Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #91
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have here Herbert Keppler "The Asahi Pentax Way" 9th Edition has some light green pages after the index which describe in detail the differences between the ME and the MX.
I also have the Manuals for both, and I had the ME Super until about 1985 and now have the MX.
They both were the first slr " to make use of gallium arsenic phosphorus photo diodes"
Keppler: " Let's turn to the Pentax MX, a non-automatic mechanical cloth-shutter just slightly bigger and heavier than the ME. The MX has been designed not only for the serious amateur who prefers to control his own exposures completely, but also for professionals requiring bulk film backs, motor drives and interchangeable screens.
Keppler goes on to describe the MX, and its FP flash synch.

We should not forget the professional cameras like Hasselblad and Graflex that were getting hammered by the Japan small formats at the time. Maybe by the above comment, The Asahi Optical Co at the time did not intend to aim at the full pro photog.

Examining the MX here it has a body of brass plated, painted steel, heavier controls and a heavier more rigid rear door & hinges than the Ricoh KR-5 that I used as a work camera for many years. The MX pentaprism dome is also of heavy brass plated steel whereas the Ricohs are of molded plastic.

The MX is reputed to have a bright, clear Viewfinder which it does, The Ricohs here are very close, compared lens by lens. Also my Ist ds which has a pentaprism has a smaller asp-c viewfinder, almost as bright as the MX, and lacking the split image focus.

08-21-2012, 04:45 AM   #92
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have had my MX since new. It was my first really good camera, and I loved it. The only cameras I had tried before were a ZeissIkon Contessa - a foldup range finder, and Ricoh XR500 - a real entry level SLR. Then I got some spare money after working in a coal mine and got it. It served me well and felt wonderful in the hands. And it gavve me control of my pictures. Good it could go without batteries - except for the lightmeter.
08-21-2012, 06:28 AM   #93

Photos: Albums
I love the MX.

Started with a K1000 that I was given, and liked it enough to buy some more lenses for it. Read about the MX's features and how much people like using it, so I picked one up. Immediately turned into my primary camera.

Kept the K1000 for backup duty... but found I was actually a little irritated at using the K1000 from the larger size and missing features and even avoiding using it. So, I ordered a second MX!

Each MX is loaded with a different film- usually "fast" in one and "slow" in the other. The K1000 is permanently loaded with Tri-X 400 for those times when I feel like doing the "back to basics" thing for a day.

The MX is just a nice, easy to use body that never gets in the way. Just a joy to use with the SMC-M lenses they released with it.