Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2010, 06:58 PM   #3511
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I usually don't shoot a lot of people on film. I tend to do my portraiture with digital, but back in June the academy I teach at asked me to shoot the "Peace Fest". Again, did most of it on digital, but managed to shoot a roll of film for myself.

SuperProgram, M50 f2, CVS 200 (rebadged Fuji)

Shot from the roof of the parking garage

Shots like this are why my colleagues love me...

Last one...couldn't resist the sneakers in the middle of the frame.

Best to all,
Kevin

07-16-2010, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #3512

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Thanks Frank. They do to me also, that is why I am asking. I am wondering if this is simply the film, the scanning or ??? More opinions please.
Velvia is all about over-the-top color. I love it, but tend to avoid it for people.

I scan my own stuff and Velvia does tend to have a purply cast to it, but in the shadows more than the skies. The nice thing about slides is you can see if the cast is present in the originals, or was introduced in the scanning process.

Willow Steam Plant, Hasselblad 500c/m, 80mm Planar, Velvia 100:

Graffitti, Yashica Electro 35GSN, Velvia 100:

This one definitely has a color cast. Yashica Electro 35GSN, Velvia 100:

Here's a crazy mixed lighting effect. Daylight, tungsten and light from the TV. Yashica Electro 35GSN, Velvia 100:

I've shot a lot of Velvia in the past two years. You can browse on Flickr.
07-17-2010, 07:06 AM   #3513
Veteran Member

