Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2018, 06:09 AM   #17731
Pentaxian

Hp5

09-01-2018, 09:15 AM   #17732
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
These are excellent and certainly speak of winter. Inspiring, I have some Ilford Delta 400 on the go now.
I'll be interested to know what you think of it; I wasn't that happy about the Delta 400 in its first iteration. It had IMHO an unpleasant grain structure ... The Delta 100 was wonderful. I have some 35mm Agfa APX 100 coming - and some Ilford FP4 in 6x7. Right now I'm mostly using Ilford XP-2 Super for analog photography, as my darkroom isn't up yet.
09-01-2018, 09:18 AM   #17733
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Colton! Wow, a lot of posts after you answered mine!

Anyway, I can appreciate your feelings of satisfaction and fulfillment from your career in timber framing. I build custom guitars, so I've also had to work around a mortise and tenon or two, although I prefer alternate methods now, when I can find them and when they're equal to or superior to a m-t joint. Whew, I though I had a lot of hand tools. You've got me beat, except maybe for clamps. Or did you just not include your clamps? Guitar builders can never have enough clamps, I believe.

You being into precise joinery and all, I bet you would have enjoyed guitar building, and I bet you'd have been good at it.

I envy your assortment of chisels, although truth be told, I use mainly only three or four smaller ones most of the time. 1mm, 1/8", 1/4", and 1/2". And your planes! Heh, nice. But the one I use more than any other -- by far -- is a Veritas block plane that looks something like the one of yours fourth row down, far right. That little guy. And I like your Japanese pull saws. I own one -- it's all I need for what I use it for.

It took me a while to put together my collection of tools, but now I find, whenever I think about it, there aren't any others I really need. Which is kinda nice. Saves me money. Fortunately I haven't gotten the tool collecting bug the way I got it for photo gear.
09-01-2018, 11:51 AM - 4 Likes   #17734
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by STES Quote
I'll be interested to know what you think of it; I wasn't that happy about the Delta 400 in its first iteration. It had IMHO an unpleasant grain structure ... The Delta 100 was wonderful. I have some 35mm Agfa APX 100 coming - and some Ilford FP4 in 6x7. Right now I'm mostly using Ilford XP-2 Super for analog photography, as my darkroom isn't up yet.
The jury is out for me at the moment. I viewed lots of Ilford 400 pictures on Flickr before buying 5 rolls. My first try with it in admittedly overcast conditions seemed a bit meh (no PP). I am taking time over the next one in mixed conditions with just the HD DA 40mm ltd to see how that works out.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SP-3000  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SP-3000  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SP-3000  Photo 
09-01-2018, 05:00 PM - 8 Likes   #17735
Veteran Member

Bronica ETRSi, 150mm lens, Ektar 100

09-01-2018, 07:11 PM - 7 Likes   #17736
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
Bronica ETRSi, 150mm lens, Ektar 100
Nice work. Which 150? 3.5, or f/4?

---------- Post added 09-01-18 at 07:15 PM ----------

A recent one from my Bronica ETRSi...

Zenza Bronica ETRSi
Zenzanon MC 50/2.8
Expired Kodak Pro 100
Epson V500
09-01-2018, 07:53 PM   #17737
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Nice work. Which 150? 3.5, or f/4?[COLOR="Silver"]
It’s the PE 150/3.5.

09-01-2018, 09:09 PM   #17738
Veteran Member

Question:

So I have a photo series planned. I want it to look gritty and contrasty and nasty, so I'm gonna push some Tri-X to 800. However, I will be using a flash, and part of the series involves black clothing, which I want to still look black even with the flash. Is that still achievable or will the flash make everything grey?
09-02-2018, 03:55 AM   #17739
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jellygeist Quote
Question:

So I have a photo series planned. I want it to look gritty and contrasty and nasty, so I'm gonna push some Tri-X to 800. However, I will be using a flash, and part of the series involves black clothing, which I want to still look black even with the flash. Is that still achievable or will the flash make everything grey?
Most of that’s going to come down to your exposure... I’d turn it down a bit from the balloon series...
And if you’re doing wet printing, there’s paper and filter choices (or were, anyway)...
But there are ways to increase the contrast in developing, too...
At the extreme, you could reticulate your film. I did it once by accident, but I got really gritty, contrast... ‘ruined’ was what I called it, but some people did that on purpose.
TMAX 3200 looks like that naturally at, say, 6400...

