Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2018, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #16471
Veteran Member

I've been scanning my grandfather's archive. It's a bit challenging as the film is old and curvy, and I suspect it wasn't of very good quality. It seems like the dynamic range is fairly narrow. I came across these black spots on some photos. These spots look absolutely black, like clipping. Any ideas what's going on? Could it be the scanning process? I was using the multiexposure mode. I thought it might help with some dark negatives. Could it accentuate this problem? I found multiexposure mode really brings out grain in Portra... Here is an example. It seems like my grandfather was bracketing, as there are often consecutive shots with different exposure. That allows for some HDR Note the black spots in the right corner. They were significantly worse in the "dark" image.

Attached Images

02-08-2018, 09:02 AM   #16472
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
I've been scanning my grandfather's archive. It's a bit challenging as the film is old and curvy, and I suspect it wasn't of very good quality. It seems like the dynamic range is fairly narrow. I came across these black spots on some photos. These spots look absolutely black, like clipping. Any ideas what's going on? Could it be the scanning process? I was using the multiexposure mode. I thought it might help with some dark negatives. Could it accentuate this problem? I found multiexposure mode really brings out grain in Portra... Here is an example. It seems like my grandfather was bracketing, as there are often consecutive shots with different exposure. That allows for some HDR Note the black spots in the right corner. They were significantly worse in the "dark" image.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "black spots". There appears to be some grain clumping going on in the upper left, maybe due to reticulation or age? Lower corners I'm seeing blocked shadows, and lower right blocked shadows encapsulating blurry grey patches that could be the result of physical damage to neg and/or some overzealous PP.
02-08-2018, 09:34 AM   #16473
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jellygeist, since you're thinking about getting an LX, I feel it is necessary that I point out a pervasive problem this camera has -- the infamous "sticky mirror" syndrome. Eric charges over $300 to cure this, along with a CLA. Mine didn't have a sticky mirror, but the mirror pads were gone, the result being it didn't focus accurately because the mirror wasn't sitting exactly where it should. I was able to get the repair I needed done for substantially less than Eric charges at a local pro camera repair facility. But then mine wasn't exhibiting the sticky mirror syndrome either.
02-08-2018, 09:47 AM   #16474
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "black spots". There appears to be some grain clumping going on in the upper left, maybe due to reticulation or age? Lower corners I'm seeing blocked shadows, and lower right blocked shadows encapsulating blurry grey patches that could be the result of physical damage to neg and/or some overzealous PP.
It's the lower right I am interested in. There was some PP - I merged two bracketed shots (not perfectly, I was just playing with it). The original dark exposure had much more in terms of blocked shadows. I don't see physical damage on the negative in terms of something smeared, and these black spots appear in the shadows only. I've never seen it in my experience shooting B&W film, hence my interest to find out what's going on.

02-08-2018, 10:00 AM   #16475
Pentaxian

It's the lower right I am interested in. There was some PP - I merged two bracketed shots (not perfectly, I was just playing with it). The original dark exposure had much more in terms of blocked shadows. I don't see physical damage on the negative in terms of something smeared, and these black spots appear in the shadows only. I've never seen it in my experience shooting B&W film, hence my interest to find out what's going on.
Yeah, I dunno. Chemical decomposition due to uneven fixing/washing?

An oval crop could work quite well for the image, considering location of problem areas.
02-08-2018, 10:14 AM   #16476
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Jellygeist, since you're thinking about getting an LX, I feel it is necessary that I point out a pervasive problem this camera has -- the infamous "sticky mirror" syndrome. Eric charges over $300 to cure this, along with a CLA. Mine didn't have a sticky mirror, but the mirror pads were gone, the result being it didn't focus accurately because the mirror wasn't sitting exactly where it should. I was able to get the repair I needed done for substantially less than Eric charges at a local pro camera repair facility. But then mine wasn't exhibiting the sticky mirror syndrome either.
Oh yes, I'm quite aware of the sticky mirror. Been investigating solutions and so forth, and also asking sellers about it. I have three options now: Save up for the LX, get my KM repaired, or move on to another system like the Nikon FM2. The third option means giving up my lovely Pentax lenses so I consider that the last resort.

