Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2010, 04:55 AM   #2116
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
Clearly, there are some issues with the shutter. I'm hoping it was just the cold temperatures of the day. I've cocked and released shutter several times with the back open and can't replicate the above issue at room temperature (which I believe is caused by the shutter not fully closing after opening). Am I correct in this diagnosis or can someone point me in the right direction? Had a great time shooting this camera and I'm hoping to use a few other M42 lenses I have kicking around on it (55 f1.8, 200 f4, 28 f3.5) without having to send it in for work. Any thoughts from the forum would be greatly appreciated.

Best to all,
Kevin
Kevin, I had a similar experience with a SP1000 when I first got it, taking it out on a day where the temp was in the teens F. It's not the shutter not closing IMO as the band is under/non exposed rather than over exposed. It's possible the mirror gets in the way, or part of the shutter curtain doesn't open.

Anyway, like you say it only happened in the very cold, and for me hasn't happened since. Usage limbers up the mechanism, and replacing seals seems to keep any mirror sticking issues to a minimum.

Good pics from the first (second) roll!

01-29-2010, 05:30 AM   #2117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Kevin, I had a similar experience with a SP1000 when I first got it, taking it out on a day where the temp was in the teens F. It's not the shutter not closing IMO as the band is under/non exposed rather than over exposed. It's possible the mirror gets in the way, or part of the shutter curtain doesn't open.

Anyway, like you say it only happened in the very cold, and for me hasn't happened since. Usage limbers up the mechanism, and replacing seals seems to keep any mirror sticking issues to a minimum.

Good pics from the first (second) roll!
Nesster, thanks for the response, encouraging comment, and the essentially good news. When I shot the lion it put me in mind of your old avatar . After I posted last night, I took a look at my negatives and it dawned on me that I had things ass-backwards in my post . I, too, was thinking that the camera just needs more use to "limber" up. It's in remarkably good physical condition, age notwithstanding. It certainly looks like it didn't see much use in its original life. I keep meaning to post some photos of my Pentax "family" in the "Show us your film camera" thread and just haven't got 'round to taking the shots yet.

Do you use the meter in your SP1000? Out of curiosity, what battery solution did you use?

Best,
Kevin

P. S. Also still need to get my SV fixed - haven't managed to find the time to ship it down to Eric.

Last edited by KJon; 01-29-2010 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Adjectives are important
01-29-2010, 05:43 AM   #2118
Veteran Member

My talented daughter took the SP1000 for herself, so I haven't used it in a while... but I bought a bunch of S400PX batteries from mdbattery.com, which work just fine. Though in my latest Spotmatic, the black lizard skin SP, the first roll seemed a bit under exposed... In theory the meter should not mind the higher voltage as it has a bridge circuit.
01-29-2010, 05:52 AM   #2119
Veteran Member

I was operating under the premise that the bridge circuit would take care of things, but the first roll through the SPII disproved that - at least on my copy of it. I compared the SPIIs meter to the Weston while on this last shoot and it was consistently showing the Weston's settings as being waaaay over-exposed (which they clearly aren't). It also explains why my first roll was so underexposed . I'm wondering if the S400PX batteries would have the meter work any better, or if it's just non-functional on this body (or if the tin-foil job I did with my 1.5v battery is somehow to blame <g>).

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. In the grand scheme of things, if I invest in a SP400X battery and it doesn't work, I'm not out a whole lot of scratch and no worse off than I currently am.

Best,
Kevin

01-29-2010, 06:01 AM   #2120
Veteran Member

Kevin, once you know how many stops over the meter reads, you adjust the ASA to compensate. Simple and effective

Fuji 160S

SP1000, Yashinon DX 135/2.8, Ilford XP2
01-29-2010, 06:51 AM   #2121
Veteran Member

Nesster, should be fairly simple math if I work on it with my Weston in one hand and the SPII in the other. The difference is looking pretty extrem to my eye, however - prolly like 3 stops. When I was searching the net for battery solutions, I remember reading something to the effect that it would be of +-1/3 of a stop, but maybe I misread it <g>.

Best,
Kevin
01-29-2010, 02:32 PM   #2122

I use an alkaline cell on my SP500, and the meter works correctly. I compared its values to the ones provided by my all-time-reliable MX and by a Spotmatic II powered by a mercury cell, and there are no differences at all. But the meter of the SP500 seems to be more sensitive when the light changes. The needle raises higher or falls deeper than the one in the Spotmatic II.
01-29-2010, 05:13 PM   #2123
Veteran Member

dikigoros, glad you had better luck with the alkaline battery with your SP500 than I did in my SPII <g>. In the meanwhile, I think I'm going to follow Nesster's advice and calibrate the meter against my Weston light meter using the ASA speed.

Nesster, really like that Fuji 160s. Stopped into my local "pro" shop today and got nervous - the selection of film is really dwindling. I had popped in last week for a couple rolls of Reala 100 and was told it had been on backorder for six weeks. Today's visit didn't bear any fruit either. I'd prefer to support my local guy when I can, but if this keeps up, I may be driven to the internet.

Best to all,
Kevin

01-29-2010, 08:13 PM   #2124

I tried pushing Tri-X with Rodinal, and I quite like some of the results. I was supposed to semi-stand develop it 1:50 for 41 minutes with 5 gentle agitations every 5 minutes (after initial minute of gentle agitation), but I switched up the two developing tanks I was using. So, the ISO3200 shots were developed 1:25 for 7 minutes, and the ISO400 were semi-stand developed as above for 30 minutes or so (at which point I realized the mistake, since the shorter processing was done). I'm going to try pushing again this weekend.

Enough chatter, more photos:

ISO 3200:

ISO 400:

01-30-2010, 06:27 AM   #2125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Great idea - gives me an excuse to show pics from the mid 80s, with ASA400 film I've long forgotten, the Oly OM2s and the Tamron 35-80 SP... Some of the best pictures I've ever taken were from that time.

Most of these are scans of prints...
I've just spent hours working my way through 142 pages of fantastic shots in this thread only to find that the best shot was on page 1. "The decisive moment" is a term often used in photography and you have captured it to perfection. Its a lovely shot and I hope you have got it framed and hanging up somewhere.
01-30-2010, 06:30 AM   #2126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Red Quote
ME, M50 1.7, 400CN

Beautiful shot. The subject, the composition, just perfect.
01-30-2010, 09:40 AM   #2127
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Wow, I never even noticed it, not lately anyway. 142 pages worth of images. And people say film is dead.
01-30-2010, 10:59 AM   #2128
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I finally got round to scanning a roll of Velvia 100 to took last summer with my ME.
Here are a few.

All with ME, M-50/1.7

Swift1
01-31-2010, 03:02 PM   #2129
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My notes say this was a 50mm lens, so I was close to this angry swan.
Attached Images

01-31-2010, 04:04 PM   #2130
Veteran Member

One hell of a swan. Super!!! I get scared...

Here, to show you don't need no stinkin focus aid, with a Bessa I Vaskar folding camera, 6x4.5 mask, probably Neopan 400 film: