Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What's the fuzz about MX cameras?

Hi All,

I've played quite some film cameras since I went back to film last year, including a couple of MX cameras. I know quite some people love MX, but after comparing it against some other manual cameras like ME/ME Super or SuperA/SuperProgram, I feel those cameras are much easier to use. MX does have bigger and brighter viewfinder (not much bigger than ME/ME Super's), but its film forward winding just doesn't feel as well as ME Super or SuperA, not to say LX, and its speed dial isn't easy to reach or turn. It's a full manual camera, most time I'm too busy turning both aperture ring and speed dial to get proper exposure, plus manual focusing, sometimes I just lost the fun of taking photos.

It's a beautiful camera, very solid and well built. But its body seems to be too short to feel comfortable. SuperA/SuperProgram feels much better in this regard. After playing it for a while, I just don't know what's the fuzz about it. I feel ME Super and SuperA/Super Program are better cameras (easier to use, better handling ...)

Care to share your thoughts on this?

Oh btw, I still love the camera, probably would keep it long, for collection purpose mostly I guess.

02-25-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'd have to agree with you on this one. Although I do see it having one purpose--a super compact 35mm SLR when you have the M40/2.8 mounted. It is slightly smaller than the ME Super/Super Program, although not by much. I think my favorite out of the ones I have used is the Super Program. I really like the addition of the grip, which really adds to the ergonomics of it. And you get full auto and Tv mode if you've A series or later lenses. The MX was just a bit tedious to use, just as any of the full manual older film cameras are.

Though, it would be good for learning all about exposure and stuff, because you have to manually change things.

I guess I'll keep mine for a bit longer, although maybe not for too long. If I shoot film it will probably be with the super program, so it won't do much other than just look good sitting there.
02-25-2009, 07:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

- It works without battery (try that with SuperA/SuperProgram).

- Focusing screen is user-changeable. Not that you'll change the screen much, but it's sure easier to clean, especially when you're restoring one with the foam having deterioted and with the black yucky stuff all over the screen.

- Can do mirror lock up if you're careful.
02-25-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

i just got my ME Super and on a usability basis it's awesome. the buttons are really easier than using the speed dial. i think my craving for a MX just died.

02-25-2009, 08:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
- It works without battery (try that with SuperA/SuperProgram).

- Focusing screen is user-changeable. Not that you'll change the screen much, but it's sure easier to clean, especially when you're restoring one with the foam having deterioted and with the black yucky stuff all over the screen.

- Can do mirror lock up if you're careful.
LR44 batteries are still easily available, and they don't take much space if I put a pair of spare ones in the bag

Focusing screen on SuperProgram is pretty easy to take out too, just unscrew the two screws from the front, right above the focusing screen Not as easy as MX, but still pretty easy comparing w/ ME/ME Super.

I still can't get the mirror locked up w/ my MX, that trick needs some practise

Hey, thanks for the input btw, really appreciate.
02-25-2009, 08:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
I'd have to agree with you on this one. Although I do see it having one purpose--a super compact 35mm SLR when you have the M40/2.8 mounted. It is slightly smaller than the ME Super/Super Program, although not by much. I think my favorite out of the ones I have used is the Super Program. I really like the addition of the grip, which really adds to the ergonomics of it. And you get full auto and Tv mode if you've A series or later lenses. The MX was just a bit tedious to use, just as any of the full manual older film cameras are.

Though, it would be good for learning all about exposure and stuff, because you have to manually change things.

I guess I'll keep mine for a bit longer, although maybe not for too long. If I shoot film it will probably be with the super program, so it won't do much other than just look good sitting there.
Seems we both feel the same
02-25-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
i just got my ME Super and on a usability basis it's awesome. the buttons are really easier than using the speed dial. i think my craving for a MX just died.
ME Super is a nice little camera, big viewfinder, Av for easy use, the only trick part is the small little white dot isn't easy to press when you wanna lock/unlock the camera or change mode. The one on SuperProgram is quite a bit easier

Last edited by frank; 02-25-2009 at 08:28 PM.
02-25-2009, 08:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

it's supposed to be red? mines is white ... but yeah, that would be my complaint too
02-25-2009, 08:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
it's supposed to be red? mines is white ... but yeah, that would be my complaint too
Sorry, typo It's white dot.

Actually I've got one ME Super w/ the mode dial stuck at Av position. I think the previous owner got tired of this little white dot, just left it there all these years. I spent quite a while to take off the dial, cleaned it up and put it back. Now the dial turns to each mode click and sound
02-25-2009, 08:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I love how smooth the shutter feels, how little vibration it has, and the very bright, sharp and large magnification viewfinder is (better than the LX IMHO). Once installed with a newer brighter screen, manual focus is a joy (trying to manual focus with Pentax cameras since the Z series is a torture ). However, the MX is getting very old and many with aging shutter timers which are unable to hold the accuracy. The top is also too prone to dent imho. The ME Super has the same high magnification viewfinder too, but its screen is fixed and dim, and I hate fixed screen because the trapped dust cannot be blown off. But being the most successful camera at the time, Pentax did many things right.

