Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2009, 06:41 PM   #1

mx battery problems

i just bought two new energizer 1.5v batteries to compile into my new-to-me mx which hasn't been used in a little less than 20 years. i know they are the right batteries, but the little lights won't show up! what do i do!?!?

- a devestated photographer anxious to snap some new shots!

02-22-2009, 06:47 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Make sure that the battery contacts are clean on the camera, no corrosion or something like it, scratch them (softly) with some nails file or something to clean it.

Make sure you're installing them in the correct way -I installed it upside down once :P -

Tighten up the little cap with the coin...
02-22-2009, 06:56 PM   #3

Original Poster
dude the batteries are seriously brand new! i just bought them like half an hour ago at like target hahah, could there still be 'corrosion'? and thanks
02-22-2009, 07:14 PM   #4

I didn't say your batteries weren't new... I also said that the camera contacts might have a little corrosion -maybe I'm using a wrong word, I'm from Argentina and this is not my native language- What I mean is when the contacts are with that kind of green "dust" due to old and dead batteries...

If still doesn't work try hitting the camera SOFTLY on the batteries cap... mine sometimes works that way... (I assume there's some wire a little loosen)

02-22-2009, 07:17 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nessamento Quote
dude the batteries are seriously brand new! i just bought them like half an hour ago at like target hahah, could there still be 'corrosion'? and thanks
I think he means corrosion on the CAMERA contacts at the bottom of the battery chamber. Get a new pencil eraser and gently "erase" the contacts until they are shiny, then blow all the eraser bits out of the battery chamber.

When you put the batteries in the holder the plus side is visible to you with the little holder sitting on its base.

Check this manual to be sure you are installing the batteries correct side up. There is a very clear picture.

Pentax Manuals

Click MX on the lower end of the left column and a pdf of the manual will download. The password is Pentax

Let us know what happens.
02-22-2009, 07:18 PM   #6

Original Poster
it's fine i'm from brazil and this is not my native language either! haha. and okay thank you so much!
02-22-2009, 07:41 PM   #7

Original Poster
they were upside down hahahah i feel dumb
02-22-2009, 07:42 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just got a Spotmatic F last week and that's the FIRST THING I DID!!

02-23-2009, 01:54 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Just got a Spotmatic F last week and that's the FIRST THING I DID!!

We all did it and who says he/she haven't is lying