03-05-2009, 06:50 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How do I load film into a k1000? j/k

03-05-2009, 06:58 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These could be articles - with sticky threads at the top that have pointers to the articles in them. Then there'd be no need for a sub-forum - just read the article and ask away. Also, add links to specific articles on Luminous Landscape, etc.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Definitely.

But there should be a way to have one newbie film forum with SUBCATEGORIES, except the prepackaged web authoring tools don't allow it. There should be, in newbie language, explanations of:

1) Film Stocks

2) Proper Exposure

3) Depth of Field

And that's it. Nothing about equipment, which is covered elsewhere. In fact, with the proper stickies, people will learn a lot just by reading them if they're done right, and won't even post redundant questions.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-08-2009 at 12:59 PM.
03-05-2009, 07:57 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
How do I load film into a k1000? j/k
first time i used an "old" camera, my brother and i had extreme difficulty trying to open the back on our dad's Nikon FA. even after reading the manual we were confused
03-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperAkuma Quote
I wouldn't mind having a noob film sub-forum. I also wouldn't mind having a dark room sub-forum as well because I have a bunch of questions about it.
I don't see why you can't ask your questions here. You'd still get the answers you want here and there's not much traffic going this specific forum's way.

03-05-2009, 08:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Strange, there seems to be plenty of interest in film in the other photo forums I participate in.

It's a shame you digital folks will never know the joy of making photos in a wet darkroom...

Chris
Or the agonizing pain of waiting for the roll to finish before you can develop it.

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
I don't see why you can't ask your questions here. You'd still get the answers you want here and there's not much traffic going this specific forum's way.
I do, and I will.
03-06-2009, 03:29 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Naaah just reload in the middle and develop only whatever ou have shot.
Film is cheap!

Or the agonizing pain of waiting for the roll to finish before you can develop it.

I do, and I will.
03-06-2009, 06:53 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Discussions for both of those subjects are usually unintelligent.
My point exactly. Now we are getting political sig files and political avatars. This forum is on it's way to DPReview heaven.

03-06-2009, 08:13 AM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
My point exactly. Now we are getting political sig files and political avatars. This forum is on it's way to DPReview heaven.
You turned this thread into a political/religious discussion. You post in many of the aforementioned threads. I often agree with you. It is just hard to stay out of them isn't it.

Last edited by Blue; 03-06-2009 at 09:35 AM.
03-06-2009, 10:45 AM   #24
Veteran Member

True, that. And I used to think 36 shots was few.
03-06-2009, 11:28 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I wouldn't mind having a noob film sub-forum. I also wouldn't mind having a dark room sub-forum as well because I have a bunch of questions about it.
Hey, go ahead and ask away, anyway, BTW, seems quite a few of us love talking about it.

APUG does seem to be a great place, as well as, (I think this is the name, rangefinder 35mm camera at rangefinderforums.com.

For some reason these sites come in rather slow on my old computer, so I don't go there too often, but if you're thinking of a film/developer/rating/dilution combination, someone there will have tried it, pretty much.
03-06-2009, 12:15 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Heehee. I'll say. This was never a big deal till I started using digital to save film. I've got to pick up the pace with the Sightseer, here. (I kind of lost a number of days to some migraines and the snowstorm, and recovering from the snowstorm (The trees aren't used to it down here, and I was out there batting snow load off trees and branches with a broom so they wouldn't break. Woke up the next day sore all over. But, still, my recently-cultivated film-nibbling habit is hard to break when I want to. Unless I get moving in the course of doing people work. Got a few still-lifes today, though. )
03-08-2009, 08:16 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
If one goal is to get more people interested in film photography,
is fewer subforums better? I think not.

Sadly it seems that even among the small group of film users here
film photography is just the poor stepchild at Pentaxforums,
and not worthy of another subforum.

Chris
03-08-2009, 12:43 PM   #28
Site Supporter

Maybe people would spend more time in the film forum than in political melt down threads!
03-08-2009, 01:03 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
These could be articles - with sticky threads at the top that have pointers to the articles in them. Then there'd be no need for a sub-forum - just read the article and ask away. Also, add links to specific articles on Luminous Landscape, etc.
Whether or not there is a Film sub-Forum, I still believe articles would be very helpful. Links to major film web pages would be beneficial as well - as long as they avoid camera brand biases (e.g.photo.net).

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
If one goal is to get more people interested in film photography,
is fewer subforums better? I think not.

Sadly it seems that even among the small group of film users here
film photography is just the poor stepchild at Pentaxforums,
and not worthy of another subforum.

Chris
I think my sentiment is a vote against slicing the topics too thin and making PentaxForums too complex - not against the idea of a film focus resource.

I edited my prior post and changed the imperative to conditional, in the event that a sub-forum doesn't come to pass.
03-08-2009, 01:12 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am not sure a sub forum is needed here in this section either. I came in here with an many noob questions as anyone and came out of it OK. Now I am developing ''some''of my own film.