Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43116 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #4291
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Agnostic Quote
Anyway I think your shots are technically very good (maybe better than mine I get a bit lazy sometimes, focusing more on composition and capturing the scene I want than on accurate exposure), there is a lot of shadow detail in your shots, even if you screw up the contrast and blacks a bit.
Yes I like to have details in the shadows which is why I develop and scan flat, and I do not put much black - just having a few pixels going to 1. I agree with you that I need to find a happy balance so that the shots have more visual impact.

I'm curious to see some of your other shots if you go back to them. Please share your results.
I plan to do that this week-end. Maybe I should create our very own special thread for this so that I do not hijack this thread?

Question.
When you spread the histogram on the dam shot, what did you use in Photoshop:
1) just curve
2) curve plus "Soft Light"
3) contrast with threshold
4) level
5) Equalize on a copy layer
6)....

I use a combination of some of the above depending on the shot.

Cheers,

Luc

11-12-2010, 12:39 PM   #4292
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
Yes I like to have details in the shadows which is why I develop and scan flat, and I do not put much black - just having a few pixels going to 1. I agree with you that I need to find a happy balance so that the shots have more visual impact.

I plan to do that this week-end. Maybe I should create our very own special thread for this so that I do not hijack this thread?

Question.
When you spread the histogram on the dam shot, what did you use in Photoshop:
1) just curve
2) curve plus "Soft Light"
3) contrast with threshold
4) level
5) Equalize on a copy layer
6)....

I use a combination of some of the above depending on the shot.

Cheers,

Luc
I don't remember exactly what I did to your dam shot.

I used contrast and a little bit of curves for sure. I think I remember I also used a little bit of levels but I could be mistaken.

Sometimes I also use a bit of shadows/higlights with the show more options box switched on for extra control to recover some highlights but not on this one.

I must admit on b@w pp I rarely look at the histogram, I just go by what I see on the screen and whether I like it or not.

On my last few rolls I have also been using a plugin called NIK Silver Efex Pro on some shots, which has a structure option that does something similar to increasing micro contrast.

I never tried curves plus Soft Light, should give that a try some time.

Let me know if you put the results in a different thread, I'm curious to see the outcome.
11-12-2010, 01:01 PM   #4293

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
The Stylus is underrated. Nice shot.
Thanks a lot GeneV for your positive comment.
11-12-2010, 01:08 PM   #4294
Veteran Member

On my last few rolls I have also been using a plugin called NIK Silver Efex Pro on some shots, which has a structure option that does something similar to increasing micro contrast.
I use the good old USM with large pixel to increase micro contrast plus the soft light layer with 20% opacity.
In case you do not want to fork the $$$ for NIK Silver Efex.

I have most of what I am doing setup as action and droplet so the leg work is done automatically and I just need to do the fine tuning. Big files but I just flatten when finished.

Cheers,

Luc

11-12-2010, 01:23 PM   #4295
Veteran Member

Fuji 160S, ProgramPlus FA 43
11-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #4296
Veteran Member

Hand painting:

11-12-2010, 09:03 PM   #4297

More scans from a roll or two of 400 ASA Fujicolor Superia

Shots from China with an old Olympus Stylus after my DSLR's battery went flat. Taken in Beijing Summer Palace. I was happier with these than the hundreds I took with my DSLR.

Attached Images

11-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #4298
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
I use the good old USM with large pixel to increase micro contrast plus the soft light layer with 20% opacity...

Luc
You can also use the highpass filter and vary the radius to get the look you like. Can also be used for sharpening with a small radius. I usually duplicate the layer, set the blend to softlight with 45% opacity, then run the Highpass filter to see the effect. You can then fine tune with the layer opacity. You can also control the effect with a matte. Very similar to the unsharp mask route, but thought I'd chime in anyway. Photoshop has so many ways to skin a cat!
11-13-2010, 01:25 AM   #4299
Veteran Member

PPG Plaza, Pittsburgh

ME Super, Fujichrome 200, 50mm f1.7 lens, scanned with a Nikon V using D-ICE. There is a lot of detail visible in the large size but nothing, of course, compared to the original scan!

11-13-2010, 05:45 AM   #4300
Veteran Member

From 2006, ZX-10, F 35-80 4-5.6, didn't record the film

11-13-2010, 05:43 PM   #4301
Veteran Member

Let me know if you put the results in a different thread, I'm curious to see the outcome.

OK I have opened a new thread with a few images for which I increased the contrast (by my standard)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/film-processing-scanning-darkroom/122498-...ml#post1264650

Cheers,

Luc
11-13-2010, 08:23 PM   #4302
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Hi Folks.
This morning my wife talked me into going to an estate sale. Boy am I glad I went. The estate sale was for some missionaries that passed away and left a treasure chest of photos and slides from all over the world. Needles to say I will be scanning for a while and creating a web page to show some of these folks work There is some stuff that is brilliant. Pictures from the 30's to the mid 70's from all over the world. I also picked up a journal with articles dating back to the 30's as well. Money I had set a side to buy a new lens went bye, bye....

Will post images as soon as I scan them little by little.

11-14-2010, 03:03 AM   #4303
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Hi Folks.
This morning my wife talked me into going to an estate sale. Boy am I glad I went. The estate sale was for some missionaries that passed away and left a treasure chest of photos and slides from all over the world. Needles to say I will be scanning for a while and creating a web page to show some of these folks work There is some stuff that is brilliant. Pictures from the 30's to the mid 70's from all over the world. I also picked up a journal with articles dating back to the 30's as well. Money I had set a side to buy a new lens went bye, bye....

That's very cool!
11-14-2010, 03:11 AM   #4304
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
A few recent shots from my FED-2 + Jupiter-8. Film Fortepan-100 as 200 ISO, souped in Pyrocat 1,5:1,5:100, looks somewhat grainy.

It's my wife who shot me in front of this beauty nature:

Thank you!
11-14-2010, 10:43 AM   #4305
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Hi Folks.

What an incredible privilege! The one of the people on stilts says it all. Am I correct in assuming that everything is documented? What church/denomination sponsored these people and where did they do their work?

Steve