Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2009, 01:51 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Ilford HP5 400 temperature

Hello,

Last week I picked up couple of HP5 and FP4 rolls. I noticed a temperature marking on the package of HP5 indicating below 24 deg C.

(Picture taken from web)

Though I've shot with HP5 before and all pictures came perfectly fine, I got a bit paranoid this time (stupid me ) and stored them in my refrigerator.

Did I do anything wrong ? What does that temperature marking on HP5 mean?

Any help appreciated

Cheers
Nish

03-02-2009, 02:34 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Mate, I live in a place that was, on my birthday, the hottest place on the planet.

IE, quite a bit warmer than Blighty.

BW tends to be a bit more stable than colour, and I've kept HP5 in my backpack for weeks.

Yes, it does help if you keep 'em cold - very handy. Hell, freezing's a good method for ultra-long-term storage. Standard practice, really - good photo stores will have film in a fridge. Just bring it up to ambient temperature inside the canister before you shoot, to prevent condensation forming on the film.

But keeping it in at room temp in England should be fine. The 24 degrees thing is there mostly to stop Ilford getting sued.
03-02-2009, 02:41 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for that Lithos.

A bit relieved that it was not a stupid decision on my part.!!

Cheers
Nish
03-02-2009, 05:42 AM   #4

No, not stupid at all. Actually putting film in a refrigerator or (especially) a freezer is a good way of keeping film fresh beyond its expiration date. Frozen film will stay good for decades.

Speaking of frozen film, I have a bunch of stuff in my freezer that needs developed...

03-02-2009, 12:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I just grabbed an HP5 box for a closer look...that little arrow next to the 24C is pointing down, indicating any temp below that...so that Ilford won't get angry letters for messed up film.

I have some films at room temp, some in the fridge, and some frozen. All depends on when/how often you use em Those frozen films are from the late 70s, and I intend to use em
03-02-2009, 01:26 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Those frozen films are from the late 70s, and I intend to use em
You are sure to get a high contrast, only BLACK & WHITE (no grays) pictures from your film after over preserving them..

BTW, are there any techniques to store negatives after it is developed ?

Cheers
Nish
03-02-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Just for kicks, I thought I'd chime in.

When I got back into film shooting/developing, I dug up a roll of HP5 that I'd taken about 8 or 9 years ago. I hadn't had it developed cuz there wasn't anything terribly important on there.

So when I started up again, I decided to try to develop this old roll and very surprisingly I got decent negatives from them! I didn't take any special measures to store it, just left it in the canister and left it in ambient temperature.

Only side effect I found was slightly degraded IQ (as far as I can tell) and the negatives curled much more than normal.

03-02-2009, 02:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bnishanth Quote
You are sure to get a high contrast, only BLACK & WHITE (no grays) pictures from your film after over preserving them..

BTW, are there any techniques to store negatives after it is developed ?

Cheers
Nish
Yes, that's why I've hesitated on using them...not only for questions of development, but I have to find just the right subject.

If you're not going to develop right away, I'd say put the roll back in the fridge, since the cold "slows" the film from the chemical degradation it will go through.
QuoteOriginally posted by Nachodog Quote
Just for kicks, I thought I'd chime in.

When I got back into film shooting/developing, I dug up a roll of HP5 that I'd taken about 8 or 9 years ago. I hadn't had it developed cuz there wasn't anything terribly important on there.

So when I started up again, I decided to try to develop this old roll and very surprisingly I got decent negatives from them! I didn't take any special measures to store it, just left it in the canister and left it in ambient temperature.

Only side effect I found was slightly degraded IQ (as far as I can tell) and the negatives curled much more than normal.
You might enjoy this site...it's about film left in cameras which were sold and then developed by the new owner. The site has nothing newer than the 1960s
03-02-2009, 03:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thought for a moment, that someone had gotten confused by the DIN scale rating.