Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43136 Likes Search this Thread
04-05-2010, 07:46 PM   #2761
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IS050 Quote
Javier, nice series, good lighting and contrast. I especially like to film grain you produced with Ilford XP2, wondering why my Ilford images does not have the same?

David
Thank you very much. I have found that by underexposing the Ilford XP-2 by 2/3 of a stop, it gives me that grain that I like. I like this about this film. I discovered this by accident really. At first I thought it was the metering in my me super, but as time passed, I realized this was true of all my slr's with XP-2. I think it has more to do with the contrasty nature of the XP-2

04-05-2010, 07:48 PM   #2762
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Inspiring work as always, Javier!

Chris
Thank you very much Chris. By the way, That ME-F has been a work horse of late. I just dropped off three rolls of Velvia 50 at the pro shop. I will get them back next week.
Thanks again!
04-05-2010, 09:15 PM   #2763
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote

Fuji 160S, Spotmatic SP, SMC Takumar 35/3.5
Awesome shot
04-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #2764
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
Awesome shot
+1...I am trying to figure it out

04-06-2010, 03:00 AM   #2765
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
Septrain - those shots make me extra-eager to get my Biotar working again. Thanks for the inspiration.
You're welcome.
04-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #2766
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Thank you very much. I have found that by underexposing the Ilford XP-2 by 2/3 of a stop, it gives me that grain that I like. I like this about this film. I discovered this by accident really. At first I thought it was the metering in my me super, but as time passed, I realized this was true of all my slr's with XP-2. I think it has more to do with the contrasty nature of the XP-2
Javier, Thanks for the tip, I did the opposites by overexpose with ISO setting! No wonder I don’t have the nice grain that found on your images. I will try underexposing next time when I shoot the Ilford XP2.

David
04-06-2010, 12:35 PM   #2767
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Your most welcome David.

Here is the last of the train station images with Ilford XP-2

04-06-2010, 05:34 PM   #2768
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok! I am cheating...

This is not a film shot, but it is basically the only way I can post something in the film forum regarding my most recent non-Pentax camera acquisition to share with all the good folk here. Soooo...Here is a link to the "real" thread...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/off-brand-camera-discussion-canon-nikon-e...tml#post983175
Steve

(I will be posting photos taken with the new toy at some point...)
04-06-2010, 05:55 PM   #2769
Veteran Member

Well, Spring has finally sprung and things have finally slowed down at the Cathedral after Holy Week and I have a few spare moments to catch up with things here on the forum. I've managed to find time to read, but not post (which may be a good thing <g>). Also managed to get some film shot, processed, and scanned.

The following are from Cedar Hill Cemetery, one of my favourite photographic haunts.

ME Super, Soligor 28 f2.5, Portra 400NC

ZX 5n, FA50 f1.4, Fuji Reala 100

This shot is a detail of Horace Wells' monument. Wells was the inventor of anesthesia and I'm mildly obsessed with this art nouveau marker. I've shot it from every angle, in every season, and in all light and weather and still haven't caught "the" shot. But I keep trying. What's that definition of insanity again?

Tree detail, same gear and film as above

I get the biggest hoot out of the color of these trees in the spring. There's an almost overwhelming sense of whimsy seeing them in so somber a setting as a cemetery. They look like...like...bubblegum.

Thanks for looking and a belated Happy Easter to all,
Kevin
04-06-2010, 06:00 PM   #2770
Veteran Member

Seeing those last shots, I'm definitely glad I ordered some Reala for the freezer.
04-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #2771
Veteran Member

In between services, I managed to get a few shots of the Cathedral and the neighboring Episcopal Church where I sang the preceding 7 years before I started at Saint Joseph's 6 years ago (damn, I'm getting old <g>.)

ME Super, M50 f1.7, Portra 400NC (All interior shots on tripod)

I'll give the Episcopalians equal time in the next post.

Best to all,
Kevin
04-06-2010, 06:14 PM   #2772
Veteran Member

As I mentioned above, the following shots are of Trinity Episcopal Church, where I used to sing prior to going to work for Rome.

ME Super, M50 f1.7, Portra 400NC

Shot these after Easter services and unfortunately, everyone had already gone home, so I couldn't take any interior shots. That'll have to wait for the next roll of film and a more opportune moment.

Best,
Kevin
04-06-2010, 06:16 PM   #2773
Veteran Member

Spring has sprung here in the desert as well. I'm not crazy about this film, but the look works some times.
LX M75-150 Walgreens 200.

04-06-2010, 06:19 PM   #2774
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Seeing those last shots, I'm definitely glad I ordered some Reala for the freezer.
I did the same thing. Finally find a film I'm in love with and it goes out of production. I'm really hoping that the rumours of a reformulation are true; not sure what I'm going to replace it with when it's gone. Ektar seems a likely candidate, but it's a little over the top for my tastes. (Although I think I'm going to load a roll of Ektar and go shoot those "bubblegum" trees with it - the Reala and Portra 400NC just don't do that hot pink justice).

Glad you stocked up Gene and I'll look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Best,
Kevin
04-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #2775
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ok! I am cheating...

This is not a film shot, but it is basically the only way I can post something in the film forum regarding my most recent non-Pentax camera acquisition to share with all the good folk here. Soooo...Here is a link to the "real" thread...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/off-brand-camera-discussion-canon-nikon-e...tml#post983175
Steve

(I will be posting photos taken with the new toy at some point...)
Steve, congratulations! I followed your link to the Chamonix page when you were shopping and was wondering where you were at in terms of making the purchase. PLEASE post some of your results in the "Show us your film shots" forum. I am sorely tempted in the same direction (although nowhere near ready to pull the trigger).

Keep us posted.

Best (and enjoy the new toy),
Kevin