Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2009, 10:06 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My favorite film cameras are the ones I have purchased! I know that sounds silly, but I am usually pretty careful about market research and am generally sure before I plunk down the money. Sometimes that research points to a more desirable item that I can't afford. It is that that "old" research that has spurred a couple of my more recent purchases and has me still looking for an excellent Pentax KX.

Cameras I own and really like (by age):
  • Ricoh Singlex TLS
  • Mamiya/Sekor 1000 DTL (recently purchased...really liked them back in the day, but could only afford the Singlex)
  • Ricoh XR-2s (recently purchased...it was a tough choice between this and the Ricoh XR7 back in the day)
  • Ricoh XR7 (I still think the combination of features, performance, size, weight, and price were and are hard to beat.)
  • Olympus XA (Wanted one new...found one many years later on eBay...worth the wait...)
Cameras I lusted after:
  • Pentax Spotmatic
  • Yashica TL Electro-X
  • Pentax KX
  • Olympus OM1
  • Nikon FM2
  • Nikon FE2
  • Pentax LX
Gosh...I would still love to get a good FM2 or FE2 except that I would then have to spring for the lenses! (...Can only afford LBA for one system...)

Steve

(Sorry for the lack of Pentax bodies after the early 80s...I lost interest in Pentax with the P-series...)

03-05-2009, 10:42 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I'm still getting used to my KX but I'm pretty sure it's going to replace my K1000 as my favourite film camera. I'm still trying to decide if I want to try to get the microprism screen replaced with a K1000 style split prism with microprism collar, that's about the only feature I miss from the K1000.

I'm going to be keeping my eyes open at Toronto's next used camera show, last year I saw a clean looking MZ-S with winder go for ~$200 and that or an LX with waist level finder are combinations I would still like to try.
03-06-2009, 01:51 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Olympus OM-1 (this is my favourite, sorry Pentax! Everything just seems right on this camera. If I had this exact camera with a full-frame CCD I would never need anything else again)
Olympus Trip 35
Pentax ME (unfortunately this seems to meter wrong)
Nikon F-401s (I don't have any Nikon lenses or anything, I only have this camera because I found it for such an exceedingly cheap price that I couldn't leave it)

Here is the family -- that Nikon is such a monstrosity!

Last edited by Erik; 03-06-2009 at 02:00 AM.
03-06-2009, 02:48 AM   #19
Banned

Pentax:
Spotmatic SPII
K1000
ME Super

Other SLR:
Nikon F
Nikon Photomic FTn
Nikkormat FTn
Nikkormat FT2
Nikon F3HP
Nikon FM
Nikon FE
Nikon FM2n
Nikon F-4
Canon New F-1
Canon EF
Canon AE-1
Canon A-1
Minolta XD-11
Minolta SRT 201
Olympus M-1
Olympus OM-1
Olympus OM-2
Olympus OM2n
Yashica TL Electro X

RF:
Yashica Electro 35 GSN
Yashica MG-1
Ricoh 500 GX

03-06-2009, 02:55 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This list is in no particular order

LX,ME Super,pentax 645 IIN, Hasselblad V series,Pentax 67 II,Konica Hexar RF,Leica M3, Ebony SV810UE....those are a few of my favorite things
03-06-2009, 03:55 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
ever since i found out about folders (and OMs), i've wanted one. do you know where to get a clean one?
Folders? Jurgen Kreckel (certo6) is the current King of Restorations, and the more desirable models from him go for fairly big bucks. My Bessa I was fixed up by Mr Kreckel for the guy I bought it from, and indeed it looks and feels like near-new, despite being 55 years old.
Vintage Folding Cameras

OM? The Eric of Olympus is John Hermanson at Camtech, though the feel (and wait time) is very different than with Eric. The zuiko.com website has a lot of excellent info on all things Olympus:
index
03-06-2009, 04:12 AM   #22
Veteran Member

The only two 35mm film cameras I have ever owned are the Pentax K2 and MX. Dependng on the day and mood either one is the favourite.

Tom G

03-06-2009, 05:24 AM   #23
Pentaxian

#1 LX
#2 K2

However....when my mom was looking for a camera years ago, I recommended that she get an Olympus OM-1. I've never used it very extensively, but everytime she's handed it to me so I can take a picture of her and my stepdad, I'm always impressed by the smoothness of the shutter. I'd love to try one for a year or so.
03-06-2009, 07:16 AM   #24
Veteran Member

love the one you're with

My Chinon CP-7m and Yashica MAT 124G are loaded up with film, and they are my favorite cameras. But that's this week. Whatever is in in my hands or around my neck is, like, my absolute favoritest camera ever.

To try to do justice to the question, I think I've spent more time with a K1000 of late than with anything else.
03-06-2009, 08:21 AM   #25
Veteran Member

For years my favourite camera was my Nikon 35Ti Nikon 35Ti & Nikon 28Ti Quartz Date (QD) compact cameras. For ease of use and sheer aesthetic appeal, the analog display has not been bettered by any other system that I've seen. I still keep it around as a second camera, mainly loaded with Provia, but I have come back to using SLRs.

My favorite shooter is the ME Super. I bought mine new in 1984. I'm one of the few who loves the buttons. But easily the most glamorous, nostalgic, and pretty camera, and the one that makes me feel most like an old-school photographer, is the LX. It was always my dream camera. I confess I'm always a little surprised when people nominate later Pentaxes as the 'best Pentax film SLR'. Doesn't build quality count for anything?

Nesster et al's vintage photo adverts on flickr are like a map of my photographic heart. Those old Nat Geo ads in particular are what got me started. The Olympus ads are especially alluring.
03-06-2009, 05:40 PM   #26
mer

One of my favourite cameras is the Yashica T4* with the beautiful carl zeiss 35mm
03-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #27
graphicgr8s

My fav is still the K1000. Had it since it was new. (Old version, not chinese)
03-06-2009, 06:47 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I haven't had the pleasure of owning a lot of different film cameras, so from the few I have, I'd go with the KX and LX.

If I had the money, though, I'd certainly be willing to try out most of the other cameras mentioned here in this thread.
03-06-2009, 07:02 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Had to pop another anti-envy pill, some of you guys have cams I've been lusting
after.

35mm SLR

1. Nikon F
2. Konica T4 (love Hexanon glass)
3. Ricoh XR-10M
Haven't shot with my Pentax SP or a Contax 137MA yet.

35mm rangefinders:

1. Olympus XA
2. Yashica Electro 35 GT

6x9 rangefinder:

1937 Voigtlander Bessa RF

Medium Format TLR

Ricohflex Dia L
Thinking about getting a Mamiya C3, C33 or Fuji GS645 folder

I have several point and shoot 35mm, the big surprise is the Ricoh FF-90, what a
lens!

Bill
03-06-2009, 07:27 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Folders? Jurgen Kreckel (certo6) is the current King of Restorations, and the more desirable models from him go for fairly big bucks. My Bessa I was fixed up by Mr Kreckel for the guy I bought it from, and indeed it looks and feels like near-new, despite being 55 years old.
Vintage Folding Cameras

OM? The Eric of Olympus is John Hermanson at Camtech, though the feel (and wait time) is very different than with Eric. The zuiko.com website has a lot of excellent info on all things Olympus:
index
sweet site on the folders. maybe i'll pick one up when i find one i like. big MF is fun