6 for batteries, $5 for socket, $90 for labor, $10 for rush service, $6.11 for tax. $117.11 in 1992 dollars...but it was CLA'd...17 years ago! How many DSLRs will we bother servicing almost 20 years into its lifetime...and have working for another 20?

On a side note...the (very nice) photographer who owned this package said he would be selling his Pentax 645 when an affordable FF Nikon DSLR hits the market and will give me a deal on it...so watch out for another thread like this in the future!

02-19-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

645... drool...

congrats on the score, that's a nice pile of stuff. The 28 in particular I'd love to add to my stable of 28's.
02-19-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's so tiny...mabye 1-2mm longer than the M 50/1.7...it looks dorky on the K10

The whole package was about the cost of the body + winder on the private market, not KEH prices

Jury's still out on the zoom. I'll have to give it a shot and see what happens.
02-19-2009, 02:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

i picked up a me super too, lookin forward to using it

02-20-2009, 12:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With Winder? drooolllll!!!
The 28/2.8 is wonderful, I'm looking for one close by.
Check the lightseals, they were (most probably) not replaced in 92 and they will probably nedd to be
The only type of maintenance these cameras need
02-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
i picked up a me super too, lookin forward to using it
I see you are also looking for an MX...good choices, both!

I have a pic you might enjoy...coming soon
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
With Winder? drooolllll!!!
The 28/2.8 is wonderful, I'm looking for one close by.
Check the lightseals, they were (most probably) not replaced in 92 and they will probably nedd to be
The only type of maintenance these cameras need
Yes, winder indeed The battery tray is kind of sketchy but seems to hold ok unless I rip it out.

The light seals look...eh...probably usable but I'll change them anyway. Unfortunately the mirror has a couple sticky spots from the bumper What is the best way to clean it? Window cleaner? I might just leave it alone. The spots are way in the top of view through the finder. I'm used to it since the scratch on my K10 screen is in the same location.

A couple pictures coming once I finish editing, uploading, and reading this forum
02-20-2009, 04:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's the whole package minus the sleeping bags which are kind of beat up. Better them than the lenses!

These shots are pre-cleaning The MX is good to go, of course, actually loaded with some HP5+.

Und die Familie. The MX is a bit wider (side to side) but shorter. Also notice the different prism tops. This one's for you, Simon

02-20-2009, 06:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Und die Familie. The MX is a bit wider (side to side) but shorter. Also notice the different prism tops. This one's for you, Simon

wow! i hope i can put up a picture like that soon! thanks
which one do you like better? yup, i've been poking around for an mx. i think i will like the me super's electronic shutter, but i wish it had the MX's dial. of course the best combo would be an LX, sigh i missed out on a great LX this week ... i think there's just a thrill of using a fully mechanical device. and i hope w/ more practice to go meterless. that would be lots of fun.
02-21-2009, 01:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Aren't family portraits fun?

I only have "messing around with" impressions of the ME since I have to set a block of time for light seal replacement...and it has to stop snowing and being cold outside so I'm not stuck inside...

Viewfinder: The numbers are harder to see in the ME, and of course there is no aperture window like the MX. To me, the ME image is clearer when focused.

Body: Overall, the same feel. The difference is on the right side where the shutter releases are in different spots. I like the shutter lock on the MX...the ME's L position keeps the little white "lock" button down and only truly locks in Auto. On the ME, I like the size and feel of the shutter button, although it seems easier to inadvertently press all the way instead of halfway. Shutter cock window is also a nice feature on the ME.

Ease of use: Of course, the ME can be in Aperture Priority mode so that takes a step out of the routine, and like the manual says, lets you concentrate on framing and composition. The MX dial is no-nonsense and being the former "pro" model, everything can be done without removing the camera from your eye to see the aperture ring. You just have to do everything on the MX, which is also fun.

Overall, I think both models are good choices and are alike in that they handle like a Pentax but different enough to be enjoyable because I know there are both Av fans and M mode diehards here. Can't wait to get the ME in shooting shape

Simon, you'll like both, I hope mmmmmm...LX. Someday...
02-21-2009, 07:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

oops, forgot to reply to this one. thanks for the impressions.
i can't wait to get these cameras in my hands. i'm down to one film body (excluding P&S) and really want to get in that second camera, one w/ 400H and the other for 400TX
02-22-2009, 11:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It kind of sucks to manage two cameras at one time...but they're so small and, dare I say, streamlined for simplicity?

No buit-in flash to take up space...no need to make the body larger for buttons and LCDs...just right.

New lights seals are in...a process I enjoy as much as taking pics

I have a feeling if you're a manual-mode DSLR user...the MX will feel like the analog version but still familiar.
02-23-2009, 09:10 PM   #12
Inactive Account

I assure you the M f.17 50mm is worth it.
02-24-2009, 01:09 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The f/1.7 is almost a pancake, slightly bigger than the 28mm. An M 50/1.4 looks huge in comparison...

On a side note...has anyone else noticed in vintage Pentax literature...they orient "SMC Pentax ..." directly at the top instead of offset like in reality? Marketing...
02-25-2009, 06:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

woohoo, got my ME super today, threw in my single testing roll of Neopan 400 into it.
i can't believe how such a small camera can have such a huge viewfinder. awesomeness, and the button manual system is genius, no clumsy working the dials with my eye at the vf. i don't think i want an MX any more :P

my only complaint is that with a lens attached, because the mount is so close to the bottom of the camera, the lens touches the surface, something i don't want esp w/ my dear limited lenses. time to grab that FA35 i guess :/
02-25-2009, 10:56 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Invest in the winder, maybe? It would keep the lenses off the table.

Looks like you've found what you were looking for...nothin wrong with that