The last two are wild, candy color and dimensional... good combo, Velvia and Hassy

~~~~

I shot this through our screened porch, the sun was setting behind the wisteria. Tamron Adaptall-2 01a 35-80 SP, P/ES adaptall, Pentax ES-II, Ferrania 400

07-17-2010, 09:16 AM   #3514
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jussi, that's really come out rather well, an interesting shot.

07-17-2010, 11:54 AM   #3515
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
I'll second the oversaturated comment. As far as it being the film, I haven't seen enough Velvia to know. I've only shot one roll and I had some serious issues with the way it was processed. Have another roll of it in the fridge, which, when I get around to shooting it, I'll certainly have processed somewhere else.

Best,
Kevin
Thanks Kev.
This was only my second roll of Velvia ever and the first roll I shot did not seem as crazy as this one to me. Same shop and same mad price. But to me it looks like my K100DS set to vibrant mode.
07-17-2010, 11:56 AM   #3516

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Jack, the first two look jaggedy to me... my theory is that imgwide messed with them, so I'm qoting this as a plain img to see if that helps.

Looks like it did... that is some awesome blue/green tone on that Kodachrome. WOW
Yeah, it did help, thanks. I'll fix the original post.

That roll of kodachrome I believe expired in 2003, so, there just a little blue shift I like the effect, though.
07-17-2010, 11:58 AM   #3517
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Javier, that's slide film so you don't get prints Velvia is too saturated, ie. hyperreal, which is its appeal. The scans do have color balance issues - though you should be able to correct these yourself. "Pro" scanner services should be using film profiles to get the best possible results, but I suppose most don't.

Slide film development and scanning is more expensive than color print, but that's an awfully high price you paid. I just paid Dwayne's to develop & scan 2 rolls of 120 film, one slide and one print, for $24.43...

They'll do 36 mounted slides from 35mm film for $8.50 and scan them for $4.95 more.
They develop 35mm or 120 C41 for $3.99 and scan em for $2.99 - that's CVS pricing, but better scans, though you do have to pay postage on top.

By the way, I have trouble scanning Velvia at home, it's damn difficult to get things even approximately right, and I went crazy looking at various very different presentations, depending on choices made during the scan, and the different scanning softwares I used.
Thanks Nesster. So it seems we are agreement that the film is over saturated, but that this is normal for this film? I just bought more but I did buy 120 film this time for my 645n. Time to use it.

07-17-2010, 11:59 AM   #3518
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jzietman Quote
I have no idea why, but I really like this image!
07-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #3519
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Javier, unfortunately I don't have a calibrated monitor either, but I will say that the last 3 look to have 'purple' skies to me. I have no experience with slide (yet) so I cannot comment further...

You don't want to know how much slide dev and scanning costs in AU, nor the retail price of the film
Thank you so much for the comments. On my Calibrated monitor at home, the colors do not look no place near crazy. My uncalibrated monitor at work is quite different though..Much more saturated.
07-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #3520
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The price seems high to me as well, particularly considering the quality of the scans. There is significant artifact in the sky of a couple of the shots. As for sky color, it looks gray with a light purple tint on my laptop. I will take a look later with my good monitor.

As for the colors...VIVA VELVIA!!!

Velvia is known for its high contrast and extreme color. It is the true favorite for dramatic landscape photography.

Steve
Thanks Steve. I noticed the artifacts as well and that is one of my pet peeves. It is like if they tried to fix them or something. I think I will scan a few myself and see if it works with my view scan.
07-17-2010, 12:07 PM   #3521
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nedski Quote
Velvia is all about over-the-top color. I love it, but tend to avoid it for people.

I scan my own stuff and Velvia does tend to have a purply cast to it, but in the shadows more than the skies. The nice thing about slides is you can see if the cast is present in the originals, or was introduced in the scanning process.

Willow Steam Plant, Hasselblad 500c/m, 80mm Planar, Velvia 100:

Graffitti, Yashica Electro 35GSN, Velvia 100:

This one definitely has a color cast. Yashica Electro 35GSN, Velvia 100:

Here's a crazy mixed lighting effect. Daylight, tungsten and light from the TV. Yashica Electro 35GSN, Velvia 100:

I've shot a lot of Velvia in the past two years. You can browse on Flickr.
Thank you so much and I really enjoyed your flickr. I also saw where indeed the colors where similar to what I got, but you used the film in its proper context...Huge difference!
07-17-2010, 12:08 PM   #3522
Veteran Member

Thanks Frank. They do to me also, that is why I am asking. I am wondering if this is simply the film, the scanning or ??? More opinions please.
It's a far cry from your 99 cent film.

I like the vivid colors, but I'm not sure I'd spring for a total cost of over $30, I'd do it too often.
07-17-2010, 12:15 PM   #3523
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
It's a far cry from your 99 cent film.

I like the vivid colors, but I'm not sure I'd spring for a total cost of over $30, I'd do it too often.
I agree. For me it comes down to economics. I simply can't spend this kind of money on my hobby. This does not seem right to me, not to mention the cost of the film itself.
07-17-2010, 01:15 PM   #3524
Veteran Member

@Nedski - I, too, looked at your Velvia shots on flickr...really nice stuff. I want point for recognizing Philadelphia . I wanted to ask you if you had shot Velvia both in ASA 50 and ASA100 flavors and if you had aesthetic reason for shooting the ASA100 flavor or whether it was simply a matter of it being faster film and getting faster shutter speeds? If you do see a visual difference, could you share what it is? Inquiring minds want to know <g>...

@Javier - The film thing is getting a little too expensive. I had a 36 exp roll of Plus X done the other day - developed, scanned, and printed - and it ran me $27 plus tax. For this kind of ching I won't be shooting as much film as I did last summer and when I do, I'm going to be a lot more picky about my shots. I'm using two local "pro" labs (basicallly the only ones remaining in business in my area) and this seems to be the going rate. I'm very happy with their work and they are certainlly entitled to make a living, but it may be time for me to start doing my own B&Ws and give up on having everything I shoot printed (for proofing purposes.

Best to you both,
Kevin
07-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #3525
Veteran Member

I agree. For me it comes down to economics. I simply can't spend this kind of money on my hobby. This does not seem right to me, not to mention the cost of the film itself.
Even more reasonable processing of slide film, plus the film itself is going to get you near the $20 mark. I make a good income, but it's tough to blow 50 cents on each exposure of 135, especially if you are doing street shooting where I often have several misses for each hit. For streets, I'm moving toward B&W. You get to the essence of the moment, and cost is not a big factor.