Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2010, 09:35 PM   #2281
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I was in a film shooting mood today, so I was off on a little walk. I ended up driving to China town and had a nice time. It was quiet and peaceful. 78 deg temp and slightly breezy. As far as shooting went. It was a rather dry day as well. These where my favs.
Ricoh SLR with SMC-A28F/2.8 and Ilford Delta 100

02-19-2010, 03:16 AM   #2282
Veteran Member

Ahah, the last one is hilarious. I also like the one with the fruit and two ladies because it presents a complete scene. Also the one with two women walking towards you because one of them clearly came here through a time portal to the early 70s.
02-19-2010, 03:52 AM   #2283
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Javier -- that second one is great -- nice moment, nice framing.
02-19-2010, 04:55 AM   #2284
Veteran Member

Javier, I really like the high angle on number 3. Were you standing on something or did you hold the camera over your head? Inquiring minds want to know.

02-19-2010, 06:24 AM   #2285
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote

Gene, see comments on C-41 B&W above. I'm really grateful for BW400CN as it's more readily available than traditional B&W and it goes without saying that it's easier to get it processed (for those of us who don't yet develop our own film). I was thinking it really saved my bacon a week back on a grey day that I thought was too bleak for color. Now after seeing Agnostic's shots, I'm not so sure...

Best to all,
Kevin
I shoot a lot of the BW400CN these days for some of the same reasons. You can buy it and get it processed at a Walgreens--and quickly. Skies are grainless, and skin is rendered in a creamy, almost LF way that is very flattering to those of us who have been around a few years. Also, Digital ICE works beautifully on it. For my 645 shots scanned in a glass carrier, the time spent taking out dust on traditional B&W can seem endless. In the 80s, I would shoot Ilford XP1 in an MX body with a dead meter, and hardly get my Sekonic out of the pocket because XP1 was so easy to expose. I would process XP1 myself, because it did not fare well in 1 hour machines. Kodak's product is tougher.

However, the grain, the sharpness and the tonality of the traditional film are absolutely gorgeous in the right hands. The tones are very difficult to duplicate in a chromogenic. The control is also a huge plus. You don't really need a darkroom just to process the film, though my wife isn't crazy about chemistry in the guest bath.
02-19-2010, 06:32 AM   #2286
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I was in a film shooting mood today, so I was off on a little walk. I ended up driving to China town and had a nice time. It was quiet and peaceful. 78 deg temp and slightly breezy. As far as shooting went. It was a rather dry day as well. These where my favs.
Ricoh SLR with SMC-A28F/2.8 and Ilford Delta 100
Those are terrific shots, Javier. Were you exposing/developing to emphasize grain? The grain works perfectly in these images, but I would have picked the film as a traditional 400 rather than Delta 100.
02-19-2010, 07:39 AM   #2287
Veteran Member

Certo Super Sport Dolly w/uncoated Xenar, Ilford Delta 100 in D-76 undiluted, I had to fix a light leak in this frame and didn't do a perfect job... the diagonal light/dark stripe across the teepees...

02-19-2010, 09:27 AM   #2288
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brkl Quote
Ahah, the last one is hilarious. I also like the one with the fruit and two ladies because it presents a complete scene. Also the one with two women walking towards you because one of them clearly came here through a time portal to the early 70s.
Thank you. That was the last image of the roll. It was one of those find anything to shoot pics so I could get to developing the film
02-19-2010, 09:30 AM   #2289
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
Javier -- that second one is great -- nice moment, nice framing.
Thank you. It is hard to shoot the elderly Chinese, those have have freshly migrated here to the states, because many of them believe that if you shoot their face, you will capture their soul in the picture. So I try my best not to get their faces, but sometimes I forget.
02-19-2010, 09:33 AM   #2290
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
Javier, I really like the high angle on number 3. Were you standing on something or did you hold the camera over your head? Inquiring minds want to know.
Kev, I am not that tall. I was 6'2 at one time, and I am now down to 6'1,
I just held the cam over my head and fired away.
02-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #2291
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Those are terrific shots, Javier. Were you exposing/developing to emphasize grain? The grain works perfectly in these images, but I would have picked the film as a traditional 400 rather than Delta 100.
Thank you Gene. Normally I do use 400 or even 800 speed film for these types of shots.
i bought this fellows developing set up on craigs list and he gave me a bunch of expired delta 100. So I have been using old chemicals and old film to learn how to develop film. I have done it in the past, but never really kept at it. This time I am committed to getting it right. When I bought the stuff, the guy told me to shoot the Ilford 100 at 50ASA to get a smoother grain and to help hide the flaws in the expired film. He guessed it was 15 years past and was not in the fridge. I can't complain though, I bought everything for 20 bucks including 27 rolls of film.

Still, I got very inconsistent results from this batch of film. Many images came out junk....Another thing that he told me was that Ilford black and whites require ''total darkness'' to develop and so I was fumbling around. This was my second attempt. The first, I left in the soup far too long and the lights came out over exposed and very contrasty. Anyway, I need to get a 15watt green bulb according to Ilfords web site. I have not seen a green bulb since I was in JR High in the 70's

Thanks again!
02-19-2010, 10:09 AM   #2292
Veteran Member

Most of us probably have total darkness until the film is safe in the light-tight can. It gets easier.
02-19-2010, 10:27 AM   #2293
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here are a few more from that roll of expired Ilford delta 100
These where at Olvera Street on a walk through.

Chillie peppers..I have no idea why I shot this.

A lady bumped me just as I was clicking away here.

02-19-2010, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #2294
Pentaxian

Driving home from a days shooting and this scene unfolded. I drove up the nearest logging road to get a better vantage point. I stopped at the first clearing because I feared the moment wouldn't last.

Wisner 4x5 TF, Schneider APO Symmar MC 120mm f5.6, TXT 4164, PMK Pyro

A lighthouse in the city

Wisner 4x5 TF, Schneider APO Symmar MC 120mm f5.6, 320TXP, Green Filter, PMK Pyro

Last edited by tuco; 02-19-2010 at 08:29 PM.
02-19-2010, 03:51 PM   #2295
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
...Another thing that he told me was that Ilford black and whites require ''total darkness'' to develop and so I was fumbling around.

...Anyway, I need to get a 15watt green bulb according to Ilfords web site. I have not seen a green bulb since I was in JR High in the 70's
What are you going to use the Green bulb for? You better get one that emits an advertised wavelength and check the film's data sheet to what wave lengths it is sensitive to. I believe many years ago with older film people could briefly look at their negatives with a Green light during development. But I think you could only harvest general under/over exposure information doing that.