The Super A/Program is the most feature rich manual focus body Pentax have ever made. I had a few in the past too. But in practice, the push button is awkward and slow to use, the focus screen while removable, it is dark and not interchangable. Mated with smaller magnification, manual focus is more difficult than the MX. The shutter/mirror is also very noisy with most vibration. I tested the MX & Super A on a rigid tripod with FA*200/2.8 & FA*300/4.5. While the MX was able to produce sharp images, images from the Super A suffered from vibration. Another way to test is to put a glass of water on the prism, fire the shutter through timer and observe how the water vibrates. Would be fun.
02-25-2009, 08:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I love how smooth the shutter feels, how little vibration it has, and the very bright, sharp and large magnification viewfinder is (better than the LX IMHO). Once installed with a newer brighter screen, manual focus is a joy (trying to manual focus with Pentax cameras since the Z series is a torture ). However, the MX is getting very old and many with aging shutter timers which are unable to hold the accuracy. The top is also too prone to dent imho. The ME Super has the same high magnification viewfinder too, but its screen is fixed and dim, and I hate fixed screen because the trapped dust cannot be blown off. But being the most successful camera at the time, Pentax did many things right.

The Super A/Program is the most feature rich manual focus body Pentax have ever made. I had a few in the past too. But in practice, the push button is awkward and slow to use, the focus screen while removable, it is dark and not interchangable. Mated with smaller magnification, manual focus is more difficult than the MX. The shutter/mirror is also very noisy with most vibration. I tested the MX & Super A on a rigid tripod with FA*200/2.8 & FA*300/4.5. While the MX was able to produce sharp images, images from the Super A suffered from vibration. Another way to test is to put a glass of water on the prism, fire the shutter through timer and observe how the water vibrates. Would be fun.
Hi Alan, thanks for your input. You are always very resourceful

Yes, I do feel MX has quieter shutter sound, but I'm kind used to the noisy shutter sound of LX I do love the MX' viewfinder, seems slightly brighter than the one in ME Super, and it shows aperture value right on the top too, which is another feature most other MF cameras are missing.

Don't think I'm gonna try the last part you suggested though
02-25-2009, 10:48 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
. . . After playing it for a while, I just don't know what's the fuzz about it. I feel ME Super and SuperA/Super Program are better cameras (easier to use, better handling ...)
Boz's website might have something to do with it

The "Best" Pentax Cameras

All the cameras discussed in this thread are in the PDML top bodies list from some years ago, but MX is right below LX, and is described as a "pro" camera. Does the 'Bible" influence our "opinion?"

Over the years I have tried and sold a couple dozen Pentax fully mechanical bodies - Spotmatic through MX - and I'm still doing it. Gotta stop and just use what I have.

If I want to use an "X" body for the joy of full mechanical shooting, I want the KX or SPF because I have large hands.

If I want a compact, "pocket" body (one lens, in the cargo pocket) I want the MESuper due to its more comfortable form and ease of use compared to the MX.

If I know I'm going to shoot a large number of frames (sports, vacation) I take the K10D and more lenses.

I've always entertained the notion of selling all the bodies and buying a very nice LX. Hmmmmmm.
02-25-2009, 11:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

To me, I think the ME Super has a quieter shutter. The MX is more of a "clunk" the ME is "clink."

I posted a couple impressions here in post #9 of the ME Super vs the MX. I'll have to put a roll through the ME-S for a full comparison.

Having said that...I do enjoy the full control of MX, normally shooting in Manual with digital. Time will tell how I feel about the ME-S, but I'm initially impressed by it
02-26-2009, 12:09 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Speaking of shutter speeds, the MX has a nice, sharp yet muted 'THWAP', while the LX seems more of a 'CLACK' with a metallic pinging afternote.

Like the MX's compact size, but the shutter dial is quite stiff between detents, which is the main reason I like the LX. Comparing the two, the MX has a bigger, slightly darker VF, that includes half stops in the EV reading.

I'm a little torn between the two, for me the MX seems more organic, simple and compact, but the LX fits my hand better, is easier to adjust exposure, has a wider manual meter (1/2000th, 2 and 4 secs) and features the all important AE for grab shots and the occasional long exposure. Plus MLU, ev comp, frame count when rewinding, etc.

Yet I still like the MX, for its 'feel' and shutter sound, despite the advantages the LX has in metering and tactile control. Maybe because it was my first SLR, given as a gift before I left to live abroad for a year. I could never sell it, and almost feel obliged to use and love it.
02-26-2009, 12:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Boz's website might have something to do with it

The "Best" Pentax Cameras

All the cameras discussed in this thread are in the PDML top bodies list from some years ago, but MX is right below LX, and is described as a "pro" camera. Does the 'Bible" influence our "opinion?"

Over the years I have tried and sold a couple dozen Pentax fully mechanical bodies - Spotmatic through MX - and I'm still doing it. Gotta stop and just use what I have.

If I want to use an "X" body for the joy of full mechanical shooting, I want the KX or SPF because I have large hands.

If I want a compact, "pocket" body (one lens, in the cargo pocket) I want the MESuper due to its more comfortable form and ease of use compared to the MX.

If I know I'm going to shoot a large number of frames (sports, vacation) I take the K10D and more lenses.

I've always entertained the notion of selling all the bodies and buying a very nice LX. Hmmmmmm.
Oh yeah, I know the "X" effect The only "X" body I haven't bought yet is the KX, although I did play it in a local shop (a beaten up KX has been sitting in the shop for as long as I remember ), feels pretty nice.

I agree, LX is a super nice camera. The price certainly has come down quite a lot, you can have a good condition one for less than $300 on eBay if you get lucky