Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Suggestion for new sub-forum

I noticed we now have a "Beginner's Corner Q&A". The posts I saw there are almost exclusively about digital photography.

I think we should also have a "Film Beginner's Corner Q&A" or something along those lines.
Does anyone agree? Why or why not?

Chris

03-04-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I think we should also have a "Film Beginner's Corner Q&A" or something along those lines.
Does anyone agree? Why or why not?
Agree. More and more traffic it seems in this forum. Everyone's got to start someplace.

woof!
03-04-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

i'll dissent, there aren't that many posts here that we need to separate it out more yet. unless you're tired of n00b questions
03-04-2009, 10:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

In my opinion, I'd like to see a "results" sub-forum.

Film only, of course...post some pics, with what film and developer...or anything special you did in the process.

Since we can change our "sensors" with every 24 shots, it might be interesting for people considering switching or trying something new to see some results.

And naturally...I know you can Google Using Pentax products, and posting on a Pentax forum, we could do two things. One, show lens rendering. You might find pics of Neopan 1600 pushed to 3200, but what does it look like with a 31Ltd? Or how about...real-world shots with a DA40 on film? Just an example.

Two, as a by-product of #1, it would bring in more traffic just like the lens review database.

It's my opinion...take it or leave it...it's free

03-05-2009, 03:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I think a Beginner's Q&A would be great, especially if it could attract more people to film. Our favourite medium is going to need all the help it can get in the next few years.
03-05-2009, 04:13 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm with K100D, the nbr of posts is not big and it will dilute the effort, just like the MF forum did
03-05-2009, 06:36 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

How about a politics & religion subforum? That way there would be off topic forums for both intelligent and unintelligent discussion.

03-05-2009, 07:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

this section is dead as it is, and it already has a MF subforum

i say no.
03-05-2009, 01:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
this section is dead as it is, and it already has a MF subforum

i say no.
I don't see a need, myself. I don't think we're overwhelmed with newbie questions, ...no need to have a separate place to go looking for them. In fact, maybe there could just be a link on the beginners Q&A board that would lead them right here for film questions.
03-05-2009, 01:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

most people joining this forum are probably like me, have a bit of experience using digital first, so it's not like they're total photo n00bs
03-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I wouldn't mind having a noob film sub-forum. I also wouldn't mind having a dark room sub-forum as well because I have a bunch of questions about it.
03-05-2009, 06:32 PM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

Definitely.

But there should be a way to have one newbie film forum with SUBCATEGORIES, except the prepackaged web authoring tools don't allow it. There should be, in newbie language, explanations of:

1) Film Stocks

2) Proper Exposure

3) Depth of Field

And that's it. Nothing about equipment, which is covered elsewhere. In fact, with the proper stickies, people will learn a lot just by reading them if they're done right, and won't even post redundant questions.
03-05-2009, 06:36 PM   #13
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
How about a politics & religion subforum? That way there would be off topic forums for both intelligent and unintelligent discussion.
Discussions for both of those subjects are usually unintelligent.
03-05-2009, 06:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperAkuma Quote
I wouldn't mind having a noob film sub-forum. I also wouldn't mind having a dark room sub-forum as well because I have a bunch of questions about it.
i think RFF and APUG are probably much better resources on those subjects
the film section is already so small, i would think the number of people who develop on their own is so tiny
03-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Strange, there seems to be plenty of interest in film in the other photo forums I participate in.

It's a shame you digital folks will never know the joy of making photos in a wet darkroom...

Chris