-Eric
09-02-2018, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #17740
Pentaxian

Hp5
09-02-2018, 08:57 AM   #17741
Veteran Member

It’s the PE 150/3.5.
Oh nice. I've thought about getting that lens, but my $45 150/4 has served me well
09-02-2018, 09:08 AM   #17742
Veteran Member

yeah, even the older lenses are pretty nice, but its nice to have the half stops of the PE lenses, so when I'm looking for a new lens, I prioritize the PE is I can find it for a reasonable price. Right now I have the 40, 50, 75, and 150 primes. I had the 45-90 for a few weeks, but discovered that while the shutter would open all the way when shooting, it wouldn't when cocked, so I returned it.
09-02-2018, 09:21 AM - 5 Likes   #17743
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Hey Colton! Wow, a lot of posts after you answered mine!

Anyway, I can appreciate your feelings of satisfaction and fulfillment from your career in timber framing. I build custom guitars, so I've also had to work around a mortise and tenon or two, although I prefer alternate methods now, when I can find them and when they're equal to or superior to a m-t joint. Whew, I though I had a lot of hand tools. You've got me beat, except maybe for clamps. Or did you just not include your clamps? Guitar builders can never have enough clamps, I believe.

You being into precise joinery and all, I bet you would have enjoyed guitar building, and I bet you'd have been good at it.

I envy your assortment of chisels, although truth be told, I use mainly only three or four smaller ones most of the time. 1mm, 1/8", 1/4", and 1/2". And your planes! Heh, nice. But the one I use more than any other -- by far -- is a Veritas block plane that looks something like the one of yours fourth row down, far right. That little guy. And I like your Japanese pull saws. I own one -- it's all I need for what I use it for.

It took me a while to put together my collection of tools, but now I find, whenever I think about it, there aren't any others I really need. Which is kinda nice. Saves me money. Fortunately I haven't gotten the tool collecting bug the way I got it for photo gear.
I built furniture in my spare time, so I acquired a lot of smaller chisels and other tools that weren't really needed for timberframing. I was also way into collecting and restoring old handtools. Truth be told, for most of the work I did, I used 2 framing chisels, the large slick, a block plane, a #5 Jack plane, a Carriage Maker's rabbet plane, and a large Japanese handsaw.

I actually got into guitar making a bit in my early 20s. I built 3 solidbody guitars, but then I got into timberframing and didn't do much more guitar making.

Here's a 4x5 film photo I took of the first guitar I made,

Busch Pressman D 4x5
Caltar II-N 150/5.6
Ilford FP4 Plus
Epson V750-M Pro

---------- Post added 09-02-18 at 09:36 AM ----------

yeah, even the older lenses are pretty nice, but its nice to have the half stops of the PE lenses, so when I'm looking for a new lens, I prioritize the PE is I can find it for a reasonable price. Right now I have the 40, 50, 75, and 150 primes. I had the 45-90 for a few weeks, but discovered that while the shutter would open all the way when shooting, it wouldn't when cocked, so I returned it.
I also have a 40, 50, 75, 150 kit. The 75 is the EII version and the others are older MC versions.
I've never really found having half stops to be a big issue, but I mostly shoot C41.
09-02-2018, 06:23 PM   #17744
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Most of that’s going to come down to your exposure... I’d turn it down a bit from the balloon series...
And if you’re doing wet printing, there’s paper and filter choices (or were, anyway)...
But there are ways to increase the contrast in developing, too...
At the extreme, you could reticulate your film. I did it once by accident, but I got really gritty, contrast... ‘ruined’ was what I called it, but some people did that on purpose.
TMAX 3200 looks like that naturally at, say, 6400...

-Eric
I used the auto-exposure for the balloon series (what a thing to say) and I guess it just wanted that flash blasting everything. I'll see what I can do about adjusting the levels.

Speaking of balloons, I did some more balloon pictures today. We lost two balloons to popping and I hope their sacrifice was not in vain. I shot a whole roll of Portra 400 at 200 since that seems to be a thing people do.

More balloons:

09-02-2018, 06:46 PM - 2 Likes   #17745
Veteran Member

Oh hai.

Konica Autoreflex T4 | Hexanon 40/1.8 | Ferrania P30 alpha

Last edited by Eyewanders; 09-05-2018 at 04:01 PM. Reason: link fix