Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2009, 12:21 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
To me, I think the ME Super has a quieter shutter. The MX is more of a "clunk" the ME is "clink."

I posted a couple impressions here in post #9 of the ME Super vs the MX. I'll have to put a roll through the ME-S for a full comparison.

Having said that...I do enjoy the full control of MX, normally shooting in Manual with digital. Time will tell how I feel about the ME-S, but I'm initially impressed by it
Yeah, saw your 'local package' thread, nice finding

I like to shooting in M mode too when I'm using a dSLR camera, but shooting in manual w/ digital is quite a bit different from shooting w/ an MX, the dials on our digital cameras are much easier to turn, not to say the green button for easy metering. But I agree w/ you, it's quite fun to play w/ the MX camera.

02-26-2009, 12:25 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CSoars Quote
Speaking of shutter speeds, the MX has a nice, sharp yet muted 'THWAP', while the LX seems more of a 'CLACK' with a metallic pinging afternote.

Like the MX's compact size, but the shutter dial is quite stiff between detents, which is the main reason I like the LX. Comparing the two, the MX has a bigger, slightly darker VF, that includes half stops in the EV reading.

I'm a little torn between the two, for me the MX seems more organic, simple and compact, but the LX fits my hand better, is easier to adjust exposure, has a wider manual meter (1/2000th, 2 and 4 secs) and features the all important AE for grab shots and the occasional long exposure. Plus MLU, ev comp, frame count when rewinding, etc.

Yet I still like the MX, for its 'feel' and shutter sound, despite the advantages the LX has in metering and tactile control. Maybe because it was my first SLR, given as a gift before I left to live abroad for a year. I could never sell it, and almost feel obliged to use and love it.
IMO, MX is a joy to hold and look at (especially from its front ), but LX is far superior handling wise. W/ a B grip on, LX is really hard to beat for a 35mm film camera
02-26-2009, 07:00 AM   #18
Banned

maybe if I owned an LX my view would be different, but out of all the K mount cameras I have used ( I also own a Super A) the MX is by far the best of the best. if I could transplant the meter, AE, MLU, interchangeable finders, weather sealing, and strap lugs all over the the smaller MX it would be the greatest 35mm SLR ever. period. hrmmm. maybe I should get an LX?
02-26-2009, 07:17 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Hi All,

I've played quite some film cameras since I went back to film last year, including a couple of MX cameras. I know quite some people love MX, but after comparing it against some other manual cameras like ME/ME Super or SuperA/SuperProgram, I feel those cameras are much easier to use. MX does have bigger and brighter viewfinder (not much bigger than ME/ME Super's), but its film forward winding just doesn't feel as well as ME Super or SuperA, not to say LX, and its speed dial isn't easy to reach or turn. It's a full manual camera, most time I'm too busy turning both aperture ring and speed dial to get proper exposure, plus manual focusing, sometimes I just lost the fun of taking photos.

It's a beautiful camera, very solid and well built. But its body seems to be too short to feel comfortable. SuperA/SuperProgram feels much better in this regard. After playing it for a while, I just don't know what's the fuzz about it. I feel ME Super and SuperA/Super Program are better cameras (easier to use, better handling ...)

Care to share your thoughts on this?

Oh btw, I still love the camera, probably would keep it long, for collection purpose mostly I guess.
Hey there Frank! Personally, the allure for me is that the MX is the all-mechanical sibling to the LX. While LR44 batteries are plentiful, my main concern with the LX is that replacement parts for its electronic components will be harder to come by as time passes. I don't mind the meter failing, as that's to be expected with any old camera (though in fairness, my 2nd-hand LX is still going strong), but I also don't want to be stuck with only fast shutter speeds available should the electronic part of the hybrid shutter fail, too.

Minus a couple of key features, the MX has the conveniences available to the LX, especially the wealth of accessories for the MX. That, and should the electronics die, the camera is still perfectly usable with all speeds enabled.

That said, I'm growing to appreciate the KX I got here, and I believe it already fulfills what I wanted in the MX. I just need to get used to the match-needle metering.

02-26-2009, 07:24 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
maybe if I owned an LX my view would be different, but out of all the K mount cameras I have used ( I also own a Super A) the MX is by far the best of the best. if I could transplant the meter, AE, MLU, interchangeable finders, weather sealing, and strap lugs all over the the smaller MX it would be the greatest 35mm SLR ever. period. hrmmm. maybe I should get an LX?
Yes, you should. It's a really beautiful camera, personally, and in use, it certainly emanates a feel of a fine precision tool. Although I'll be the first to admit that what I say now is tinted heavily with a bias towards the LX.

