Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43116 Likes Search this Thread
07-05-2020, 10:10 AM   #20956
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Bright colors that match those of competing males or of competing species might repel the birds people are hoping to attract to their nesting boxes. Some species might not care, but those are probably more aggressive species. If somebody is trying to provide nesting habitat for a rare or threatened species of hole-nesting bird, nest boxes closer to the color of dead trees that could have natural holes in them, is advised.
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I guess the B&W one was first, as it appears the house on the left is occupied (or at least has been grabbed) based on the chewing up of the paint around the entrance in the color shot...
The bird houses are part of an art exhibit at a local university (UBC). (The bird houses represent "housing" of new immigrants to Canada, if I remember correctly)

Correct the b&w image was taken four weeks before the colour shot. Nice to see birds are using them even though it's an "art" piece!

Phil.

07-05-2020, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #20957
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
The bird houses are part of an art exhibit at a local university (UBC). (The bird houses represent "housing" of new immigrants to Canada, if I remember correctly)

Correct the b&w image was taken four weeks before the colour shot. Nice to see birds are using them even though it's an "art" piece!

Phil.

I'm not saying they aren't pretty. And I wouldn't be surprised if house wrens, or some European hole-nesters might be using them. Any bird using them is a case for some delight, of course.

I only mentioned it because I see so many brightly colored bird houses or bird-house-looking things sold for yard decor at discount stores and garden centers and even see them displayed in yards, sometimes so close to the ground hardly any wild bird would use them. I'm afraid people make the mistake of thinking that they are helping threatened hole nesters when they put them out in their yards. In some cases, painting the same houses a dull gray or brown, and placing them at the proper nesting height for a bird that looks for that house's hole size, and in a part of one's property offering the kind of cover those birds would look for around their nesting hole, would make a great difference. It is pretty easy to find that kind of information about specific birds and their house preferences online.

I also worry about the young children of families putting out these bright bird houses who will be be disappointed if they aren't used, and who also might have missed the opportunity to learn a few basic concepts about the needs of the native birds of their locale. I used to teach young children as a park naturalist. It is amazing how much even third graders know about things like rainforest canopies and under-story plants and animals. They are certainly capable of understanding a few of the basic needs of different birds when it comes to natural nesting holes or human made houses. It would be nice to see them started out right. It might seem esoteric to some people, but it's not at all hard to understand.

That an art installation might become a home for wildlife of any kind is a fun idea though.
07-05-2020, 01:39 PM   #20958
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote

Phil.
There is a similar cluster of bird houses in the Place du Canada in Montréal. I wonder if it was a widespread installation, or if it was just coincidence?

-Eric
07-05-2020, 02:01 PM   #20959
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a similar cluster of bird houses in the Place du Canada in Montréal. I wonder if it was a widespread installation, or if it was just coincidence?

-Eric
It could be the same installation. I've seen the big black spider metal piece outside art galleries in Ottawa and Bilbao Spain. Same with the baby face sculpture.)

Phil.

07-06-2020, 02:25 AM   #20960
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
I have been trying to digitise old slides with my K3 and HD DA 35mm. Results are very sketchy even on shots I know to be super sharp and colourful when viewed on a projector screen. There seems to be no consistency in IQ or fidelity. Converting to B&W helps sometimes, but not others! Anyway here are today's B&W conversions. And what's more it looks like its time to get my sensor cleaned. Grrrrr.
How do you focus? Live view, max magnification and manual on the film grain? Is the film flat?
07-06-2020, 03:12 AM - 5 Likes   #20961
Pentaxian

07-06-2020, 03:11 PM - 11 Likes   #20962

200 second exposure, using hp5+ @200 on my Bronica ETRS

Attached Images

07-06-2020, 03:31 PM   #20963
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That's an awesome picture!
A different crop so the subject wasn't dead center of the frame would make it even more so.
07-07-2020, 03:25 AM - 1 Like   #20964
Pentaxian

07-07-2020, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #20965

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That's an awesome picture!
A different crop so the subject wasn't dead center of the frame would make it even more so.
No, that's where I wanted it. Not everything has to go on a third line
07-07-2020, 06:49 AM - 1 Like   #20966
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdavis2412 Quote
No, that's where I wanted it. Not everything has to go on a third line
Which part of RULE of Thirds don't you understand?
07-07-2020, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #20967

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Which part of RULE of Thirds don't you understand?
Since when does art have rules that must be obeyed?
07-07-2020, 07:19 AM - 2 Likes   #20968
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think the RULE was meant in jest...

I think I prefer the more central composition. It works with the vignetting...
And the long exposure is a good choice.

-Eric
07-07-2020, 07:37 AM   #20969
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote
How do you focus? Live view, max magnification and manual on the film grain? Is the film flat?
Film is flat. Focus with magnified live view. The problem is not the focusing, the problem's are inconsistent white balance which is often way off and not redeemable in post ( I might try putting a 80A warn up filter between the light source and slide to correct this) , blur on pictures I know to be super sharp (it is almost as if the camera lens de-focuses itself after pressing the shutter), I also sometimes get a ring of light around the outer thirds of the image on occasion. As I said the real problem is the inconsistency. The camera is tripod mounted and flat, as are the slides. I know that if both are not 100% flat that could account for the blur, but not the inconsistency. I use a remote and self timer to eliminate shake. I will try again using a different lens - a 50mm or 90mm macro to see if this cures the problems, if it does I will invest in a copy stand as trying to get slide and camera totally parallel is a PIA otherwise
07-07-2020, 08:08 AM   #20970

I think the RULE was meant in jest...

I think I prefer the more central composition. It works with the vignetting...
And the long exposure is a good choice.

-Eric
Ah, it's difficult to pic up sarcasm whilst reading. No tone of voice or body language to pic up on! Thanks for the kind words on the pic, it's much appreciated.

Matt