Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43141 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2010, 06:32 AM   #2866
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
Jason, nothing wrong with those DC-3 shots . Glad you had a nice vacation. Sounds like you found plenty to shoot while you were away. Looking forward to more New Zealand shots.

Best,
Kevin
Thanks Kevin. Seeing you replied, I'll post a couple more. And yes, I definately wasn't lacking suitable subjects! The issue was doing the subject/s justice
These 3 shots also show the 3 types of B&W film that I took on the trip.

Flying home on the "modern DC-3" - Super Program, M50 f1.4, Fuji Acros

Routeburn flats - Super Program, M50 f1.4, Ilford FP4 125

MG car show, Christchurch NZ - Super Program, M28 f3.5, Tri-X

04-21-2010, 06:32 AM   #2867
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nesster, you've been really productive of late <g>. Can't remember which photos I've commented on and which I haven't; road to hell is paved with my good intentions. That reflective statue is a great piece. The trompe l'oeil pic you posted a while back was stellar. I never did figure out the shot 'til you posted a wider capture featuring the sculpture. That reflective surface is a potential photographic gold mine.

Re the '37 Bessa - sorry the shot was more "vintage" than what you were hoping for. That being said, the gazebo shot's a good photo in its own right and I enjoyed it anyway. What's your take on HP5? I've read several different opinions from other shooters that run the gamut from love to hate. I've only shot one roll of Ilford anything (Delta 3200 - neat stuff, but clearly specialty use). Have a roll of FP4 that I bought, but haven't shot it yet.

Re the wheel chair with the chain - talk about social commentary; doesn't say much for us as a society when someone has to worry about having a wheel chair stolen...

Like the archery shots, too. Looks like there was a great turnout for whatever the event was.

Best,
Kevin
04-21-2010, 06:40 AM   #2868
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote

Controls and instruments from a Douglas DC-3 - Super Program, M50 f1.4 and Acros

Jason, you fly with Dakota?

cool.

04-21-2010, 06:41 AM   #2869
Veteran Member

Thanks Kevin. Seeing you replied, I'll post a couple more. And yes, I definately wasn't lacking suitable subjects! The issue was doing the subject/s justice
These 3 shots also show the 3 types of B&W film that I took on the trip.
Photos snipped

Jason, looks like you had your bases covered with a variety of B&W film <g>. Nothing beats Tri-X though; if it ain't broke, don't fix it. MG show must have been an embarassment of photographic riches. Composition on this one is particularly good. Thanks for sharing and keep 'em coming. Do you shoot B&W film exclusively? Edit: Sorry for the stupid question - noticed the color DC-3 shots. I'm on vacation this week and apparently my brain is, too. What film did you use on the color shots?

Best,
Kevin

04-21-2010, 07:50 AM   #2870
Pentaxian

More fog... 320TXP, PMK Pyro

04-21-2010, 07:50 AM   #2871
Veteran Member

fearview - thanks, I wish I could fly a Dakota I peeked into the cockpit for the controls shots, and then later went for a joyflight as a passenger.

Kevin - thanks. I love Tri-X, and it was my first time with the other two. Unfortunately I didn't get any time for more than 2 shots of the MGs. Better than none though.
And I forgot to mention the colour film earlier - it was Kodak ektar 100.

Now for some more, the PBY Catalina - Super Program, M50 f1.4, Fuji Acros

PBY Catalina #2 - Super Program, M50 f1.4, Kodak ultramax 400 (I think)

Edit: Tuco - very nice

Oh and I need to mention, apparently the B&W inflight shots earlier were taken by my girlfriend, not by me. So now I am in trouble and need to identify this!
04-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #2872
Veteran Member

Should've recognized the Ektar (although your shots didn't seem to have its trademark saturated colour <g>).

A tip of the hat to your girlfriend for the inflight B&Ws and to you for fessing up.

Speaking of B&Ws and Tri-X...I finally had a chance to shoot some film for World Pentax Day on Saturday. I finished up the roll Monday and got it back today. Doesn't look like there was a whole lot of film shot for that gallery, but maybe it just hasn't been processed yet.

I posted my three favs there, but there were a few others on the roll I'd still like to share, too <g>.

ME Super, Tri-X, Soligor 28 f2.5, Coltsville section of Hartford.

Next two are from Congress Street, Same gear as above

Same gear, Wethersfield Avenue

Best to all,
Kevin

04-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #2873
Veteran Member

Same roll, different day <g>.