From my own personal memory, there are only 3 cameras amongst the many that I've had the pleasure of using/borrowing/owning that gave off a distinct feeling of pleasure using it. One's the Spotmatic, one's the Yashica Electro 35 GSN, and one's the LX. Of course, I've never had the chance to hold other classics like Nikon's F3, Canon's F-1, Olympus OM-1, and some other hallmark cameras.
02-26-2009, 07:48 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
To me, I think the ME Super has a quieter shutter. The MX is more of a "clunk" the ME is "clink."
the mirror slap on the ME Super seems pretty rough. is the MX the same way?
02-26-2009, 07:59 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
the mirror slap on the ME Super seems pretty rough. is the MX the same way?
my MX has surprisingly quiet mirror slap. especially so when compared to pretty loud K100Ds.

02-26-2009, 08:41 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Hi All,

I've played quite some film cameras since I went back to film last year, including a couple of MX cameras. I know quite some people love MX, but after comparing it against some other manual cameras like ME/ME Super or SuperA/SuperProgram, I feel those cameras are much easier to use. MX does have bigger and brighter viewfinder (not much bigger than ME/ME Super's), but its film forward winding just doesn't feel as well as ME Super or SuperA, not to say LX, and its speed dial isn't easy to reach or turn. It's a full manual camera, most time I'm too busy turning both aperture ring and speed dial to get proper exposure, plus manual focusing, sometimes I just lost the fun of taking photos.

It's a beautiful camera, very solid and well built. But its body seems to be too short to feel comfortable. SuperA/SuperProgram feels much better in this regard. After playing it for a while, I just don't know what's the fuzz about it. I feel ME Super and SuperA/Super Program are better cameras (easier to use, better handling ...)

Care to share your thoughts on this?

Oh btw, I still love the camera, probably would keep it long, for collection purpose mostly I guess.
it all goes back to what I call the M syndrom. Olympus hired a sexy model, Cheryl Tigs I think, to promote their cameras, which were sold as the smallest SLRs ever. Pentax came out witht he M series at about the same time, and I think, the MX was actually the smallest body ever for 35mm film.

In fact, I found it just too small, so I didn't buy it. I started with a Ricoh XR2s and a KX, both full sized film bodies
02-26-2009, 09:16 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Pentax MX has all the essential features for 35mm SLR photography, and nothing more.
It was for a time the Pentax top-of-the-line professional model. All in a very slick package.

This is one camera I have tried hard to love; I have bought, sold and re-bought MX bodies several times.
One major annoyance for me is the shutter speed display which intrudes too far into the focusing screen.
But the real dealbreaker is that it's just too small for my big hands to quickly and easily operate.

Chris
02-26-2009, 09:20 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Sounds like some of the notions of relative mirror noise may have to do with the condition of particular examples, and what folks are comparing to. (like smaller digital mirrors and such.)

I think one reason people like the MXes over ME Supers is really the latter's got the funny little shutter speed buttons, and in general, less-convenient manual metering: it's really an aperture-priority only camera with an override put back in, rather than one designed around manual metering. They're both lovely-small cameras, of course, got an ME Super, myself, mostly to have something that can share lenses with digital on any occasion I want to be carrying light.
02-26-2009, 09:23 AM   #26
Veteran Member

For those of you who find the MX too small, try the optional winder. It makes a perfect camera even more so.

02-26-2009, 10:06 AM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
For those of you who find the MX too small, try the optional winder. It makes a perfect camera even more so.

Does your winder not... wind until you release the shutter button in S mode? Mine will trip the shutter, and delay the wind until the button is released, which is a little odd.

Winder is great, battery door sucks, I've had to use a small bolt to hold it in place which necessitates the removal of the top plate to open the compartment; 2 of the tiny bolts are left out this way. Luckily I put in Lithiums and don't use it too often, so it should be a while before having to disassemble it.

The little plastic threaded bolt sheared off after sitting tight for a while; there's quite a bit of tension on the door from the battery springs.
02-26-2009, 10:10 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Small body+winder=Very nice. I used to use my friend's ME Super with a winder like that and was pretty fond of the combination. I'm half-afraid to get the winder now, cause I know it'd stay on there and defeat the purpose of the little film backup.

Then again, I count myself pretty lucky in the hands department: I get along with most sizes of things.
02-26-2009, 10:17 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CSoars Quote
Does your winder not... wind until you release the shutter button in S mode? Mine will trip the shutter, and delay the wind until the button is released, which is a little odd.
Many single-frame modes are like that, if there's a choice, actually, they're meant so that it takes another shutter press to release the shutter. If you can delay the winding, it can be handy for being selective about when and how you really announce the camera's presence with the winder's noise and such.
02-26-2009, 10:31 AM   #30
Inactive Account

I find it kind of breaks my 'flow' if doing a little shoot or session, I'd rather leave it on C and release when I hear the wind. At 2 fps, I'm not going to be shooting accidental frames.

It is damned noisy, though, negates the lovely cloth shutter I'm so fond of.