Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43141 Likes Search this Thread
10-09-2009, 08:16 AM   #1501
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mer, that's a wonderfully emotive photo, her expression is so infectious, and oh! youth! ...
Kevin, very nice geometry, I like the grain ... hope you get that Rollei sooner or later, I don't have one, but that's a camera I covet... just holding one feels good

Portra 160NC, P645, SMC-A 75/2.8, AF280T in TTL mode:

10-09-2009, 08:39 AM   #1502

QuoteQuote:
Easytiger, nice temple shot (you guys are gonna make me sit on my dad for that Rollei to do some medium format stuff). I'll second Nesster's comment; You got that out of a Holga - I may have to rethink the whole Holga thing. I haven't done a lot with the tripod or longer exposures but judging from your pic, it may be time to start.
Thanks for the compliments, KJon and Nesster. Most of the shots were breathtakingly poor, but when you get a good one it makes it all worth it! Especially at only 30 bucks or so for the whole camera. Mine's pretty heavily modified now, and having just bought a 52mm step up ring I'll take it out again tomorrow. Then we'll see how round two turns out.

Here's frame number 4, at approximately f/8 and 15 seconds:

10-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #1503
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Canon ae-1 with fuji extra 400 on a 28mm lens.
10-09-2009, 11:26 AM   #1504
mer

Pentax ME Super , Porst 55mm F/1.2 ( wide open ) , cheap ISO100 negative film

Last edited by mer; 10-11-2009 at 04:24 PM.
10-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #1505
Site Supporter

ME Super, Contax Planar 85/1.4 MMJ, Fuji Pro160s

I haven't a film scanner, so I "scanned" negatives with a K20D and extension tubes. Then a photoshop action to invert and fix the colors and reduce grain

10-11-2009, 06:38 PM   #1506
Veteran Member

kkado, thanks for sharing. I'm jealous about that fast 85mm your using with your ME Super. I'm really fond of that camera and don't have a decent lens in that focal length and wish that I did daily. BTW, why would you want to reduce grain? That's half the point of film .

Egil and I exchanged a few posts about this very subject (photographing negatives to digitize them) a few pages back. I'm interested in the process because my scanner isn't the best and I'm always looking for a better way to do things. What follows is a quote from his post along with a few links to pictures of his setup.

QuoteOriginally posted by Egl Quote
Alright, good luck! I will explain better how I did this then. I took a few photos of the setup. Its very very crude but it works. (I just post the links to the photos to not pollute this fine thread too much).

http://folk.ntnu.no/eigilh/bilder/bergen/pf/IMGP4926.jpg
http://folk.ntnu.no/eigilh/bilder/bergen/pf/IMGP4927.jpg
http://folk.ntnu.no/eigilh/bilder/bergen/pf/IMGP4928.jpg

Photographing the negatives directly against a lamp wont work. The light bulb is not an even light. So thats why I use the cardboard box as some kind of diffusor. Then I have no direct light and only bounced light. Also I lined the box with some printing paper. So I just put the negative over the hole in the box and take a photo down there.

A 60 watt tungsten bulb is no good. That get too warm for the negatives so they curl up from the heat. Im glad they got stright again after cooling down. So some modern kind of fluorocent bulb is probably much better.

Then of course the digitized photos must be processed digitally. For BW it seems ok to simply invert it and desaturate. And in the end ajdust contrasts/tones. It might be more complex with colour negatives, but I suppose it works with the right software.

I did see someone else do something similar but I could not find a link to what I read. Its a while since I read it. This guy used a K100D and a 100 mm macro lens I believe. And a bit more proper setup really. I wish I could find the link to that again but no luck. Perhaps someone can help?
I haven't had a chance to rig up something similar, but I should have some time this month and I think I'm going to give it a shot.

Best,
Kevin
10-11-2009, 06:48 PM   #1507
Veteran Member

With apologies to Nesster...,

Enjoyed your B&W of Susquahanna's <sp?> ice rink that you shot w/ your 28mm Tak. Coincidentally, the school I teach at is really up against it in terms of available space, so we're borrowing classrooms from Trinity College Hartford. Guess where they are located? Upstairs in the building that houses the ice rink and the hockey team <g>.

ME Super, M50 1.7, Ultramax 800...

Wish I had the wide angle with...

Best,
Kevin

10-11-2009, 07:24 PM   #1508
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
kkado, thanks for sharing. I'm jealous about that fast 85mm your using with your ME Super. I'm really fond of that camera and don't have a decent lens in that focal length and wish that I did daily. BTW, why would you want to reduce grain? That's half the point of film .

Egil and I exchanged a few posts about this very subject (photographing negatives to digitize them) a few pages back. I'm interested in the process because my scanner isn't the best and I'm always looking for a better way to do things. What follows is a quote from his post along with a few links to pictures of his setup.

I haven't had a chance to rig up something similar, but I should have some time this month and I think I'm going to give it a shot.

Best,
Kevin
I'm currently working on perfecting my setup, right now it's pretty crude. I'm not even using real extension tubes (for lack of a dedicated macro lens), but a piece of rolled up cardboard

The noise reduction is not so much to remove the grain, but rather to smooth out the noise created during digitizing and converting the negative in post processing. Apparently a tungsten light source isn't ideal for digitizing (high noise in the blue and green channels, while the red stays clean). I've come up with a set of photoshop actions that do as good a job as negative to positive software (that you have to pay for), I could probably post a tutorial if anyone is interested

Digital tends to have some issues getting detail out of the shadow areas in negatives, so the noise reduction helps keep things relatively clean.
10-11-2009, 08:34 PM   #1509
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow, how this thread has grown with quality!
A street performer. Took this a few weeks back with my Pentax Spotmatic SP2, Super Tak 28mm f/3.5 and Tri-x 400

10-12-2009, 01:20 AM   #1510
Inactive Account

Pentax LX + Voigtlander Nokton 58/1.4 SLII + DNP Centuria 200

10-12-2009, 06:09 AM   #1511
Veteran Member

@Kevin - excellent shots, large spaces have an atmosphere all their own...

Kkado, that's some beautiful work you're doing, I love seeing what you do.

--

Here's a march back in time - probably belongs more on the stranger street style, but there's not one bit of Asahi Pentax being used, no, not even a strap...

Nikon FE, Nikkor 35/2, Kodak 400TX, 1980s equipment

Kodak Retina IIc, Ilford XP5, late 1950s equipment

Ricoh Diacord TLR, Kodak 125px, early 1950s equipment

Voigtlander Bessa 6x9, Anastigmat Skopar (uncoated), Ilford Delta 100, 1930's equipment
10-12-2009, 12:15 PM   #1512
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A few more Tri-x 400, Spotmatic sp2, Super Tak 35f/3.5

10-13-2009, 06:39 AM   #1513
mer

Nesster : The photo captured with the Ricoh Diacord TLR looks awfully like England, where is it ?

This is one is shot with the Pentax ME Super , Porst 55/1.2 wide open and cheap negative film

10-13-2009, 07:34 AM   #1514
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mer Quote
Nesster : The photo captured with the Ricoh Diacord TLR looks awfully like England, where is it ?
It's in Baltimore, Maryland, older part of town.

I really like the blue hair series... I wonder if she'll have blue hair when she's an old lady
10-13-2009, 09:23 AM   #1515
Veteran Member

Original Poster

me super. 24mm sigma f/2.8, tri x 400