ME Super, Tri-X, Soligor 28 f2.5

Courtyard, Trinity Church

Facade, Trinity Church

Facade, Trinity Church, Another view

Best,
Kevin
04-21-2010, 04:52 PM   #2874
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very nice stuff, Kevin.
04-21-2010, 05:13 PM   #2875
Veteran Member

Gene, many thanks. It was nice to shoot some film for a change. I had a couple of "assignments" for school and some events that required digital, so it was nice to come "home".

Best,
Kevin
04-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #2876
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Jason, thank you for the DC-3 - I'd love some of the passenger area and outside, if you have any. My first flight was on one, and even later on each time I flew on one it was totally exciting... the angle of the plane when on the ground, then the tail lifting off...
Jussi - you are welcome. Sorry I didn't see your post to start with, nice images too.
Yeah, the angle of the plane when boarding and the tail lifting off are something that needs to be experienced. The crew of this DC-3 affectionately referred to it as a "tail dragger".

I'll get some more DC-3 shots together for you when I can.

Kevin - Great Tri-X shots there
04-21-2010, 07:47 PM   #2877
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I'm enjoying these vintage camera photos. I also have a Kodak Six-16 folder that was my grandmothers, that I hope to get up and running soonish. I think it was made 1932-34, and has a 120mm f6.3 anastigmat lens Getting film to fit may be tricky.

I'l finally post a couple of photos from the 9 or so rolls that I recently shot on holiday. Initially I was very disappointed with the results overall, but while there are no masterpieces, I think I was just in a strange mood when first viewing =\

Controls and instruments from a Douglas DC-3 - Super Program, M50 f1.4 and Acros

DC-3 Instruments - Super Program, M50 f1.4 and Acros
04-21-2010, 09:09 PM   #2878
Veteran Member

Haha thanks Javier
Right now I wish the GPS and digital clock weren't visible in those shots... :/

Here's a Lavochkin La-9, the only one in the world still in flying condition, and damn it was fast!

edit: Super Program, M50 f1.4 and I think this was Fuji acros
04-21-2010, 10:17 PM   #2879
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Steve Makes Good With the Chamonix

As many of you know, I took the large format plunge a few weeks ago with the purchase of a Chamonix 045N-2 4x5 view camera. You now have the pleasure of seeing some of the initial test shots I have made as I learn to use this camera. These were all taken with 120 roll film (6x7) and scanned as low resolution 400 dpi jpeg proofs with an Epson V700.

Exposure #2

Caltar II-N 150/5.6, Fuji Neopan Acros 100 @ ISO 160, Edwal FG-7 1:15 for 9' @ 70F

The doll was pressed into service for the second shot I attempted with the new camera. The first shot sucked...chopped off the top of the doll's head. The high-key affect was intentional.

Tulip Test I

Caltar II-N 150/5.6, Fuji Neopan Acros 100 @ ISO 160, Edwal FG-7 1:15 for 9' @ 70F

The garden has been producing tons of tulips for me. Excellent and very patient subjects...

Tulip Test II

There is a color version of this one taken with the K10D (LINK)

Vista House and Crown Point

Caltar II-N 90/6.8, Yellow (K2) filter, Fuji Neopan Acros 100 @ ISO 160, Edwal FG-7 1:15 for 9' @ 70F

This was the sole landscape image from these initial test shots. Not too bad for a beginner, I'd say This one would benefit from a higher resolution scan.

Tulip Test III

Caltar II-N 90/6.8, Rollei Retro 80s @ ISO 160, Edwal FG-7 1:15 for 10' @ 70F

This one is the odd one out being that was taken with Rollei Retro 80s film. Please forgive the distracting background. I am going to have to get out and do some landscapes with this film since it is supposed to have lower blue sensitivity along with enhanced red-end. Sort of like shooting with a minus blue filter. This initial roll was a guestimate in terms of development. Appears to have worked My only real comment at this point is that it too suffers from pretty nasty curl, but at least it is longitudinal only

Steve

(In case anyone is wondering...The V700 is a really nice machine. The negative holders are taking some time getting used to, but the scans are pretty fine so far...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-21-2010 at 10:24 PM.
04-22-2010, 02:46 AM   #2880
Veteran Member

Stevebrot, that landscape is absolutely stunning. Fantastic composition.