Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Slash doing solo, i believe either in Slither or Paradise City song

Olympus Mju-II + Superia Extra 400 expired 2008

08-05-2010, 04:45 AM   #3677

QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
Slash doing solo, i believe either in Slither or Paradise City song

Olympus Mju-II + Superia Extra 400 expired 2008
Awesome concert shot! Where was it taken?

A-Ma Temple, Macao (Tri-X in D-76 1:1)

08-05-2010, 05:29 AM   #3678
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by easytiger Quote
Awesome concert shot! Where was it taken?

A-Ma Temple, Macao (Tri-X in D-76 1:1)
Jakarta, recently he doing Asia - Australia tour i believe..
08-05-2010, 05:44 AM   #3679
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Hi Kevin, nice shots in this post and I found your journey with the Nikon pretty interesting. I like the train shot too.
What do you think of the M28 on film? I have been using mine on film more lately and I'm pretty happy with the sharpness and image quality etc. I do have a bit of a 'lust' for a faster 28mm f/2 though.
BTW, Have you heard any more from your student friend who was in Perth for a while?

(text snipped)

Here's a shot I took with my M28 f/3.5. Not really very interesting but I kind of like it anyway

Pentax MX, M28 f/3.5, Kodak Ektar 100
Jason, glad you enjoyed the Nikon story. I think that one of the things I like about shooting film is the opportunity it affords to shooting multiple mounts in a way that wasn't economically feasible when these models were all current. Came into a Minolta XG-1n (for free), but that's a story for another post...Don't sell that photo short; composition is fine and the colors really make it.

Re my old student in Perth; a day or two after you and I spoke, he was off to Coral Beach. From his facebook postings, it sounds like his laptop went up in smoke and he was incommunicado - sounds like he's back in the States with a ton of good memories. I ought to look in and see if he's posted any more P&S shots...

Re the M28 f3.5 - I really enjoy that lens a lot and have had really good luck with it. If I remember right from the reviews here on the forum, the 3.5 is supposed to be sharper than the f2. Have to admit that I'm interested in the faster lens, too, but if I take a step back and think about it, most of the low light shooting I do I end up using digital, so for me when I'm shooting film, speed isn't so critical...

I went back to look for another shot with the M28 to post here and saw that I've posted most of them previously here: (Church of the Good Shepherd and the quarry shots above).I also have a Soligor lens in this focal length and it's a little faster - f2.5, but it only has a minimum <?> aperture of f16. Still it's a focal length I like to play with, although I seem to prefer 35mm on film.

ME Super, Soligor 28 f2.5, Portra 400NC

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Thanks Kevin. I picked up XA a few weeks back at a thrift store for $2.99. The car shot was from the test roll. It seems to work fine though the meter is off by 2 stops.
It is a nice little camera. It is the first RF I've ever used so it took some getting used to.
Your EM story and shots are great. I love the rose shot.I have an EM that belongs to my sister, I'll have to give it a whirl. The Super Program shots are great also.
Colton, thanks for the info on the XA. Sounds like the price was right <g>. Hope you tested the meter against a handheld or another camera - I'm famous for throwing a roll of film in a new-to-me camera, shooting first and asking questions after I've paid for the processing to see the results .

Glad you liked the rose shot. It always makes me laugh - you can sweat over a shot and do everything right and come up with nothing, and then when you don't even think you're taking a picture with a completely unfamiliar camera, you can get a memorable image. That expired Max film is a hoot - still can't get over there was still a full roll of film in the camera. (Was transferring some old video tapes of the X files <recorded off air replete with commercials> to DVD the other day and saw a couple commercials for Max film. Made me smile to think how much the world has changed in the past 10+ years. At the time that tape was recorded, I don't think I even owned a camera.

By all means run a roll through the EM and post your stuff here - I'd love to hear your impressions of the camera.

Best to all,
Kevin

08-05-2010, 05:56 AM   #3680
Veteran Member

@Easytiger - as always, I love your B&Ws - nap and temple shots above are first-rate (as was the "moon" shot a page or two back ). Out of curiosity, what body and lens were you shooting?

@ fearview - I'll second easytiger's comment; that shot of Slash was outstanding. All the theatre stuff I shoot I do on digital - I'm too chicken to do it on film <g>. Bravo!

Best,
Kevin
08-05-2010, 06:38 AM   #3681

QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
@Easytiger - as always, I love your B&Ws - nap and temple shots above are first-rate (as was the "moon" shot a page or two back ). Out of curiosity, what body and lens were you shooting?
A Nikon F6 + 50mm. The F6 obviously eats my MZ-7 for lunch, but I prefer the Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4 to the F mount equivalent.
08-05-2010, 08:16 AM   #3682
Veteran Member

Easytiger, thanks for the info. I'm a huge fan of the FA50, too, but you're right about the F6 - I don't think that Pentax made a body in that league...

Best,
Kevin

08-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #3683
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few from the FA31 with Fuji Provia 400X slide film.

Feet!

Sleeping beauty

08-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #3684

Ruínas de São Paulo, Macao:

(Tri-X in D-76 1:1)

08-05-2010, 07:45 PM   #3685

QuoteOriginally posted by easytiger Quote
Nap, Rio Hotel, Macao:

(Tri-X in D-76 1:1)
I love this. Bravo.
08-06-2010, 12:01 AM   #3686
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote

@ fearview - I'll second easytiger's comment; that shot of Slash was outstanding. All the theatre stuff I shoot I do on digital - I'm too chicken to do it on film <g>. Bravo!

Best,
Kevin
Kevin thank you, im flattered.. me using film just because one thing .. they wont allow me to bring a pro camera DSLR to arena. . and my K20D is too expensive nowadays to get smashed with all those jumping fans. and im his fans too.. so bring a mju and MZ-5.. small enough to get passed by security guard..

i was nervous with result .. waiting him for too long me lucky i have two or three frame good enough to keep.
08-06-2010, 04:26 AM   #3687
Veteran Member

@fearview, that's the thing with film...you don't know what you've got until you get it back from the lab (or process it yourself). In talking with the owner of the photoshop I frequent and the labs where I get my film processed, and it's clear a significant chunk of business back in the day was selling and processing a lot of crap just to get at the "keepers". With the cost of processing, I would have to want a specific shot really badly before I would even consider bracketing an exposure on flm.

Again, really nice capture.

Best,
Kevin
08-06-2010, 03:14 PM   #3688

Photos: Albums
Super A, DA L 18-55, Kodak Gold 200

08-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #3689

Photos: Albums
Super A, A 50 (1.7), Kodak Gold 200

08-06-2010, 08:48 PM   #3690
Veteran Member