Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43124 Likes Search this Thread
10-14-2009, 09:00 PM   #1531
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Frank, Shouldn't this one have a NWS warning?

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Always wanted to try some black and white film again, but hadn't got chance until last Friday. I took my LX and M35/2.8 to the street, shot two rolls of cheap China made b&w film, sent to a shop to develop and scan. Got the results out one day after. Here are some of them, all just resized, no other process down, not even sharpening.

. . .

There are a lot more, but all the rest are probably not as interesting as these.

You can see that I like to take street people photos, I do think b&w film is probably a better way to take photos of those street peoples w/ dark skins (Indians, Malays and etc...)
Just kidding.

10-14-2009, 10:07 PM   #1532
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
You have some very impressive shots here!
Hi Douglas,

Thanks a lot for all the comments, really appreciate them

Fine portrait, placing him in his work environment, fince composition and I like the BW contrast and fine details in both ends of the greyscale. Nice eye-contact.
I really like this one too One of my favorites from the day.

nterresting work sitiation with surroundings. The girl the the background makes the pic more interresting. She looks at you, but the other two are deep into the henna-paingting (?).
Yeah, I didn't notice the girl in the back until I saw the final scan result Actually I was trying to focus on the two ladies in the front, but I noticed the focusing was a bit off (to the back), so I took the following one right away:

Probably not as interesting as the first one?

Very nice eye-contact. She could be worth shooting more. I would maybe crop a little to get a more tight composition. Despite a caotic background you have isolated her well.
I kinda like this one too. You can see there was a table (on which she put all the goods for sale) between her and me, I couldn't get any closer w/ a 35mm lens. If only I had a 50mm lens on, I might get an even better shot on her. She is very pretty I must say

Classical portrait well composed. Could have been a little sharper?
Yeah, should apply a bit USM or Smart Sharpening on this one. What I did was batch processing: resize and sign on all the photos.

You are good at capturing the work-situation, here a teacher and her children, where she have their full attention. Again, well composed. Considering that the background is sharp, it would have been better to have her in focus and the background OOF.
Actually I tried to focus on the teacher first, but failed due to the low light (inside a Temple) and she was moving all the time. Besides, those kids pointed at me and tell her that I was shooting at them ... I felt kinda shy so I took another quick snap then moved away

Fun picture. What is the guy in the background doing?
I didn't even notice he was there until I saw the final result These cute little girls were posting for their mom (mostly she was, but not really sure), I just took a quick snap when I passed by.

Nice how you captured his head so sharp despite the long exposure time. Perhaps some cropping right and left? Square format?
It's pretty dark inside the Temple, even at wide open F2.8, I could only manage to get speed like 1/8 or 1/4. Luckily that man moved very slowly, and I snapped shot when his body was still I agree w/ you on the cropping part, might enhance the photo quite a bit.

The way only the lady in the middle is perfectly sharp and the others a bit OOF make her stand out (also she is a bit pale) so that her face and here praying is the focus of the picture. Nice thinking!
This was another favorite from that day. Her pale face almost scared me away, and they were all so sincere, I didn't want to disturb their prayer. But sometimes this kind of photos I just have to take.

Again, thanks a lot for the detailed comments, I definitely learned something here
10-14-2009, 10:19 PM   #1533
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote

Frank, you look as good in B&W as you do in color. Always a treat to see your pics.
Thanks Kevin Glad you like them. My first experience w/ b&w was very positive, I think I'd shoot b&w more often in the future.

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Frank, Shouldn't this one have a NWS warning?

Just kidding.
Hehe, she stands there on the street everyday, I guess she doesn't mind people looking at her at all

Sometimes I do feel those Indian statues are quite bold, we can see those lady statues bare naked everywhere when we walk around Little India area
10-15-2009, 12:57 AM   #1534
Veteran Member

I also took a couple rolls of Fuji Reala 100 during last week's break, one roll w/ MZ-S and FA31/A15, the other roll w/ LX and K50/1.2.

Here are a few from those Realas ...

MZ-S + FA31:

MZ-S+A15/3.5 (cropped the top off):

10-15-2009, 12:58 AM   #1535
Veteran Member

Here are some from the LX+K50/1.2 on Reala:

10-15-2009, 01:28 AM   #1536
Inactive Account

Dadiluna, I'm still trying to pick my jaw up off the floor;great street shooting here and on the other page. Javier's only half right - harbor scene is a killer, but I'm not going to give up. I'm going to keep shooting 'til I get one like that .
Thanks Kevin! I plan on doing a lot of street with these two great lenses. And I can't wait to do some long exposures at sunsets.

Edit:
Frank: WOW! What size are those scans? That Reala has some punch to it!
10-15-2009, 01:32 AM   #1537

Donkey with Hat

(MZ-7, FA 50mm f/1.4, Tri-X 400)

10-15-2009, 02:09 AM   #1538
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaddyLuna Quote
Thanks Kevin! I plan on doing a lot of street with these two great lenses. And I can't wait to do some long exposures at sunsets.

Edit:
Frank: WOW! What size are those scans? That Reala has some punch to it!
Thanks

This time I sent the film to another shop which my friend recommended. They give 3000x2000 high resolution scan results, far better than the shop I usually go
10-16-2009, 08:11 AM   #1539
Veteran Member

I wanted to finish the roll of T-Max 400 in the Nikon FE, and realized I have 4 wide angles... so I figured, why not some 'testing'

The T-max film is frustrating for me - it really curls and bows, and seems like a dust magnet, and I can't seem to get the dust off it. And I got water stains. I suppose something went wrong when I developed/washed the stuff.

Nikkor Ai 35/2

Nikkor-N 24/2.8

Vivitar TX 28/2.5

Vivitar T4 21/3.5

This shows up something lacking in many Pentax lenses (sorry!) - close focus ability. The two Nikkors are exemplary.
10-16-2009, 03:20 PM   #1540
Inactive Account

What Pentax lens did you use?
10-16-2009, 11:37 PM   #1541
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster

Javier, nice to see you shooting your ME Super again and with Tri-X. Lithos is right - you are all over Tri-X. (Took a look at your blog...keep up the good work). I can see you've been busy. I've been missing you around here, though, even if you're shooting that Canon AE .

Kevin
Thanks Kevin, I appreciate the kind words and encouragement..I am really enjoying the blogging. I should have started one a long time ago. I try and update it daily, so please keep checking back.
10-16-2009, 11:46 PM   #1542
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Fuji 400 xtra

10-17-2009, 01:30 AM   #1543
Veteran Member

Pentax KX + SMC PENTAX 50mm f/4 macro + Fujicolor 200
----
10-17-2009, 01:32 AM   #1544
Veteran Member