Thanks for the advice, everybody!
02-08-2018, 12:39 PM   #16477
Pentaxian

I've been scanning my grandfather's archive. ... I came across these black spots on some photos. These spots look absolutely black, like clipping.
Are those black spots on the positive clear spots on the negative? If so, perhaps that could also indicate the film's emulsion came in contact with another surface of the film in the loop during developing.

02-08-2018, 01:23 PM   #16478
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Are those black spots on the positive clear spots on the negative? If so, perhaps that could also indicate the film's emulsion came in contact with another surface of the film in the loop during developing.
No, they appear matte black, I think, but I will check when I get home. They were in the middle and the end of the roll, so I didn't see them initially when I was looking at the negatives. I was looking for that specific roll, so I was excited to start scanning.

I have to say, I think my grandfather was a messy developer. There are often spots on film, which I guess are there because of improper rinsing... I wonder if that could have caused those black spots...
02-08-2018, 01:47 PM   #16479
Pentaxian

I have to say, I think my grandfather was a messy developer. There are often spots on film, which I guess are there because of improper rinsing... I wonder if that could have caused those black spots...
Working with near exhausted fixer and short wash times because you're in a hurry can lead to spotting of the negatives years later. I've seen that in my older film. When you're developing lots of film it's easy to not be as consistent as you need to be.
02-08-2018, 02:13 PM   #16480
Pentaxian

No, they appear matte black, I think, but I will check when I get home. They were in the middle and the end of the roll, so I didn't see them initially when I was looking at the negatives. I was looking for that specific roll, so I was excited to start scanning.

Whelp, it is what it is... quite an interesting shot regardless. Appears to be overlooking a river delta. Where is it?
02-08-2018, 02:25 PM   #16481
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Working with near exhausted fixer and short wash times because you're in a hurry can lead to spotting of the negatives years later. I've seen that in my older film. When you're developing lots of film it's easy to not be as consistent as you need to be.
I guess that's it then... Thanks for solving the mystery!

---------- Post added 02-08-18 at 02:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Whelp, it is what it is... quite an interesting shot regardless. Appears to be overlooking a river delta. Where is it?
I suspect it was taken somewhere here: Google Maps

Definitely somewhere near that town.
02-08-2018, 04:35 PM   #16482
Pentaxian

I suspect it was taken somewhere here: Google Maps
Oh cool! I was gonna guess the Laurentians.

I assume it was a Ruski camera & film, or was he there on holiday?
02-08-2018, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #16483
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jellygeist Quote
Oh yes, I'm quite aware of the sticky mirror. Been investigating solutions and so forth, and also asking sellers about it. I have three options now: Save up for the LX, get my KM repaired, or move on to another system like the Nikon FM2. The third option means giving up my lovely Pentax lenses so I consider that the last resort.
You know, there's a fourth option, which is the one I typically choose, these days. Namely, keep the Pentax gear and just add the Nikon system to your menagerie. Problem solved, plus you've got more toys to play with.
02-08-2018, 10:52 PM   #16484
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
You know, there's a fourth option, which is the one I typically choose, these days. Namely, keep the Pentax gear and just add the Nikon system to your menagerie. Problem solved, plus you've got more toys to play with.
Haha, my heart of hearts would love the 4th option. However, I have to be pretty efficient these days. Until I'm done teacher training and have that nice juicy contract in my hands, I'm going to be pretty short on cash. Maintaining two different systems just isn't feasible. Eventually I'm going to make this photography thing SORT OF pay for itself.

And before anybody points out that getting an LX is pretty spendy for a poor student...ever heard of tuition tax credits? I figure I can get away with diverting some of that.

Anyways, sorry to derail the thread. I like a lot of the work here. Interesting to see old photos resurface.
02-09-2018, 03:09 AM   #16485
Pentaxian