Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43116 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #2221
Veteran Member

The Samyang (& Polar & a bunch of other brands) 85mm 1.4 fits Pentax. It's quite well liked.

02-15-2010, 06:02 PM   #2222
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's always the Helios 40-2 85/f1.5. I should get one in the mail this week.
02-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #2223
Veteran Member

Found a used SuperProgram on the Photographer's Marketplace here and snapped it up. Also managed to snap the mode dial pretty handily as well when it arrived. Sent it off to Eric and hallelujah! it came back healed! Well, almost...still facing an issue with TTL flash, but we'll sort that out another time. Had a chance to shoot some pics with it on Saturday, but Saturday was one of the uglier days of the year around here, so I decided to shoot B&W instead of the color I had with me. I have a roll of Tri-X and a roll of Plus-X on my dining room table, but do you think I was smart enough to bring it with me? Of course not, so a quick trip to WalMart yielded a box of BW400CN...

I'm pleasantly surprised at the build quality of the SuperProgram. I've been looking at a lot of pictures of the camera as I was interested in having TTL flash available for use on a manual focus body and none of them have done the beast justice; all the pictures I've seen made it look "cheap". In point of fact, it's a very solid piece of kit and I love the sound of the shutter. (Good thing, because I've subsequently purchased another inexpensive copy of this body in hopes of realizing my TTL flash dreams <g>).

SuperProgram, M50 f2, BW400CN

Also pleasantly surprised with the M50 f2 - haven't used it much since I came into an M50 1.7. It's a sharp little beast stopped down.

Best to all,
Kevin
02-15-2010, 06:50 PM   #2224
Veteran Member

A couple of weeks back, I made mention of finding a Canon AE-1 on CraigsList. I shot a roll of expired Konica DNP through it and it had such a wicked color shift that I converted all the shots to B&W and threatened to post some shots from it when I finally had some fresh film. Well, I finally had some fresh film...

Canon AE-1, Tokina 28-70 f2.8, Kodak Ultramax 400 (Valentine's Day at the Beach)

My Valentine...

Thanks for looking,
Kevin

02-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #2225
Veteran Member

This CBA thing is starting to get out of hand..., but damn, it's a lot of fun

Best,
Kevin
02-15-2010, 07:16 PM   #2226
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
This CBA thing is starting to get out of hand..., but damn, it's a lot of fun

Best,
Kevin
Seriously, fantastic work and really you are on fire!
02-15-2010, 07:18 PM   #2227
Pentaxian

I've been watching everyone post such great shots I finally decided to grab one. This shot had an element of luck. If you've ever used a view camera at night, you'd know what I'm talking about. But I had to compose by "instrument"; that is, the levels on the camera because I couldn't see well enough to know where the boundaries of the shot were. So I grabbed a bit of a wide angle to make sure.

Wisner 4x5 TF, Schneider APO Symmar MC 120mm f5.6, Kodak 320TXP, PMK Pyro

02-15-2010, 08:00 PM   #2228
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Seriously, fantastic work and really you are on fire!
Javier, thanks for the kind words. Thought of your beach shots when I was shooting mine, although I guarantee to it was a damn sight colder in CT <g>. Still not "sold" on that AE-1, but that Tokina 28-70 zoom is a sweet lens (particularly for a zoom of that vintage).

Best,
Kevin
02-15-2010, 08:08 PM   #2229
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I've been watching everyone post such great shots I finally decided to grab one. This shot had an element of luck. If you've ever used a view camera at night, you'd know what I'm talking about. But I had to compose by "instrument"; that is, the levels on the camera because I couldn't see well enough to know where the boundaries of the shot were. So I grabbed a bit of a wide angle to make sure.

Wisner 4x5 TF, Schneider APO Symmar MC 120mm f5.6, Kodak 320TXP, PMK Pyro
Tuco, loved this shot when I saw it before (on the medium format forum<?>) and I'm loving it even more knowing some of the back story. I've posted elsewhere how tempted I am by larger formats every time I see shots like these. I have a couple photo projects on my "to do" list; first is to get a handle on speedlights (working on that one), second was to play with longer exposures (the fault of your shipwreck photo, among others), and last is going to be larger formats. There's a lot of inspiring talent around the forums and your work is a real standout. (Not even going to mention your initial stab at glamour photography <oops, I just did>).

Best,
Kevin
02-15-2010, 08:24 PM   #2230
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Kevin, I have really become fond of my AE-1. As I said, my only complaints are that it is shutter priority and the loud shutter. The metering is fantastic though as are those FD lenses.
02-15-2010, 08:33 PM   #2231
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Kevin, I have really become fond of my AE-1. As I said, my only complaints are that it is shutter priority and the loud shutter. The metering is fantastic though as are those FD lenses.
Javier, haven't really shot mine enough to really know how I feel about it. As for the shutter being loud, the wind was howling like a banshee at the beach, it could sound like a shotgun for all I know. I couldn't hear myself think. My wife was so cold at one point, she ended up doing this...

Yep, that's my Valentine

How did things shake out with that e-bay FT you bought?

Best,
Kevin

Last edited by KJon; 02-15-2010 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Flash of memory
02-15-2010, 08:49 PM   #2232
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, time to bring the bar back down again. These where more of an exposer check than anything else. I bought a RICOH XR-P for $5.00 on ebay. The guy had like 50 of them as they where used in his photography class. I used my Tokina 28 with a CPL...Mistake, can you guess why?

02-15-2010, 08:58 PM   #2233
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Continuing to bring the bar down, These I took with my new to me Canon FTb and FD50F/1.8..Ilford delta 100
Again, these where more of an exposer check. I do like the quiet shutter but it's metering system is weird to me as is loading the film. All n all, I don't think I will be using it again. It is bigger and heavier that my Spotties...It looks cool though and would make a terrific weapon... So maybe I will use it in the bad side of town.

A couple of quick grab street shots.

My kids.

02-15-2010, 09:54 PM   #2234
Pentaxian

Acros 100, PMK Pyro

Acros 100, PMK Pyro, 120 second exposure

Kodak 100TMX, PMK Pyro

Acros 100, PMK Pyro

Last edited by tuco; 02-15-2010 at 10:22 PM.
02-16-2010, 12:49 AM   #2235
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
There's always the Helios 40-2 85/f1.5. I should get one in the mail this week.
Congrats!
I just checked it and it's somewhere between GBP 200 - GBP 300... a bit over what I'm ready to pay.
However, a quick search on flickr turned out some great portraits!