Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43113 Likes Search this Thread
04-11-2018, 09:42 AM   #16666
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jellygeist Quote
Thank you! I see a lot of good work in this thread and felt like I had to step it up!
A common reaction, I can assure you

Steve

04-11-2018, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #16667
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
I like your photos too. Unfortunately they are clocking in @ 2-3MB per which, when you pile on 4-5 in a single post, is staggering my bandwidth and choking my tablet, so I have to put the "ignore user" on to get reasonable forum page download times.

You are aware that the forum auto-scales image display dimensions: e.g. 3,089px × 2,048px (orig flickr image), scaled to 1,314px × 871px, with my custom settings (default settings are considerably less)?
Is anybody else having this issue?
It is not an issue for me, but I did a quick look-see and your files are pretty large. The fire escape photo on the last post comes in at just under 4.5Mb. My suggestion is to link to something of more moderate dimensions, both out of kindness and to conform to forum guidelines.* Flickr makes that easy. I generally post 1200 pixels maximum for horizontal and 800 or 1000 pixels maximum for vertical crops.

As for the forum auto-scaling, it depends on both settings and what skin is chosen. The default "Modern" skins auto-scale to fairly small dimensions using the browser JPEG engine. The results are usually somewhat sub-par when compared to an image scaled by Flickr or your favorite editor. Unless modified by user settings, the "Classic" skins show images at full resolution such that horizontal scrolling is needed to see the full composition on most tablets and laptops.

Best to scale down.

Steve

* The maximum dimensions are posted somewhere and are on the order of 1200 pixels on the long axis.
04-11-2018, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #16668
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Bought and paid for! Can't wait to sit down with it.

Say, you've sure been doing a lot of range-finding of late.
Thank you so much Kevin.
I've been really into classic rangefinder cameras lately. I wanted to use my Zorki 4 as a main camera this year, but have been frustrated by light leaks. Then I fell for this Canon 7, then the Kiev-2a kinda fell into my lap.
04-11-2018, 10:29 AM   #16669
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Thank you so much Kevin.
I've been really into classic rangefinder cameras lately. I wanted to use my Zorki 4 as a main camera this year, but have been frustrated by light leaks. Then I fell for this Canon 7, then the Kiev-2a kinda fell into my lap.
We're following similar paths. I have that new 67ii that I'm "sipping" rolls with, but I've been obsessed with tiny RFs as well. Mostly because how astounded I was by the Konica C35 EF I got from my grandad - now I'm looking at another of those. The tiny little Hexanon on those things are beyond surprising. (I also loaded my Kiev the same day you posted the shot of your new-to-you 2a. )

---------- Post added 04-11-18 at 10:31 AM ----------

This may all change though as I just scored an H3v for 30 bucks!

04-11-2018, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #16670
Veteran Member

We're following similar paths. I have that new 67ii that I'm "sipping" rolls with, but I've been obsessed with tiny RFs as well. Mostly because how astounded I was by the Konica C35 EF I got from my grandad - now I'm looking at another of those. The tiny little Hexanon on those things are beyond surprising. (I also loaded my Kiev the same day you posted the shot of your new-to-you 2a. )

---------- Post added 04-11-18 at 10:31 AM ----------

This may all change though as I just scored an H3v for 30 bucks!
That reminds me... I need to shoot the Olympus 35RC I have, and I need to send my SV off to Eric... so many cameras, so little time.
Congrats on the H3v.
04-11-2018, 11:09 AM   #16671
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is not an issue for me, but I did a quick look-see and your files are pretty large. The fire escape photo on the last post comes in at just under 4.5Mb. My suggestion is to link to something of more moderate dimensions, both out of kindness and to conform to forum guidelines.* Flickr makes that easy. I generally post 1200 pixels maximum for horizontal and 800 or 1000 pixels maximum for vertical crops.

As for the forum auto-scaling, it depends on both settings and what skin is chosen. The default "Modern" skins auto-scale to fairly small dimensions using the browser JPEG engine. The results are usually somewhat sub-par when compared to an image scaled by Flickr or your favorite editor. Unless modified by user settings, the "Classic" skins show images at full resolution such that horizontal scrolling is needed to see the full composition on most tablets and laptops.

Best to scale down.

Steve

* The maximum dimensions are posted somewhere and are on the order of 1200 pixels on the long axis.
Okay, I'll keep that in mind for next time. Thanks!
04-11-2018, 11:18 AM   #16672
Veteran Member

Okay, I'll keep that in mind for next time. Thanks!
Flickr indeed makes it easy. And each time you go back it defaults to the last BBCode size you selected. I just leave it at 1024 across and leave it at that. If folks want a closer look, the image itself is a link back to Flickr. Win win.

04-11-2018, 11:23 AM - 2 Likes   #16673
Veteran Member

Flickr indeed makes it easy. And each time you go back it defaults to the last BBCode size you selected. I just leave it at 1024 across and leave it at that. If folks want a closer look, the image itself is a link back to Flickr. Win win.
I never noticed that drop down menu before, actually. I shall now use it. Thanks for all the help, everyone. Here's a test:

04-11-2018, 11:41 AM   #16674
Veteran Member

I never noticed that drop down menu before, actually. I shall now use it. Thanks for all the help, everyone. Here's a test:

Yup. There's no reason to notice it until you need it.
Looks great.
04-11-2018, 11:42 AM   #16675
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Much better...415 Kb

Steve
04-11-2018, 11:52 AM   #16676
Veteran Member

Yup. There's no reason to notice it until you need it.
Looks great.
Thanks! I hope y'all like shopping carts, they've kind of been my muse as of late.

Anyways, my hijack of the thread is over. Let's see those shots!
04-11-2018, 11:56 AM - 3 Likes   #16677
Veteran Member

Portra vs Ektar

I got some rolls back and I thought the difference between Portra 160 and Ektar 100 was interesting--both are outdoor, Portra is morning and the Ektar is afternoon. The color difference is pretty striking.

Portra 160:

Ektar 100:

04-11-2018, 12:20 PM - 4 Likes   #16678
Veteran Member

Thanks! I hope y'all like shopping carts, they've kind of been my muse as of late.

Anyways, my hijack of the thread is over. Let's see those shots!

Ricoh GR1s | Fujifilm Superia 400
04-11-2018, 12:58 PM   #16679
Veteran Member

Ricoh GR1s | Fujifilm Superia 400

They really are fascinating creatures. They're a big part of a probably-too-ambitious project I'm working on.
04-11-2018, 01:04 PM - 5 Likes   #16680
Veteran Member

I want to play this game too

Voigtlander Bessa R
Industar 61 L/D 53/2.8
expired Kodak Porta 160VC @100
Nikon Coolscan V ED