Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2009, 03:24 PM   #1

New toys, and film "propagandizing"

Hey guys,

This has been a good week for me photographically. Yesterday brought an ME super plus late (plastic!) M 50/2 lens and original soft case and strap, and today brought a K135/3.5 which I purchased from our very own monochrome.

I've fallen for the ME Super--now I understand why it's so loved. VERY compact and lightweight, especially compared to the KX. The screen is brighter than the KX, but no larger. The Av operation is nice, as is the split-image focusing (I'm not lucky enough to have a split prism in my KX ). The shutter is nice and quiet too. It's definitely a keeper, and definitely giving my KX a run for its money as my favorite body. Oh, and the whole ME Super package came from Goodwill for $25

The K lens is definitely a winner too. VERY solidly built, it feels like a Takumar, and definitely feels right at home on the KX. Looking through the viewfinder shows it to be a good lens, at least; I'll have to test it on film (or the ist D) sometime.

And the "propagandizing" (sorry, couldn't think of a better word)? Well, I took the ME Super to school yesterday, and shot off a roll to test. As it happens, one of my friends noticed and got really curious about it. So I let her hold it and shoot a few frames, and I got to thinking. Today I brought the ME again, this time with another roll of film. I simply handed it to my friend and told her to shoot the roll over the course of the day. Not only was she really excited, but all of HER friends got excited too! Everyone wanted to try the "cool camera!" So not only did I get another test roll done (I haven't gotten to devving the first roll, and this second one is developing as I write this) but I think I got at least one young person (possibly more!) interested in photography... FILM photography!

Not bad at all, wouldn't you say?

02-25-2009, 03:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice job.

I'm using my ME super in my College photography class and I've been making some superb images with it.
02-25-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I bought an ME, SuperProgram, and K1000 last month. The ME is by far my favourite - a sweet little body for sure!
02-25-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice! It's great to hear that she was intrigued by film, as opposed to running from it.

The ME Super was my first 35mm SLR - back in about 1986 or so. I liked it so much that a couple of years later I bought a second body (used), so I could shoot B&W or faster film than I regularly kept in my original body. They both served me well for about 10 years, and when I upgraded to a Zx-5n in the early-mid '90's I still kept them around for B&W or fast film.
About a year ago I finally took the plunge to DSLR, but my original ME Super is still in the bag with about half a roll of B&W film to go. Now that you've reminded me, I think I'll drag it out this weekend and finish off that roll. I STILL love that camera!

I hope she gets some "keepers" from her experiment today. That might just set the photography hook in her......

Tim

Last edited by UpNorth; 02-25-2009 at 08:31 PM.
02-25-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Good to hear that you got one hooked. I loaned my officemate a K1000 and an external light meter and she enjoyed the experience so much, she's now shooting more rolls of film than I do.
02-25-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

nice ... i got my ME Super today too
it truly is a fantastic camera, makes their cheapness on the second hand market quite surprising
04-12-2009, 03:31 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I have a K1000 and a ME Super. The screw that holds the film advance lever onto the camera is missing, but I manage. I did find a users manual for it online. It's in pdf format and it is readable.
04-12-2009, 09:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

My ME Super is always ready and loaded with Tri-X. In fact, it has the M135/3.5 on it right now. Some days, that's all I take with me. I got one of those plastic 50/2's with a K1000 - still, even for plastic, it seems solidly built. At least the K-mount is still metal, which is where it really matters.

Glad to see you spreadin' the word that film's not dead!