Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2009, 07:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

re-usable film cartridge maximum capacity?

google is being a dick,

what is the maximum capacity of a reusable film cartridge if you're using those 100' rolls.

03-02-2009, 07:58 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
google is being a dick,

what is the maximum capacity of a reusable film cartridge if you're using those 100' rolls.
You mean when you load film cartridges yourself from the ~30.5 m rolls of film?
I have two of those little neat machines that store the big rolls and let you load the cartridegs in full daylight, and used to keep Tri-x or T-max 400 in one and T-max 100 in the other.

I was always afraid that I would wear out the soft filt (?right english word?) on the cartridge through which the film pass, and then begin to scratch the film. So what I did was that each time I unloaded a cartridge to develop the film I took a knife and cut a mark in the plastic film cartridge. Then after the fifth film-load, I retired the cartridge. I might have been told by someone or read somewhere that five times was safe, but I don't remember. It worked for me. No scratches. May have been too conservative. But the cartridges were not expensive. It was still way less expensive than buying film the usual way. Can you still buy these cartridges? I still have my "loaders" and have seen that they still sell the 30 m rolls, and since I've started to shoot more film again, I've thought about loading them again, but I have just a handfull of cartridges left.
03-02-2009, 08:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thank you,

so how many frames can you squeeze into such a cartridge?
03-02-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
Site Supporter

thank you,

Up to 40, but at least 38. All film does not have the same thickness. I remember there were some very thin film (Ilford?) where I managed to get in ~45 frames.

This is fun, almost like an on-line chat!

Keep us posted on how it works. It is way fun that some people are going so deep into film now that they want to learn these things I learned as a teenager ages ago! (I've actually thought about takinga picture of one of my "loaders" and post it and see if anyone can guess what it is...).

03-02-2009, 08:11 AM   #5

I heard from somewhere else that Ilford make a half-thickness film that could hold 72 exposures on one roll!

But I'd think that something like 40 would be the max for most other film.
03-02-2009, 08:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
are there (slightly) oversized cartridges?
03-02-2009, 08:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote

Keep us posted on how it works. It is way fun that some people are going so deep into film now that they want to learn these things I learned as a teenager ages ago! (I've actually thought about takinga picture of one of my "loaders" and post it and see if anyone can guess what it is...).
actualy i started photography 14 years ago, my grandfather converted the sauna at his cottage into a darkroom for me, and we went through all the steps.

my first camera was a Смена - 2 , and i actualy started out with re-usable cartridges! I just forgot everything because fast-forward to 2 years ago when i got back in with digital.
03-02-2009, 08:21 AM   #8
Pentaxian

thank you,

Around 40 frames of film.

03-02-2009, 08:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

you don't want to go past the frame counter anyways, who knows what happens beyond that? at least on a mechanical frame counter
03-02-2009, 08:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
you don't want to go past the frame counter anyways, who knows what happens beyond that? at least on a mechanical frame counter
i think it just keeps going while the counter is stuck in red.
03-02-2009, 08:32 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Remember reading somewhere that Ilford made their 30.5m (100ft in the old money) reels of HP5 on a thinner base than their preloaded stuff, so you fit up to 48 frames in the cartridge.

But the answer is...as many as will fit. As alluded to above, it depends on the thickness of the film base.

I'm gonna have a crack at it too, since it means I can get Tri-X at one third of the normal price.

EDIT NOTE: I started writing this post when there were only three replies so far, so I'm sorry for repeating stuff that has been already said.
03-02-2009, 08:34 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stevopedia Quote
I heard from somewhere else that Ilford make a half-thickness film that could hold 72 exposures on one roll!

But I'd think that something like 40 would be the max for most other film.
I remember that ilford film (but that's not the one I squeezed in 45 frames with). I tried it pre-loaded. Unfortunately the film broke in two pieces when I shot below freezing! So I didn't bother any more with it. Too thin.
03-02-2009, 08:37 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
You will enter the twilight zone!
03-02-2009, 08:42 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Used to get about 44 frames of Tri-X into one. I suggest a touch less, though, because developing reels tend to start getting awkward past around 42.
03-02-2009, 08:48 AM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Used to get about 44 frames of Tri-X into one. I suggest a touch less, though, because developing reels tend to start getting awkward past around 42.
That's right. But if you develope in tanks it is not a problem.

Last edited by Douglas_of_Sweden; 03-02-2009 at 08:49 AM. Reason: bad spelling