Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2009, 10:03 AM   #166
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I started this thread in the hopes that people would simply put up their snaps but like many other threads on Pentax Forums, it went the way of well, like Pentax Forums...It is a real shame because when this forum was new, it was small and people had respect for one another..No longer the case...Most people that like to argue like to shoot brick walls and news papers so the only safe places seemed to be the Photo sharing section and I thought the film section...but as it turns out no place here is safe....

I was a paying contributor to this forum, but when it came time to renew, I could not do it, not with all the mud slinging and arguing and ad homien attacks that go on here...I know that the mods here do the best they can considering they have one hand tied behind their back and so it goes...
Javier,
Sorry you came under some criticism. I, for one, have always figured that people post the photos that they like and are pleased with. Who am I to say whether they are "good" enough or "serious" enough to post? As for the general "friendliness" as opposed to arguing, flaming, etc...I have found that if I avoid participating in any thread having to do with politics or religious faith (including brand loyalty) I am all the happier. On technical matters or technique, I usually bow out if the thread takes a nasty turn.

Just because there are people who are bent on showing the world that someone else is wrong, does not mean that I have to engage them.

On a brighter note...I would like to affirm you for your consistently good contributions and upbeat approach to photography! When I see one of your threads or comments, I know that it will include good photos and/or reasonable advice!

Steve

Previously posted by another user, but relevant...

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-19-2009 at 10:11 AM.
03-19-2009, 11:12 AM   #167
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
She like to drive her own shoping cart, and nowadays she does not bump into too many old ladies...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3602/3366078611_75ee9ee4d4_o.jpg
Great photo, the wide angle with her wondering expression and the big store around her have an amazing effect.
03-19-2009, 11:28 AM   #168
Veteran Member

OK, Going back in time again..removed as it was offensive to one.
I never said I was offended by your pictures. I do think you could be more rigorous in your selection. I refer you to your original post:

I thought it would be a great idea to have a thread on images that show the beauty of film
03-19-2009, 11:44 AM   #169
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Javier,
Sorry you came under some criticism. I, for one, have always figured that people post the photos that they like and are pleased with. Who am I to say whether they are "good" enough or "serious" enough to post? As for the general "friendliness" as opposed to arguing, flaming, etc...I have found that if I avoid participating in any thread having to do with politics or religious faith (including brand loyalty) I am all the happier. On technical matters or technique, I usually bow out if the thread takes a nasty turn.

Just because there are people who are bent on showing the world that someone else is wrong, does not mean that I have to engage them.

On a brighter note...I would like to affirm you for your consistently good contributions and upbeat approach to photography! When I see one of your threads or comments, I know that it will include good photos and/or reasonable advice!

Steve

I think this is relevant too:

03-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #170
Veteran Member

Kodak BW400CN + yellow filter, 43 Ltd, Program Plus, cropped off a Duane Reed CD, McSorley's dark ale, grilled cheese with tomato sandwich

Duane Reed ASA400 film, Yashinon DX135/2.8, Electro-X

Duane Reed ASA400 film, Yashica Electro GSN

Last edited by Nesster; 03-19-2009 at 12:43 PM.
03-19-2009, 01:50 PM   #171
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote

"wide open" at f/4.5 a DOF test

Amazing! I love it! Only thing that kind of bothers me is the wacky bokeh in the upper right corner.
03-19-2009, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #172
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by artobest Quote
Javier, no offence - your wife is lovely - but these photos belong on Flickr. I thought the thread was intended to showcase outstanding examples of film photography, but it is in danger of turning into an album of family snaps.

With that, and the whole Pumalite business, and the multiple repostings, the thread has kind of outlived its usefulness, IMHO.

Sorry for offending you that way. I just removed all of my family snaps...
Javier, considering what you first wrote in that edited post, something like "she would kill me if she know that I posted these here...", are you sure that she hasn't registered at Pentax forum with the username artobest?

By the way, I'm missing your familly snaps. I was beginning to think that I might put some of my own familly albums in the flat bed scanner...

Hoping that my own pics of my youngest daughter does not offend anyone. Besides the technical point that I'm not making any familly albums any longer, familly snaps are the most important photos:

1) These are the photos I will all look at 20 years from now and remember when I had hair on my head and the kids were kids and I were near the centre of their universe.

2) Familly snappers are those who will buy 20 K-m and 10 K200D for every K20D we are buying so that Pentax can afford to make a K30D, K1D and a 645D.

So artobest, get down from your high horses and stop looking down at familly snaps.

Besides, it is sort of interresting to see how the typical familly snap have changed.
Now we shoot enourmous amounts of digital familly snaps of which the majority spend their existence on a hard disk where mainly only the photographer look at them. Pictures are of fantastic quality on the pixel level, but other qualities have not improved.
Then we made familly albums with paper copies that we all looked in and laughed at during familly events or with visiting friends, or we tortured each other and our famillys with hour long dia slide shows...yet in those not so perfect (on the pixel level) familly snaps I still see a certain film quality that I miss. And I suspect that the 20th century film and paper copies will outlive most of the digital images of the 21st century.
03-19-2009, 05:19 PM   #173
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
Great photo, the wide angle with her wondering expression and the big store around her have an amazing effect.

