Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2009, 09:58 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Exactly what I've been doing w/ those manual cameras Just look at the rewind crank when forwarding film. If it turns, it's winding Don't really bother looking at the little window on the back ...
I have a P3n body that has a rewind crank that does not turn when I forward the film. I've shot some rolls with this body and the film is actually winding. There's not rewind window either. I also have a P30t body, which is very similar, and its rewind crank does turn when I forward.

Also I believe a trained ear can hear the film winding, and that's what I've done with the P3n body that shows no visible signs of film forwarding.

03-08-2009, 10:04 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some cameras have a little catch in the rewind knob that means it only turns with the film when you actually unfold the lever, my F-1N is like this. I just fold the crank back after I know the film is moving all properly. Since I usually take up any slack in the cartridge just before, it doesn't put me out.
03-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The same thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago with my ME SUPER ... The worst part about it was that it was perhaps the best pictures I had ever taken (in my mind) and now they where gone. Really, I laughed about it because I was so mad.
03-16-2009, 08:00 AM   #19

I just got myself an ME Super in what seams to be great condition. I've loaded a Tri-X in it. And that little window flikkers. I guess it means I've done it right. But the rewind knob makes me nervous. It does turn when I advance the wind lever, and I guess it's supposed to do that.

But does this mean that if I accidently turn this knob, let's say when I reach for the camera in my bag, I might end up with half a picture exposed twice? Thus I'll ruin a picture?

03-22-2009, 05:47 AM   #20

Nope!

If you look at the bottom of the camera, there will be a little button on the botton on the right hand side. THis is the rewind button. The only way that the film will go back into its canister when you're finished is if you push in/hold in the button while you rewind.

Which means, of course, that when you want to rewind, you have to push the button in

Oh, and 'rewinding' the film when you haven't pressed the button in only takes up the slack in the film.
03-22-2009, 06:49 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I have another newbie question about film loading. I've only loaded one roll so far, and I wasn't sure when it's loaded far enough so you can start taking pictures. So please correct me if I'm wrong:

Insert roll into the camera and the leader inbetween the white needles.
Make sure it catches when you turn the rapid wind-lever (I'm not too sure about the english terminology here, but I mean the thing you turn when you want to load a fresh piece of film for a new photo).
Close the back and turn the rapid wind-lever 2 (or more?) times so you have an unexposed piece of film ready for the first photo.

Is that 'the' correct way?

Last edited by kevinschoenmakers; 03-22-2009 at 12:01 PM. Reason: embarrassing spelling error
03-22-2009, 11:27 AM   #22
Veteran Member

That is correct. Take a look at the numbering sequence on the exposure counter and you'll see there is usually an "S" (start), then a couple of "below zero" points you need to wind past. The exposure counter takes care of this for you automatically if you just use it.