Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
Banned

A beautiful Japanese Import

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Thanks to the Help of Mike Cash, (thank you again) I took delivery of this wonderful SV, shipped Directly from Japan. purchased through a yahoo auction Yahoo!?????? - ? ??????S???????????????? ???? ? I actually received this gem 4 days ago, but due to the ridiculous amount of overtime I have been working (first day off in 8 days) I haven't had the time to put together anything to show this beauty off. so I took all the photos today. truth be told it is already loaded with film, and I had to take off the strap and swap out my 55 for the 35 that came with it just to take these photos. the film advance is so silky smooth its unbelievable, and the viewfinder is great. I truly appreciate the lack of a meter. I cant really explain why but I do. one thing that struck me as soon as I held it was that it was slightly smaller and lighter than my Spotmatic. it also seemed more 'upscale' I don't think that's the best word to use but it just seems to be of better quality. its no wonder Pentax touted itself as a 'fine' camera system. and compared to a Nikon F this thing is truly a gem. haven't finished the first roll yet so no photos to show, but I will soon enough (I have to, as Mike asked to see them) will likely post the good ones (im not so talented) in the Takumar club thread. well here is some eye candy... sorry for the poor photos, I don't have a proper setup for product shots.

oh and Mike, or anyone else who can read Japanese care to translate the note that greeted me when I opened the box? I also enjoyed looking through the newspaper ads. neat stuff (yeah im a bit of a geek..)

sorry about that, got carried away manipulating the photo...

02-23-2009, 02:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
*Sigh* *melting glances*
02-23-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Congrats on the "new" acquisition. I found my SV at a hock-shop with a Super Tak 55/1.8 attached to it and ran some film through it. I was shocked at how well this 40+ year old camera operates! You're absolutely right about the quality of this camera.

- Andrew
02-23-2009, 02:54 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Ah, 'tis a fine thing to see.

02-23-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Ah, 'tis a fine thing to see.
'tis a finer thing to hold, I assure you.
02-23-2009, 03:06 PM   #6

You're makin' me jealous, seaain...

you might have to help me get one of my own in time... I used one as the Sightseeing Screwmount and it was a treat. A real gem of a 35 mm SLR, to be sure. I gotta get my own sometime...
02-23-2009, 03:13 PM   #7
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stevopedia Quote
You're makin' me jealous, seaain...

you might have to help me get one of my own in time... I used one as the Sightseeing Screwmount and it was a treat. A real gem of a 35 mm SLR, to be sure. I gotta get my own sometime...
Séamuis, not Seaain, though I take it as a compliment to get mixed up with him! im next in line for the sightseer, and I cant wait to get my hands on it. at least I will know what to expect when I get it.

02-23-2009, 03:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

From the title, I would have guessed a Japanese car, but knowing you I wouldn't have expected anything else. Such a sweet find!
02-23-2009, 03:21 PM   #9

oh, whoops... well, you're both great guys, so...

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
Séamuis, not Seaain, though I take it as a compliment to get mixed up with him! im next in line for the sightseer, and I cant wait to get my hands on it. at least I will know what to expect when I get it.
02-23-2009, 03:23 PM   #10
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
From the title, I would have guessed a Japanese car, but knowing you I wouldn't have expected anything else. Such a sweet find!
my last Japanese car was a Subaru, but I have been rolling German for quite some time... hmm Ive never used a German camera though... unless my Kodak Retinas count?
02-23-2009, 03:24 PM   #11
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stevopedia Quote

oh, whoops... well, you're both great guys, so...
thank you.
02-23-2009, 04:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

is it totally unused? looks awesome
02-23-2009, 05:17 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
my last Japanese car was a Subaru, but I have been rolling German for quite some time... hmm Ive never used a German camera though... unless my Kodak Retinas count?
Séamuis - congrats. I thought of asking Mike if he'd help me with that too. Glad you got such a nice SV. Gorgeous.

Since you roll German... The German glass from the same period as the SV was extraordinary. My first camera was an Asahi AP with an Isco-Gottingen Tele-Iscaron 1:2.8/135.

Seriously, try some German glass!

This is not for Pentax, but they are out there... dead sexy stuff...

ISCO TELE-ISCARON 180/2.8 EXAKTA TOPCON lens - eBay (item 360133395573 end time Mar-22-09 17:20:57 PDT)

woof
02-23-2009, 06:24 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Wow! It is stunningly beautiful. You really snagged a wonderful piece of historical Pentaxia.

I'm jealous, but I'll get over it.
02-23-2009, 06:40 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Looks beautiful, and that note has me curious.