Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43059 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2010, 12:34 PM   #2146
Inactive Account

@Nesster: Thanks! Now I guess the mother (my younger sister) won't give me any more cookies when I'll visit them.

However, the thing I did differently in these "clean" shots is that I watched carefully the curves when scanning with VueScan, then turned off all the tweakings proposed by ACR when opened the .dng file... so the results are the closest to my initial intentions.

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
The nice thing about BW400CN is that on a Nikon scanner, Digital ICE would have taken care of that whisker. I spend a lot of time on TMax scans dealing with those bits of lint.
@GeneV: yeah, but...
1) BW400CN is not 100% a bw film
2) I'd gladly process my own TMax (or Delta 3200), instead of letting the lab handle my BW400CN
3) usually I do clean the pics, but I scanned and uploaded this while (ssshhh...) at work
4) last time I checked the price of a Nikon scanner, I got to: "then I'd better buy a D700".

02-04-2010, 09:45 PM   #2147
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MeFirstO Quote
@Nesster: Thanks! Now I guess the mother (my younger sister) won't give me any more cookies when I'll visit them.

However, the thing I did differently in these "clean" shots is that I watched carefully the curves when scanning with VueScan, then turned off all the tweakings proposed by ACR when opened the .dng file... so the results are the closest to my initial intentions.

@GeneV: yeah, but...
1) BW400CN is not 100% a bw film
2) I'd gladly process my own TMax (or Delta 3200), instead of letting the lab handle my BW400CN
3) usually I do clean the pics, but I scanned and uploaded this while (ssshhh...) at work
4) last time I checked the price of a Nikon scanner, I got to: "then I'd better buy a D700".
I really love my Coolscan9000. BW400CN is basically Kodak's answer to Ilford XP1 (now XP2), which I used a lot in the 80s. The C41 film does remove the silver and let the infrared ICE system work. I did not realize how much dust and scratch that system was removing until I started scanning the traditional B&W films.
02-05-2010, 04:53 AM   #2148
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ICE is nice, no doubt about it, though you should check the fine detail with and without ICE - it's a matter of compromises, I find ICE (epson 4490) will blur fine detail a bit. Most of the time this isn't directly noticeable.
02-05-2010, 06:12 AM   #2149
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
ICE is nice, no doubt about it, though you should check the fine detail with and without ICE - it's a matter of compromises, I find ICE (epson 4490) will blur fine detail a bit. Most of the time this isn't directly noticeable.
I haven't tried the Epson. The Coolscan 9000 has Nikon's best implementation of ICE, and I find it very difficult to detect a loss in sharpness at the settings I use. Not to drift the thread too far, but one big key is to use pp sharpening and never use the unsharp mask built into the Nikon software--which actually makes the scan softer IMO.

02-05-2010, 07:49 PM   #2150
Veteran Member

Looks like it's time for some more pics...

I've been meaning to give Fuji Acros 100 a shot, and lucked out into finding some recently expired stock at half price. I bought two rolls and this is roll 1 - not ready to give up Tri-X for it. I'll wait 'til the second roll to pass final judgement...

K1000, M28 f3.5, Fuji Across 100

Dad and I went to go see Avatar here. I got to the theatre early and just happened to have my camera...

Yet another piece of public art...although I kind of like this one <g>.

Best to all,
Kevin
02-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #2151
Veteran Member

Oops, one more...with apologies to Javier - seems to me I remember you having shot a parking meter on the left coast so in the interest of preserving kharmic balance, here's one from the east...

Regards.
Kevin
02-05-2010, 08:05 PM   #2152
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Canon AE-1, Ektar 100

02-05-2010, 08:12 PM   #2153
Veteran Member

Javier, looks like you're still making good use of Ektar and your AE-1. Finally put a roll of fresh Ultramax 400 in mine today with the best of intentions and didn't event shoot frame one...oh well, tomorrow is another day.

Good move giving your son the digital and saving the good stuff <film> for yourself .

Best,
Kevin
02-05-2010, 08:26 PM   #2154
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
Javier, looks like you're still making good use of Ektar and your AE-1. Finally put a roll of fresh Ultramax 400 in mine today with the best of intentions and didn't event shoot frame one...oh well, tomorrow is another day.

Good move giving your son the digital and saving the good stuff <film> for yourself .

Best,
Kevin
LOL. So true, so true. This week I have been using a Canon FTB i bought on flea bay and ; well, I will see what comes out of it tomorrow.
02-05-2010, 09:28 PM   #2155
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KJon, I like those Acros 100 shots. I have 4 rolls of 120 Acros in the fridge and have been meaning to shot some but have had other things going. I ran a roll of 11 year old RVP through my 67 today, we'll soon see if it's still any good. In the meantime I'm scanning various old photos I took long before I got a scanner.
Here is a shot taken on Sensia with a Minolta 303si Super and a Tamron 28-200.

Swift1
02-06-2010, 04:32 AM   #2156
Veteran Member

Swift1, glad you liked the Acros shots. Speaking of having rolls of film in the fridge...I've got a roll of Sensia (expired, but not by much) that I'm "saving", although I'm not sure for what. I'd like to shoot more slide film, but it's been pretty grey around here lately when I've had time to go shoot. I always associate slide with color and there hasn't been alot of that this winter <g>. You just proved color is where you find it. Really nice job above, BTW. Upshot is, the few slide rolls I've shot ended up having really sketchy processing. I loved the sharpness and color, but they were marred by black spots, which I'm told are caused by using expired chemistry. I've found (another) pro lab that seems to have a lot of integrity and a firm commitment to excellence in their work and I'm going to send my next roll of slides there and hope for the best. If their E-6 is as good as their B&W, I'm afraid I'm going to end up with yet another film habit <g>.

Best,
Kevin
02-06-2010, 05:03 AM   #2157
Veteran Member

Kevin - your Acros shots kick assssss, I've mainly used it in 120 size and while I've loved the tone, I didn't get the density of contrast (LOL) that you get with your shots. Nice photos they are as well, what lens did you use for the cinema, looks pretty wide.
02-06-2010, 06:27 AM   #2158
Veteran Member

Nesster, aaaw, shucks, you're going to make me blush <g>. Many thanks for the compliment - it means a lot coming from you. On the humility side, it was a 36 exposure roll and I sure as hell wouldn't post all 36 <g>. Should also tip my hat to my lab as well. Those guys are really great.

I think I screwed up when I tagged those files. I'm pretty sure it was the M28 f3.5 although the tag may read M50 f1.7. I'll have to go back and check.

Again, thanks for the warm fuzzy - beats a sharp stick in the eye any day of the week.

Best,
Kevin
02-06-2010, 06:58 AM   #2159
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
(...)Here is a shot taken on Sensia with a Minolta 303si Super and a Tamron 28-200.

Swift1
I love the tones and the details in this one - beautiful!
02-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #2160
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks MeFirstO.
Kevin, I hear you about it being gray. It's feels like it has been gray around here for months and it's hard to the cost of buying/developing color slide film when there is a general lack of color around and you would get much better results using good old B7W film. We had a rare sunny day yesterday and so I put a roll of Velvia in my 67 and quickly went out and tried to get some decent shots. Once again it is gray this morning so I am thinking of putting a roll of Acros in m 67 and doing some test shots for the purpose of developing it myself.

Swift1