Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2009, 08:40 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mudman Quote
There's a place in Britain that does a good job as well. A friend of mine just had his spotmatic repaired there. I can hunt down the name for you if you want.

EDIT: Here is the link Pentax Camera Repairs Direct
I can recommend Harrow Technical too. They did a good job on my LX and were nice to deal with.

03-08-2009, 01:27 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome aboard!!!! Once you have tasted the dark side, there is not going back.
03-08-2009, 01:37 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Welcome aboard!!!! Once you have tasted the dark side, there is not going back.
dark side? we're the good ones here
03-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
dark side? we're the good ones here
Oh, I agree, but ask the DSLR ''only'' guys

03-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #20
Banned

I had the same problem with my ME Super. I got my Lunasix 3 and compensated the meter with the ASA setting. Cheap.
03-09-2009, 05:39 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, that's weird. I got the meter to work correctly it seems (I have no idea how that happened but now the meter suddenly agrees with my OM-1) but the shutter speeds are still off. Luckily, the difference seems to be almost exactly one full stop. I measured some of the speeds on AUTO as well as the single mechanical speed and they are all about one stop too fast. So this must mean that if I keep the exposure compensation dial at 2x at all times, or set the ASA speed one stop lower than the actual film, I should be OK..?

Any idea what sort of failure in the camera would cause the shutter speeds to be one stop faster than they should be?

Man, I'm almost leaning towards sending this to Eric, even if I'm on the other side of the pond and it would probably cost a fortune just to send it to and fro him. It just feels like I'm doing an injustice to the camera by not keeping it in perfect condition and using it, even if it IS a cheap and common model that's not worth much.

Last edited by Erik; 03-09-2009 at 05:48 AM.
03-09-2009, 06:02 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Boucicaut Quote
I can recommend Harrow Technical too. They did a good job on my LX and were nice to deal with.
This seems very promising! Sending the camera to UK is less of a hassle than sending it to America and the price for ME repairs looks very reasonable. Thanks for the link mudman!

03-10-2009, 06:46 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I may have found a really good local deal--I go to take a look at the gear tomorrow afternoon. If everything looks good, then I may be making a bit of an impulse purchase of my own. This seller is selling off her dad's gear after he passed and wants $60 for the following:

ME body
ME Super body
M28/2.8
M? 50/1.7
JCPenney 80-200
Vivitar 28-70/3.5-4.8
various filters
a flash (don't know which one)
a bag

If I wind up getting it, then I'll most definitely be keeping the ME Super and 28/2.8 and getting rid of the ME; the rest of the stuff, I'm not sure. Other than the 28, I really dont need any of the other lenses, as I already have a FA43 and DFA100 that will work on the ME Super. I'll most likely play around with the other lenses with one of the DSLR bodies to see if they're any good and go from there.

I've got a couple of shoots coming up Friday evening and Saturday afternoon, so if I do wind up getting all of this, then I'll see about picking up some film and taking the film body along with the DSLR. I'd like to try some Ektar 100 and Tri-X.

Keep your fingers crossed that everything works out.

Heather
03-10-2009, 06:48 PM   #24
Veteran Member

run don't walk for that deal!!
although you might want to get that gear checked out.
03-10-2009, 07:12 PM   #25
Veteran Member

although you might want to get that gear checked out.
According to the seller, both bodies work, but I'll take a close look to make sure that things are OK. Assuming that I snatch up the deal, I figure that I'll eventually send the ME Super to Eric for a little CLA--as to how soon will depend on the condition of things like the seals. As for the lenses, as long as the aperture and focusing rings work and there's no fungus, I'm set.

I'd be over there in the morning, but there's a little thing in the way called a job that I have to go to first--sigh...

Heather
03-11-2009, 02:02 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
^ That's a super deal, just do it. You can probably sell the ME and one or two of the less attractive lenses and get your $60 back.

Well, I just found out the film counter doesn't work either on my ME. I guess it really needs some help. Will ship it to Harrow Tech most likely.
03-11-2009, 10:16 AM   #27
Veteran Member

You having non-buyer's regret about that LX, K?
03-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #28
Banned

Just got a new Pentax Super Program. It arrives Friday. We'll see.
03-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I went and checked the gear out and while it was OK, there was something inside of me that hesitated, so I followed that and didn't buy anything today. I offered to buy the ME Super and the M28/2.8 only, but the seller wasn't willing to break up the kit.

I don't get paid until next week, so I'll most likely wait until then before I buy, at least. If I had bought the gear today, it would've put me in a tight spot, financially. Considering that I have greater needs than another body, I'll just wait.

Heather
03-30-2009, 11:15 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stevopedia Quote
The ME is a nice body, but aperture priority only. Which, like I said, doesn't make it a bad body at all--just a bit limited. It's small, light, easy-to-use, and well-built.
What does that mean ? it doesn't have ordinary manual mode, for setting shuttertime and aperture ?

(Boz site seem to state the same
Pentax M-Series Film Bodies )

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
Well, I keep my digital body in Av 95% of the time anyway so I'll probably be fine.
Me too. I'm considering an ME Super or ME special edition. Don't know how much the 1/1000 second shutterspeed would annoy