Thank's! I'm quite hapy with it. A big girl in a big world!
Do you remember how hugh everything seamed when we were in that age?

03-19-2009, 05:40 PM   #174
Site Supporter

More familly snaps

Here are some more shots flat bed scanned from paper copies in my familly album.

The year was 1991. I participated in the International Arctic Ocean Expedition onboard the ice breaker Oden. Digital photo with usefull ISO 1600 and shake reduction was ages away.

Pentax LX with Tokina 400mm f5.6 on Fujichrome 400 ASA. Tripod with the lights from the ship as the only light source, shooting at quite long exposeure times (you can see that the snow is sharp, but the polar bear is moving).
This was in September after the sun had begun to set again at about 86 degrees North, somewhere half way between Greenland and the North Pole.

Don't you see it yeat?

It is following the tracks of some colleagues that was out on the ice floe earlier that day.

"Mmh, those scientist really smell yummy!"

Same camer, lens and film, but earlier in August near the ice edge in the Greenland sea (between Greenland and Svalbard).

Not so easy to spot, right?

Sorry for the hair. I will scan the original slides some day.

I think this is the best one. Just a pitty I didn't have a 600 or 800mm lens or so. You don't want to go too close. On Svalbard they eat a tourist every second year and a scientist every other year
03-20-2009, 07:34 AM   #175
Pentaxian

Cool photos !

Back to spring 1979 with my Canon A1 and Vivitar Series I 70-210mm f:3.5 on Agfachrome 200. You can even see in the white of my turtle's eye !

Scanned with my K20D + DA* 55 + Dörr slide duplicator + Metz 48 AF-1 Digital.

03-20-2009, 11:05 AM   #176
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GearHead Quote
jgredline - don't let one stuffy person ruin it for you. If he doesn't like your thread, well he can start his own - something like "Only post great work here, if you dare!" thread. I think there is room for more than one type of thread in this forum. I also agree about this not being "home of the internet's friendliest Pentax photography discussion forum!" as advertised on the new banner. There's a lot of big egos here and some are not the most tolerant. Anyway, I like your posts - keep 'em coming.
Thanks Gearhead.. I saw that ''friendliest place thing to'' and started to laugh..It used to be though and there are still some great folks here, not all have been run off.
03-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #177
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Javier,

Steve

Thanks Steve, you words mean a great deal to me....Personally I enjoy seeing others photos, especially family photos. They make me happy...There is really nothing more precious than ones family. Thanks again for your support..
03-20-2009, 11:12 AM   #178
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by artobest Quote
I never said I was offended by your pictures. I do think you could be more rigorous in your selection. I refer you to your original post:

I thought it would be a great idea to have a thread on images that show the beauty of film
There you go again with another adhomien attack... To ''me'' those images did show the beauty of film. Maybe not to your perfect high standards, but to me they do...
03-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #179
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Javier, considering what you first wrote in that edited post, something like "she would kill me if she know that I posted these here...", are you sure that she hasn't registered at Pentax forum with the username artobest?
Thanks Douglas..I thought the same thing at first until I went back and saw that the pot that called the kettle black was posing with his child (family photo) and since I knew that was not my child, I hoped it was not my wife

QuoteQuote:
By the way, I'm missing your familly snaps. I was beginning to think that I might put some of my own familly albums in the flat bed scanner...

Hoping that my own pics of my youngest daughter does not offend anyone. Besides the technical point that I'm not making any familly albums any longer, familly snaps are the most important photos:
I agree. Perhaps a family snaps thread is in order? I for one enjoy family snaps..
QuoteQuote:
1) These are the photos I will all look at 20 years from now and remember when I had hair on my head and the kids were kids and I were near the centre of their universe.
Oh yes and silly mustaches to try and be cool

QuoteQuote:
2) Familly snappers are those who will buy 20 K-m and 10 K200D for every K20D we are buying so that Pentax can afford to make a K30D, K1D and a 645D.
This is exactly right!

QuoteQuote:
So artobest, get down from your high horses and stop looking down at familly snaps.
Agreed

QuoteQuote:
Besides, it is sort of interresting to see how the typical familly snap have changed.
Now we shoot enourmous amounts of digital familly snaps of which the majority spend their existence on a hard disk where mainly only the photographer look at them. Pictures are of fantastic quality on the pixel level, but other qualities have not improved.
Then we made familly albums with paper copies that we all looked in and laughed at during familly events or with visiting friends, or we tortured each other and our famillys with hour long dia slide shows...yet in those not so perfect (on the pixel level) familly snaps I still see a certain film quality that I miss. And I suspect that the 20th century film and paper copies will outlive most of the digital images of the 21st century.
Aint this the truth...
Thanks again!
03-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #180
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Cool photos !

Back to spring 1979 with my Canon A1 and Vivitar Series I 70-210mm f:3.5 on Agfachrome 200. You can even see in the white of my turtle's eye !

Scanned with my K20D + DA* 55 + Dörr slide duplicator + Metz 48 AF-1 Digital.
I have just recently started to shoot flowers with film and I must say, the results are pretty OK..The prints look far better than what I get on the monitor. Well done.