Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43141 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2010, 06:01 PM   #2491
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks Kjon. The stairs don't look so daunting once I've had my caffeine. That is a 17mm point of view in the shot, and after the coffee it is more like 28mm.

03-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #2492
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IS050 Quote
Thanks Steve! I appreciate the kind words and glad you like it.

David
Yes, very nice stuff.
03-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #2493
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's been so much B&W (although I have some of that to post, too), I figured it was time to shoot some color:

ZX-5n, FA35 f2, Ektar

Finally decided to try some longer exposures with a tripod...Cathedral I work at is a little dark...next couple are 3 second exposures.

More Ektar in the next post.

Best,
Kevin
03-10-2010, 07:43 PM   #2494
Veteran Member

More from the same roll...

ZX-5n, FA35 f2, Ektar (Scenic Waterbury, CT)

Have to be honest, that after shooting mostly B&W, the color was almost as jarring as finally seeing the sun again.

Best to all,
Kevin

03-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #2495
Veteran Member

Thanks Kjon and GeneV for the comments. For economical and convenience reason, I will stick with C41 B/W films for now, so I tried Kodak BW400CN and Ilford XP2, the Ilford XP2 is better with less color cast, and I like the tones. I understand C41 is usually considered a color process, but to my surprised when I ran the scanned images with Fastatone colors count, Ilford xp2 has 256, but the Kodak is 1500!! Also the printed copy of the Kodak has the pinkish color while the Ilford is more b/w.

@Kjon, Nice series of the Ektar, the colors really pop and very sharp in details. Now I need to get one and try it out myself!
03-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #2496
Veteran Member

More of scenic Waterbury, only this time in B&W

SuperProgram, M50 f2, BW400CN

Reflections...

And the last two...

I'm really enjoying the SuperProgram body despite the fact that I can't get TTL flash to work with either my Metz 48 or 58 on either of my two copies. If anybody has any thoughts on why this is so, I'd appreciate it. Getting TTL with both my Metzes on the ZX-5n so I'm not sure what the issue is. Pictures of the SuperProgram really don't do it justice. It's really quite a robust little beast and I do like the added screw-on grip.

Best,
Kevin
03-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #2497
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IS050 Quote
Thanks Kjon and GeneV for the comments. For economical and convenience reason, I will stick with C41 B/W films for now, so I tried Kodak BW400CN and Ilford XP2, the Ilford XP2 is better with less color cast, and I like the tones. I understand C41 is usually considered a color process, but to my surprised when I ran the scanned images with Fastatone colors count, Ilford xp2 has 256, but the Kodak is 1500!! Also the printed copy of the Kodak has the pinkish color while the Ilford is more b/w.

@Kjon, Nice series of the Ektar, the colors really pop and very sharp in details. Now I need to get one and try it out myself!
Thanks for the kind words. I do like the Ektar, even if it is a little over-the-top. I've been having a hard time getting Fuji Reala 100 from my local guy (which I like better). It's a tad more subtle (difference between a fiddle and a kettle drum <g>). While you posted, I was putting together my BW400CN shots. Your post makes for a great segue . I've had really good luck with the Kodak - very little color cast to my eye, but that may be my processor's work behind the scenes. I'm really happy with his work. Haven't shot XP2 yet, but your shots (along with others) have piqued my interest - Portland shots looked really good.

Best,
Kevin

03-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #2498
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
Thanks for the kind words. I do like the Ektar, even if it is a little over-the-top. I've been having a hard time getting Fuji Reala 100 from my local guy (which I like better). It's a tad more subtle (difference between a fiddle and a kettle drum <g>). While you posted, I was putting together my BW400CN shots. Your post makes for a great segue . I've had really good luck with the Kodak - very little color cast to my eye, but that may be my processor's work behind the scenes. I'm really happy with his work. Haven't shot XP2 yet, but your shots (along with others) have piqued my interest - Portland shots looked really good.

Best,
Kevin
Actually, I was just about to pick up some Ektar, and that pushes me over the edge.

I recognize Waterbury from the days when we visited my father-in-law in Danbury regularly and traveled around the state. Nice shots.
03-10-2010, 08:32 PM   #2499
Veteran Member

Gene, re the Ektar, there was a lot of discussion whether to over/under expose it for best results. I think it was Stevebrot who did some testing +/-2 stops. To my eye, it looked best when shot as rated, but YMMV. If you do a search of the film forum, you'll prolly find it.

Re Waterbury - it's an interesting place, but I missed the two most iconic buildings; the old Timex factory (which is now a museum) and the Church of Saint Anne (copper/green roof) that's quite visible from 84. Wasn't over in that neck of the woods on Saturday, so I'll have to save them for another trip. I've shot them on digital, but it just isn't the same <g>.

Best,
Kevin
03-10-2010, 08:33 PM   #2500
Veteran Member

Best,
Kevin
Kevin, Your BW400CN is 10 times better than mine! Nice contrast and tonality. You could be right about the process, I have my done at local Costco and it seems they did a better job with the XP2. I really like your Ektar and you have control the red colors much better then I seen elsewhere! I would also like to try Kodak Portra 160NC, Ultramax and Fuji Pro 160C.

David
03-10-2010, 08:47 PM   #2501
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Kevin, Your BW400CN is 10 times better than mine! Nice contrast and tonality. You could be right about the process, I have my done at local Costco and it seems they did a better job with the XP2. I really like your Ektar and you have control the red colors much better then I seen elsewhere! I would also like to try Kodak Portra 160NC, Ultramax and Fuji Pro 160C.

David
I don't think your experience is unique in that regard. Other people have posted that they've had better luck with the Ilford than the Kodak at 1 hour processors. I have my C41 stuff done at a small pro lab and the tech there really takes a lot of pride in his work. I've yet to be disappointed in anything he's done for me. When I was just starting to shoot film I had taken a couple rolls to a local Walgreens and must have gotten lucky because I was happy with the results I got there, too. Although I think quality can change a lot from store to store.

Speaking of reds...

I'm OK with the color in this shot, I just wasn't real happy with my composition and for that I can't blame anybody but me.

I've shot Portra 160NC and liked it, although not as much as some here. Ultramax has been great for me; it's readily available and fairly inexpensive. I've yet to try the Fuji, but I have a roll sitting in my fridge waiting for an opportune moment. I'd add Fuji Reala 100 to your list of films to try - it's really great stuff.

Best,
Kevin
03-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #2502
Veteran Member

Original Poster
you blink and there's a whole raft of excellent shots.
Kevin
No kidding...How awesome is that!

And people say film is dead..
03-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #2503
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here are a couple from the second roll I sent through the Mamiya 1000 DTL.

Tidy Barn

Vivitar 135/2.8, Rollei Retro 100, Edwal FG-7 1:15 for 10' @ 70F

Concrete Coils

KMZ MC Jupiter-9 85/2, Rollei Retro 100, Edwal FG-7 1:15 for 10' @ 70F

Public Art (?)

KMZ MC Jupiter-9 85/2, Rollei Retro 100, Edwal FG-7 1:15 for 10' @ 70F

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-10-2010 at 10:18 PM.
03-10-2010, 11:14 PM   #2504
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's been awhile since my last post. These were developed back in December. SuperProgram using Ultramax 400. All were with a 50mm.
Attached Images

03-10-2010, 11:22 PM   #2505
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Here are a couple from the second roll I sent through the Mamiya 1000 DTL.

Steve
Nice shots Steve! I especially like the third one; excellent tones, composition and sharpness.

David