Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43060 Likes Search this Thread
11-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #4366
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Newly acquired Sears KS-2(Ricoh XR-7); first roll through Kodak Ultramax400 & M50mm f1.7. Very nice camera and definitely exceeded my expectations.
(Thanks to Steve (stevebrot) !)

David

11-24-2010, 05:56 PM   #4367
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
ME, Kodak Gold 200, M 50mm f/1.7
Nice 280, I like the shot

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Canoe, Susquehanna River by Nesster, on Flickr
Foma 100 in D-76 1:1, Nikon FE, Nikkor 35mm f/2
Lovely canoe shot, really like the tone and the DoF.

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
The week-end before I took out the K-28/2 - one very sweat lens.
All images with LX, K28/2, APX100 developed in Rodinal Spezial a.k.a Studional

Between these two I cannot decide:

1)with people
2) without

Cheers,

Luc
Luc, one of the 28 f/2 lenses has been on my wish list for a while...
Your forest and outdoor shots are always good to view. I must say that I like 1) with people better. IMO having people in a landscape shot can help give it context, works for me in your shot.

QuoteOriginally posted by IS050 Quote
Newly acquired Sears KS-2(Ricoh XR-7); first roll through Kodak Ultramax400 & M50mm f1.7. Very nice camera and definitely exceeded my expectations.
David
Lovely results David. Great colour and sharpness.
11-24-2010, 06:16 PM   #4368
Veteran Member

Scanned this roll of Ektar 100 recently, of a hotrod car show I went to recently.
It is with some relief that this roll came out exposed evenly, as I fell prone to an almost comedic series of errors on the day.
So I took my 67, MX and digital K200D, with the aim to take mostly digital shots for once, with 2-3 rolls film. Shot through the one remaining roll of 120 film I had in the 67, packed it away and pulled out the digital. Turned it on and realised that I had left my SD cards at home...
Ok no worries, got over that and decided it would be a film only day. Pulled out the MX, composed a shot and then realised that the battery was dead, so no light meter!
With some frustration, the digital came back out to be used as an expensive light metering device. For the first time, the 'preview shot' function actually was quite useful. Set my exposure on the MX and went from there.

Lessons learnt:
- Always check for recording media before going out (this is perhaps the first time I forgot to check!)
- Mechanical cameras are awesome!

MX, M50 f/1.4, Kodak Ektar 100, manual exposure

11-24-2010, 07:01 PM   #4369
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Ok no worries, got over that and decided it would be a film only day. Pulled out the MX, composed a shot and then realised that the battery was dead, so no light meter!
- Mechanical cameras are awesome!

What about spending $40 on a Gossen pilot and you can do incident metering and your are safe without worrying about batteries.

The shots came out good anyway but just makes life easier.

Cheers,

Luc

11-24-2010, 07:04 PM   #4370
Veteran Member

Luc, one of the 28 f/2 lenses has been on my wish list for a while...
Your forest and outdoor shots are always good to view. I must say that I like 1) with people better. IMO having people in a landscape shot can help give it context, works for me in your shot.
Thanks - I do prefer the shot with my wife and my dog - but it is also my wife and my dog so I am partial

You can start saving and look around as this puppy is not offered very often and cost a bunch as a consequence.
You might want to consider the 30/2.8 as a reasonable alternative.

Cheers,

Luc
11-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #4371
Veteran Member

What about spending $40 on a Gossen pilot and you can do incident metering and your are safe without worrying about batteries.

The shots came out good anyway but just makes life easier.

Cheers,

Luc
Yes, I really should do just that A light meter would be handy on any number of occasions.

Thanks - I do prefer the shot with my wife and my dog - but it is also my wife and my dog so I am partial

You can start saving and look around as this puppy is not offered very often and cost a bunch as a consequence.
You might want to consider the 30/2.8 as a reasonable alternative.

Cheers,

Luc
Yeah, I have seen the A28/2 and M28/2 a couple of times, but I don't think I have ever seen the K28/2 for sale. Expensive and hard to find for sure. Nice if you have one though... I would like a faster 28mm for use on digital too.

cheers

Oh, not all of the cars were red!

11-24-2010, 08:10 PM   #4372
Veteran Member

Lovely results David. Great colour and sharpness.
Thanks Jason, I really like the saturation and vivid color of the Ektar, just bought 2 rolls and will give it a try this weekend. Wondering what scanner you use; it looks so much better than my local minilab.

David

11-24-2010, 09:05 PM   #4373
Veteran Member

Thanks Jason, I really like the saturation and vivid color of the Ektar, just bought 2 rolls and will give it a try this weekend. Wondering what scanner you use; it looks so much better than my local minilab.

David
Hi David,
Have fun with the Ektar. To be precise, I use the Epson V700 flatbed scanner, scanning at 2400dpi using the factory Epson 35mm film holder and Epson scan software. Provided that the negatives are flat, I am happy with the results. I still did a bit of sharpening, contrast, colour and white balance adjustment in Lightroom. Sharpening is almost always neccessary and the white balance and colour adjustment is because the scanner software cannot seem to figure out Ektar all the time. I am not convinced that I get it right all the time either, but just try and do it to my taste, more or less.

cheers
11-24-2010, 10:43 PM   #4374
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

David

I have enjoyed my XR7 and thought you might like it. Glad it met your expectations.

Steve
11-24-2010, 11:13 PM   #4375
Veteran Member

Hi David,
Have fun with the Ektar. To be precise, I use the Epson V700 flatbed scanner, scanning at 2400dpi using the factory Epson 35mm film holder and Epson scan software. Provided that the negatives are flat, I am happy with the results. I still did a bit of sharpening, contrast, colour and white balance adjustment in Lightroom. Sharpening is almost always neccessary and the white balance and colour adjustment is because the scanner software cannot seem to figure out Ektar all the time. I am not convinced that I get it right all the time either, but just try and do it to my taste, more or less.

cheers
I have read good review of the Epson V700, but it’s always good to have actual user review and see the fantastic results. Thank you for the detail info. Much appreciated.

David
11-24-2010, 11:27 PM   #4376
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have enjoyed my XR7 and thought you might like it. Glad it met your expectations.

Steve
Thanks again for pointing me to the Ricoh XR7, it has all the feature I'm looking for and a great bargain.

David
11-24-2010, 11:30 PM   #4377
Veteran Member

I have read good review of the Epson V700, but it’s always good to have actual user review and see the fantastic results. Thank you for the detail info. Much appreciated.

David
There's a fair bit of information on scanning around here, I owe a lot of thanks to the more experienced members on PF for helping me out quite a few times now. You might be interested in reading this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/film-processing-scanning-darkroom/102924-...-examples.html
Which was a discussion around when I decided to buy the V700.
I also did my own example towards the end of the thread with 100% crops.

cheers
11-25-2010, 12:14 AM   #4378
Veteran Member

There's a fair bit of information on scanning around here, I owe a lot of thanks to the more experienced members on PF for helping me out quite a few times now. You might be interested in reading this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/film-processing-scanning-darkroom/102924-...-examples.html
Which was a discussion around when I decided to buy the V700.
I also did my own example towards the end of the thread with 100% crops.

cheers
Thank you for the thread and I will read it over.

David
11-25-2010, 04:45 AM   #4379
Veteran Member

Oh, not all of the cars were red!
Indeed, I think Ektar does the other colors better
11-26-2010, 01:13 AM   #4380
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
From a short walk today.
Ilford XP-2 underexposed a full stop for added grain and contrast.

The rest of the roll can be found here.
Thanks for looking.