Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Impulse buy! I'm now an analog Pentaxian!

Found this setup on an auction site and bought it ("Buy it Now" price) on a whim:

Pentax ME
SMC Pentax-M 40-80/2.8-4
SMC Pentax-M 50/1.7
Auto Chinon 135/2.8
Soligor 28-80/3.5-4.5

For a very good price, too. I'm excited! I really wanted an ME Super or Super Program for my first Pentax film body but at the price, I just couldn't pass this up! Woo!

The 40-80 doesn't have any reviews in the database. Anyone have anything to say about this lens?

03-01-2009, 02:39 PM   #2

Nice! Welcome to the team!

The ME is a nice body, but aperture priority only. Which, like I said, doesn't make it a bad body at all--just a bit limited. It's small, light, easy-to-use, and well-built.

That M 50/1.7 is a fantastic lens. You'll love it. I've heard good things about that Chinon 135 too... I think there are examples in the off-brand club over in the lens forum. Unfortunately I don't know anything of the others, so I can't help you there.
03-01-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stevopedia Quote
The ME is a nice body, but aperture priority only. Which, like I said, doesn't make it a bad body at all--just a bit limited. It's small, light, easy-to-use, and well-built.
Well, I keep my digital body in Av 95% of the time anyway so I'll probably be fine. I'm thinking I'll probably keep this until I find a Super Program for a decent price and then sell the ME and switch. It will be fine for now, however. I'm looking forward to trying my Zenitar 16 fisheye in a non-cropped manner!

(Oh, and guys, 55 dollars for the lot. Just sayin'.)
03-01-2009, 03:12 PM   #4

Wow, then it really was a steal! Nice find!

The Super Program looks like a really good body too. It's the only other manual body on my to-procure list.

...Except for a Spotmatic and an SV. Or S3. And maybe an MX... *curses CBA*

03-01-2009, 03:20 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
$55 for the lot!

The Pentax-M 50/1.7 is worth that by itself. You did good...

Steve
03-01-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
(Oh, and guys, 55 dollars for the lot. Just sayin'.)
Sheesh, $55 for all of that. Great deal.
03-01-2009, 03:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
$55 for the lot!

The Pentax-M 50/1.7 is worth that by itself. You did good...

Steve

! Now that's the steal of the week.

03-01-2009, 04:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Woohoo. Congrats.
03-01-2009, 05:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
Found this setup on an auction site and bought it ("Buy it Now" price) on a whim:

Pentax ME
SMC Pentax-M 40-80/2.8-4
SMC Pentax-M 50/1.7
Auto Chinon 135/2.8
Soligor 28-80/3.5-4.5

For a very good price, too. I'm excited! I really wanted an ME Super or Super Program for my first Pentax film body but at the price, I just couldn't pass this up! Woo!

The 40-80 doesn't have any reviews in the database. Anyone have anything to say about this lens?
Kudos on the buy. 55 dollars is a mighty fine price for that lot.

Maybe you could help Adam and the crew fill in the gaps with the lens reviews by posting your own review for that 40-80? I'm sure that'll help others in the future who might come across that lens in auctions and stuff.

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
! Now that's the steal of the week.
That might be a good thread to start. Steal of the week.
03-01-2009, 08:57 PM   #10

I got an ME Super plus M 50/2 and strap and soft case and battery for $25 at Goodwill... not the caliber of deal we're talking with Erik, but still a good deal, no?
03-01-2009, 10:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I got an ME Super plus M 50/2 and strap and soft case and battery for $25 at Goodwill... not the caliber of deal we're talking with Erik, but still a good deal, no?
I envy you guys.
03-05-2009, 12:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay -- unfortunately this camera is not in 100% working condition it seems. The meter is off and the shutter speeds seem wrong. For instance, when it indicates 1 second in the viewfinder, it sounds more like 1/2 sec. I am going to measure later whether the mechanical speed seems OK.

Now, for the question: are these symptoms of failing batteries on ME cameras? If the batteries are old, would the shutter speeds be shorter than usual and would the light meter be off?
03-05-2009, 03:37 AM   #13

Why don't you try new batteries in it and see what happens?

Honestly, though, it sounds that all is not well with your ME and it needs serviced, à la Eric. Unfortunately it is the great deals on eBay that need additional investment. My KX was that way, and I sent it off to Eric to be made right. And now it's like new, save for a few cosmetic things. I highly, *highly* reccomend Eric.
03-05-2009, 03:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Why don't you try new batteries in it and see what happens?
Going to do that probably, but I just thought that if anyone knows for sure that this is probably not a battery issue, I'm not even going to waste the $5.

Honestly, though, it sounds that all is not well with your ME and it needs serviced, à la Eric. Unfortunately it is the great deals on eBay that need additional investment. My KX was that way, and I sent it off to Eric to be made right. And now it's like new, save for a few cosmetic things. I highly, *highly* reccomend Eric.
I'm still okay with the deal because the lenses were fine (I did not get the 40-80 but honestly it was wishful thinking on my part, since it was not listed in the auction BUT the camera was shown with it mounted) and they alone were worth the price.

I would send it off to Eric in a jiffy if it was plausible, but I'm in Sweden. Shipping it back and forth to America would, again, cost more than the camera is worth. I really would like to have it functioning well though because it breaks my heart a little bit to see a nice camera like this in disrepair. (Yes, I'm a nerd, I guess)
03-08-2009, 07:53 AM   #15
Forum Member

There's a place in Britain that does a good job as well. A friend of mine just had his spotmatic repaired there. I can hunt down the name for you if you want.

EDIT: Here is the link http://www.harrowtechnical.co.uk/

Last edited by mudman; 03-08-2009 at 08:20 AM.